3Likes
  • 1 Post By subdude2
  • 2 Post By subdude2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Harley Fairing Lowers on Honda VTX 1800 DIY

Note:
Changes or modifications to original equipment (bike) configuration have not been approved or tested by the factory.
If you attempt or make modifications to your equipment, the responsibility is yours for any damage to your equipment, as well as any required testing and safety issues are yours alone.
This post is for informational purposes, and is for entertainment.

Hello
First off, I know this is a long post but I am trying not to miss any of the steps. I did in case there are others out there wanting to add this really supper Mod. I have done the basic leg work for you, and here are the steps as to how to Do It Yourselves (DIY).
I purchased my Honda VTX 1800 trike just four months ago, and have been dealing with wind buffeting issues. First I re-curved the windshield “DIY” (Posted), next I made lowers that attach to the front forks “DIY” (Posted).

I started wondering if there were regular “fairing lowers” for the VTX out there, well sure enough there is. But only one company makes them, so there both costly and require that you have a crash bar (motor guard) that is not made anymore.

Hum! Then I came across one post that actually added Harley Fairing Lowers (HFL) to a VTX 1800, it’s an older posting, showing distant photos of a set HFL and Harley Crash Bar (HCB) installed on a VTX1800, no close-ups.

The photos show that they mounted the top of the HCB around the upper side of the VTX radiator then they customized the HFL to fit (cut). They also chopped down and raised up the turn signals to clear the HFL.

The thing is, I really liked the look the HFL gave to the Honda VTX, and I am one to try to do things “DIY”, SO.
Here goes:

1. I checked on cost and availability of the vented HFL including all mounting hardware ($55.00) and HCB ($43.50) both on eBay w/free shipping. “Under a hundred bucks very doable”.
It’s hard to really tell about the bends on the HCB; they looked a lot like the crash bar already on my VTX, so I ordered just the HFL first. Well the spacing between the bends is different the HCB is shorter!
2. So back to eBay, I ordered the HCB; when it showed up I could tell several things.
  • It mounts upside down compared to the VTX bar, with the connecting section of the bar at the top of the engine rather than the bottom. It is narrower than the VTX bar as well, so I was going to have to cut it to make it work.
3. Diving in: I cut the mounting section out of the top of the HCB, I was not going to use it anyway. Now I have two halves of the HCB to work with, the right side was going to be the most challenging because of the way the exhaust pipe runs, so it needed to be dealt with first.

4. Mounted the right HFL to the right HCB, (turned the handlebars right, all the way to the stops: to start fitting it making sure I had at least ¼” space around it. First I tried putting it like I had seen in the old posting; I would have had to cut about 2” from the HFL on some parts of it to fit it. Plus it seemed like the HCB would not be very strong mounting it as two separate pieces to the VTX’s frame.
5. Then I tried moving the HCB in front of the VTX’s radiator (about 2” from where the older posting had it); finding that spot that allowed the HFL to be installed without cutting. This also let me put in an extension piece in; to connect the right and left HCB, giving the strength back to the two half’s of the HCB.
6. Next I made support pieces to mount between the upper VTX frame mount (top VTX crash bar bracket) to the top of the HCB.
7. Then I also made support pieces to mount between the lower VTX frame mount (foot board bracket) of the HCB.
8. To connect the right and left HCB pieces I used a 20”, about 1” diameter pipe to slide into the HCB“let’s call it a spacer bar”, to strengthen and rejoin them (you could use a shorter piece, but believe in a little overkill for safety sake). 9. Next I bolted both the upper and lower frame support pieces to the VTX.
10. I held the HCB in place against the upper and lower frame support pieces with some tie wire at the top and then drilled and installed a mounting bolt into each of the lower frame support pieces.
11. Next I removed the HFL from the HCB and set aside.
12. Before welding I disconnected the VTX battery, covered as much of the VTX as possible.
13. Then Tack welded the HCB to the upper frame support pieces, as well as the 20” spacer bar joining the right and left HCB pieces.
14. Next I carefully removed the redesigned HCB from the VTX, “basically lifting up the HCB above the radiator and twisting it around the VTX frame to remove it”.
15. Taking the redesigned HCB out I finished the welds on all the joints on upper frame support pieces and around the spacer bar.
16. Next I ground down welds to clean them up “this step is for me as I’m not a great welder”!
17. I painted center section of redesigned HCB and upper support pieces as well as the lower frame support pieces then installed everything back on the VTX.
18. Next I installed the HFL on the redesigned HCB, they look great.
19. I reconnected the VTX battery, seats, and took her out for a test ride “WIDE SMILE”, oh I also removed the previously installed (lowers that attached to the front forks “DIY”) don’t need them anymore.
20. Final step is removing the HFL and painting to match the Trike.

David Hilton Ret. USN ETC/SS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (295.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 3y.jpg (324.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 4l.jpg (325.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 5w.jpg (251.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 6o.jpg (289.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 7r.jpg (250.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 8m.jpg (273.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 9h.jpg (251.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 10g.jpg (300.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (309.5 KB, 15 views)
DrDolittle likes this.

