Electronic cruise control 250-1223 - Page 2 - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:21 PM

Installed my new Rostra 250-1223

I do not understand why we have to use the 250-4369 signal spilter. I reviewed serveral posts in this forum and others, I even reviewed posts on other forums with the same type installations on other bikes and all of them are using the same signal splitter. I hooked mine up over the Christmas break without the splitter and all the safety systems are working however, I am not getting a clean signal from the VSS and it does not regulate the spead correctly. I plan on posting my installation with pics and drawings based on my method however, It seems as though I need to buy the signal splitter. I am gong to try a few more adjustments on the swithces before I break down and buy that piece and wire it up.
Either way I will get there. What I really want to know is did anyone try adjustments of the the keys first before they purchased that splitter?
If you did what were those adjustments made, and can you provide some examples of what adjisments you made and most importantly did anyone get the 1223 to work without the splitter?

AlvinVTXMad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to danater
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassolasm View Post
I do not understand why we have to use the 250-4369 signal spilter. I reviewed serveral posts in this forum and others, I even reviewed posts on other forums with the same type installations on other bikes and all of them are using the same signal splitter. I hooked mine up over the Christmas break without the splitter and all the safety systems are working however, I am not getting a clean signal from the VSS and it does not regulate the spead correctly. I plan on posting my installation with pics and drawings based on my method however, It seems as though I need to buy the signal splitter. I am gong to try a few more adjustments on the swithces before I break down and buy that piece and wire it up.
Either way I will get there. What I really want to know is did anyone try adjustments of the the keys first before they purchased that splitter?
If you did what were those adjustments made, and can you provide some examples of what adjisments you made and most importantly did anyone get the 1223 to work without the splitter?
I dont know if you have a oscilloscope but you can watch the signal on there. the vss on these bikes is finicky at best and at worst its downright trash.
if your getting surging then its because you dont have a splitter. The reason why you have to have the splitter is because the vss creates the signal at 4x what the cruise can interpret. thus the reason for the 4x splitter. if you dont have the splitter then youll get surging and uncontrollable bursts because its using the tach signal as well as the vss to control properly. I did make my own splitter but its my voltage follower circuit built up to keep my vss not causing a FI light.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Canyon, tx
2003 VTX 1800R
HID headlight, psycho accent lights, how to section has a cruise control
Something Something Something DARKSIDE michelin hydroedge 205/65 R16
sent from my R2D2 unit on TATOOINE
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 04:58 PM

Thank you Danater

I went ahead and purschased the Splitter, however I bought the X2 and not the X4. Seems to be working fine now.

AlvinVTXMad

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:00 PM

I am having a hard time getting mine to work. I followed manager's instructions and had no trouble with the connections under the seat. But when I got to the headlight I ran into trouble. To begin with I can't find a pink wire with a green stripe. Secondly, I'm not sure about the wiring for the relay. Has anyone taken the time to draw a wiring diagram? Could you elaborate on exactly which wire you connected to on the coil for the tach?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:02 PM

I meant to say I followed the instructions above. Not manager's.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 11:55 PM

Finally

Well, let me add this followup to this old post. I added a speed sensor to the rear swingarm. Tried the speed sensor on the bike, glitchy. I had the splitter, made an amplifier circuit still acted weird. Maybe it was my tach lead, dunno. But the add on sensor is stone simple (not sexy) but it works. We did 500 miles this weekend and it rocked all the way +/- 1 mph. Very nice to pay attention to the road and not my speed.

Dip switches on mine are all off except #7. Normally open switches is how I made my switch box.

I had to disconnect the tach lead and ground it. Other sites echoed my issue (engage for a few minutes and drop off) and Rostra recommended to disconnect and ground it out. Could be that we are two cylinders and that may make the module a little nuts. Or, we just have some rfi issues and they have a weak filter.

What I did: Added the Rostra speed sensor and bracket with it anchored on the RH swingarm. I added 3 magnets to the rear wheel RH side inside the depression for the disc. JB weld does it again. If there is any brake dust on the magnets it will get cleaned off when I clean the rear wheel (as is the ritual anyway).

Next I will circle back and add a clutch disconnect using the neutral detect on the module. From what I see another relay and maybe a diode ought to get it done simply. Plus now that it works, I will machine out an aluminum sensor cover to hide the ugly.

NOTE: If you add the external sensor from rostra shorten the provided harness to just what you need. Do not bundle it up. There is no shielding and it will act strangely if not at all.

Just a guy named Dan reliving his childhood on a 800 lb Gorilla Bike!
2008 VTX 1800 F, VH Bigshots with Big City Thunder Baffles, Thunder Hurricane, PCIII, Desmog, ISO Grips w Throttle Boss, Mustang Seats, Kuryakyn Ergo Engine Guards w Silver Bullet Driving Lights, MTC Clutch, Dual AEM Wideband AF Meters, WOLO Horn, Rostra Electronic Cruise Control.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to danater
Sorry to hear about your troubles guys, i am currently without a test piece (college tuition suuuuuucks)
I had an 03 vtx r so some connections are going to be different. If you dont have the exact bike. As for going forward with connections in the headlight, sometimes its easier to connect in closer to the computer, make for sure its the outgoing wire for the speedo, not incoming. Also the vtx has a very "dirty" speedo signal, looking on an oscilloscope will show you a pretty ragged signal. Do not add more wire than necessary to allow for flex. It will induce interference. Any other questions email me, im trying to get another bike but it will probly be when im out of college in a year.
1old man likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Canyon, tx
2003 VTX 1800R
HID headlight, psycho accent lights, how to section has a cruise control
Something Something Something DARKSIDE michelin hydroedge 205/65 R16
sent from my R2D2 unit on TATOOINE
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 PM

Thanks Danater

Thanks for monitoring and continuing to help us along. Long struggle, but worth it. The Rostra works great.

Just a guy named Dan reliving his childhood on a 800 lb Gorilla Bike!
2008 VTX 1800 F, VH Bigshots with Big City Thunder Baffles, Thunder Hurricane, PCIII, Desmog, ISO Grips w Throttle Boss, Mustang Seats, Kuryakyn Ergo Engine Guards w Silver Bullet Driving Lights, MTC Clutch, Dual AEM Wideband AF Meters, WOLO Horn, Rostra Electronic Cruise Control.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 06:25 PM

Rostra

Excellent write up. I was checking out the company and it turns out they are about 10 minutes from me. That is nice to know, sure would not be too much trouble to get service!

2007 VTX-1300c,, Mustang 75651, HK K2's, Scar, , Progressive Front Springs, All Balls Steering Bearings, Mapam Sissy Bar and Forward Controls Viking Hard Bags with Quick Release Mounts, Reckless Fairing with Kenwood KMR-M315BT Marine Grade Radio with XM..
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 05:17 PM

Cable Mounting

Was wondering if anyone had a picture of how they mounted the cable. I have my servo mounted pretty good, but now I am wondering how to mount the able. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page