Viking bag install 02 vtx1800r but..not following directions - VTXOA
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stsguy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Viking bag install 02 vtx1800r but..not following directions

02 vtx 1800r...
If you want to get right to the install look for the positive symbols below...

My wife has been waiting on a pair of shoes for 2 weeks and I wish they would show up because I've been on a buying spree for my vtx.... so instead of me being excited when stuff is delivered I feel guilty...ish😁..

So, When my Viking studded leather bags came, In a big glorious box of excitement. I was torn between happy and "man not another one". .
Yesterday my wife carried the 14.5 lbs package in our bed room and set the box at my feet on the bed. And a couple more packages that came the same day. So I had to play down the excited kid feeling.
But over night was as long as I could keep my cool and this morning I tore into them like fat steak after a week of fasting. I read the reviews on all the bags I could find and for the money they were the best deal ... my opinion. Getting the most baNg for your buck as we say.
So how much?😒. I bought the large slanted double strapped and studded for an AMAZING 159 bucks!😎 Plus shipping And they had a15% discount on site I applied that covered the shipping. I ordered friday night (late) and the where in my Texas home on Wednesday evening.
-------------------------------------------------------
1st off I will share that I read some complaints about about Viking bags but they seemed to be mainly about hardware ( thru fender bolts breaking)and returning phone calls.
I have had no issues as of yet. Good price shipped fast.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The instructions are hard to see. Poor fast run copy. Maybe just got them before ink cartridges were changed. But fear not the online off was great and they have good short install videos for those that do better by seeing.
I opted not to use the throw over method personally I like the look of the hard install method. This is where my HARDHEADEDNESS took the wheel.
The hardware is simple. 2 bags of bolts 4 short and a hand full of long washers nuts 1 inch spacers and 1/2 inch spacers etc 4 steel mounts that are 1 1/2 Inch thick on top the same wide and about 5 inch long you can see them in the 1st image. The directions say to find you bags location and mark the bags.
This sounds easy but with 2 hands on a bike that sits at a hard lean it was tuff to get an idea of apperance holding a bag in place. With much thought and searching online pics I seen one thing that stood out on fugly installs .. not parallel with the exhaust/ I wanted them as low as I could having the tops flow with the too of the fender.
So keeping in mind the bag needs clerance to open I found a rectangle box 8 inch long x 3 1/4 x 4 and placed it on the top of the pipe.
I did 1st check the pipe was level it was close to but it was a half bubble off of plum. So I sit the box on the pie and choose the 3 1/2 side for my gap . With only 1/8th clerance in front and back there was not much choice on shifting front to back. A quick mark for holes and Bam I'm ready..... To drill and finish.
Not ...
After looking at the wide gap with brackets and spacers it was almost 2 3/4 inches off the fender rail. I could not stand that big gapped look for the brackets look. I drilled the top holes on 1 bag only at this point..So I can now place a 1 inch in front and a 1 inch with a 1/2 inch spacer in back since the fender rail has a slight taper. This gives a tight look on the fender and much cleaner look I think. At this point I took care to make sure the bottom holes were straight below the top holes an exact north south relationship.
Now for the tuff part. I may have made it harder than it needed but crooked bags show.
I tried to make a pattern from the 1st and transfer it over but I was unable. The bags (mine) don't match up close enuff. So I used a tape, patterns and it really came down to eyeballing 1st then checking distance from the bottom then frt to back and in-between then cringe to drill the next bags too holes.
Again I placed the mounts inside the bags with just spacers between the bike and bags. I have a backrest so lining it all up was a dog of the female persuasion it helped to go one size larger on the bag holes so you can adjust the bags and bolts to line it all up.
In the end great looking bags but for me more stressful than the Viking video.
I upgraded the bolts to stainless not pictured.so I don't think I will have a breakage .

The bags hang square without the (A) barcket add-on that tilts the bag if needed. I do have a slight wiggle but I'm looking into a fix for that by adding an additional small bracket.
All on all 8 out of 10 I'm very pleased. I hope this helps the next newbie with your install.
PS it's real important to check the bolts so the thru bolts don't damage your tires if you bottom out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180608_132510_1528525862602.jpg (344.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20180608_132733_1528526545950.jpg (468.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20180608_132834_1528527233399.jpg (366.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20180608_164529_1528527640733.jpg (640.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20180608_164512_1528528564730.jpg (738.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20180608_151221_1528528593108.jpg (419.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20180608_151207_1528528617890.jpg (306.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20180608_164543_1528528725857.jpg (398.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20180608_132520_1528528838374.jpg (308.7 KB, 40 views)

The last bike I owned and rode was in the 90's But it was impossible to stay on four wheels any longer. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
02' VTX 1800 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 07:46 AM

Garage
Looks good. Good job! Crooked bags do show up like a sore thumb.
It does not look like you have a shock cut-out. That reduces volume on mine.
I have the flat top bags which are short in height, a gallon milk jug is too tall to latch the lid completely.
I used a 1/4" plate to lower and move rearward the bags.
I stayed with equal length spacers and have a slight taper following the fender bracket.
Would you post some dimensions of your saddle bags!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Viking VTX bags-rear.jpg (68.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Viking bags lowered-backed up.JPG (916.2 KB, 20 views)

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 10:57 AM

I had the same with the Viking bags. Instructions were almost useless for me. Mine had the shock cut out so they pushed forward more. On mine I got a slight forward tilt, and it always bugged me.

Also, be aware. They are not completely waterproof, especially when at highway speed. Although they Velcro shut, water does find it's way in. Mine weren't bad, just don't completely count on it. Those bags were great value for the dollars spent though. If I had it to do again, I would build my own brackets for Harley or Harley clone hard bags as they are on my RG.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkon View Post
I had the same with the Viking bags. Instructions were almost useless for me. Mine had the shock cut out so they pushed forward more. On mine I got a slight forward tilt, and it always bugged me.

Also, be aware. They are not completely waterproof, especially when at highway speed. Although they Velcro shut, water does find it's way in. Mine weren't bad, just don't completely count on it. Those bags were great value for the dollars spent though. If I had it to do again, I would build my own brackets for Harley or Harley clone hard bags as they are on my RG.
Yeah in the Video ad they make a statement " Velcro is used on all Viking bags to give an AIR-TIGHT SEAL" If I heard it right lol I don't ride in the rain anyway (if it can be helped) I use them for a bags of burgers and a joe rocket Jacket.
I did, however, make a run to Lowes on my Suzuki And loaded both bags down with Fertilizer 80- lbs a side lol
Harkon likes this.

The last bike I owned and rode was in the 90's But it was impossible to stay on four wheels any longer. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
02' VTX 1800 R
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Looks good. Good job! Crooked bags do show up like a sore thumb.
It does not look like you have a shock cut-out. That reduces volume on mine.
I have the flat top bags which are short in height, a gallon milk jug is too tall to latch the lid completely.
I used a 1/4" plate to lower and move rearward the bags.
I stayed with equal length spacers and have a slight taper following the fender bracket.
Would you post some dimensions of your saddle bags!
This is the large bag I looked at the shock cut out but I knew it would limit my ability to move them around Plus it makes it hell to clean the shock chrome and these were much cheaper...
I did lose a few sq inches inside by moving the bracket in... On the cool a square piece of flat plate steel 1/8 inch inside would give back the inches and most likely be a tad stronger.
I like the bags you have short yes but WIDE and they look good too.
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Pad Lockable: Yes
Mounting Hardware: Included
Patent Number: US D710,600 S
Dimensions: 6.5" x 19.5" x 12"
Storage Capacity: 3040 Cubic Inches (Pair)
Lid Opening: 12" x 6.5"
Weight: 14.5 lbs (Pair)
Weather Resistant: Yes
Sold As: Pair
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHAR-051-S__59473.1521143670.1280.1280.jpg (276.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg pr9703img3__13667.1452726561.1280.1280.jpg (170.5 KB, 9 views)

02' VTX 1800 R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page