Howdy from San Angelo Texas,
David Hilton Retired ETC/SS

Last edited by subdude2; 04-14-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Warning for above, Crashbars will ONLY work on a TRIKE

AMA Life Member 721314
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool VTX 1800 Modified Harley Crash Bar

Hello Pope "papa",

I am not sure where you got your information;

My Honda VTX 1800 does have an Trike conversion kit installed on the back but the bike, But the front is a VTX thru and thru.

I can see no reason why that this Modification could not be done on any VTX, I used the same mounting points as the original VTX Crash Bar!

In my post you can read and see that I ended up cutting/ spacing of the stock Harley Crash Bar to fit around the VTX frame (it's not straight off the shelf).

If I thought it would only work on Trikes I would have specified that in the post.

Plus if you do a search on this website for "Harley Lowers" at the bottom of the post "Lower fairing- VTXOA" you will see the old posting I talked about in my post, along with pictures of this mod on a regular VTX 1800 (not a Trike).

Thanks for your input though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Warning for above, Crashbars will ONLY work on a TRIKE

Last edited by subdude2; 04-12-2019 at 08:50 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:48 PM

Garage
Spike's comment is regarding lean angle interference on a regular VTX.

You can see that your modded HCB is flat across the bottom and compared to the VTX bar which angles up from the attachment point.
Pegs and floor boards(platform) are hinged to allow for more lean angle.
The bottom of the HCB looks to be lower than the floor boards and further out.

Nice job but will it work on a 2 wheel VTX in the curves?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KB ORIG 9922 noTbag.jpg (308.6 KB, 5 views)

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 194,184 VTX miles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 04-12-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Good point, but look at this.

Hello,

Yes I see what your saying, but:

Trying to be objective here, I placed the VTX crash bar removed from the trike in front of the Harley set-up.

I raised it up to the same lower mounting bracket height did some measurements as well as some photos.

Here is what I found:

The Harley Crash Bar has a one or two degree lower angle than the VTX Crash Bar, and like I said in the post it's shorter in height, also the lower brackets move the HCB up 1 1/2".

I don't know how close the VTX's Crash Bar would be to hitting pavement in a hard turn, but I would guess it's has to be more than a few degrees. (I have dragged foot pegs before on other bikes)

My modified Harley Crash Bar is 1 3/4" wider on each side than the VTX Bar, not lower.

So I would conclude that it's possible that the Harley set may not work on a two wheel setup, I do believe however that it would work.

I am not the first to do this Mod., and I think "Workman" a senior member who did the old posting would have said: no this does not work, don't try it or something to that affect if it didn't work on his two wheel bike.

The last 4 photos are from his post, I hope he doesn't mind my re-posting them I had to change them to a JPEG format.

So I stand by my posting for it's use on all VTX's, or at least prove me wrong, I think this is a great Mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans&Feet View Post
Spike's comment is regarding lean angle interference on a regular VTX.

You can see that your modded HCB is flat across the bottom and compared to the VTX bar which angles up from the attachment point.
Pegs and floor boards(platform) are hinged to allow for more lean angle.
The bottom of the HCB looks to be lower than the floor boards and further out.

Nice job but will it work on a 2 wheel VTX in the curves?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (242.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (253.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (227.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (189.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (195.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (242.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by subdude2; 04-14-2019 at 09:59 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:16 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

Problem is this....it's a danger to someone that doesn't know what they're doing. Are you, subdude, willing to take on the lawyers when that someone goes over the high side when his bike hits those wide bars in his first corner? Kuryakyn let out their "Ergo Bars" before they knew they would hit before the pegs and several people went down. The VTX has a very poor lean angle to begin with, adding these bars will take away the early warning of the fold-up pegs/floorbaords away and when the bars hit the rider will be flung off the bike violently. This is a liability issue, not a workmanship issue

AMA Life Member 721314
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool

Hello Pope "papa"

I am not selling these, if someone decides to add these to there bike, it is there responsibility to check any clearance issues, as they are responsible for what they do.

Speaking of legal / liability: the older post on VTXOA gave me the idea to do this mod, should I hold them accountable if I where to have an issue?

The VTXOA.com site is not responsible for what people do to there bikes, they are not backing this modification in any way, they just are providing a gathering spot for ideas to be shown as well and links to other sites.

I did this to my bike knowing that I am changing my VTX from its stock factory setup, I knew that I could fabricate what I needed to make them work.

Like checking the clearance for the turn signals and adding the connection bar to strengthen the two half's of the crash bar after cutting it- that responsibility is on me.

The post shows that it can be done, the previous post shows it can be done, adding the Harley Fairing Lowers is a personal choice, with personal responsibility for the changes.

I think we have beat this horse to death.

But I don't think the two of us will never see eye to eye on this ether, I have shown that it can be done on a trike, Workman showed that it can work and a two wheeler.

I thank you for your concern for safety, I have a high re-guard for safety as well, as I have said it's a idea only. That being said I will add a safety note, although it pretty much applies to all mods.

Best of luck to you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Problem is this....it's a danger to someone that doesn't know what they're doing. Are you, subdude, willing to take on the lawyers when that someone goes over the high side when his bike hits those wide bars in his first corner? Kuryakyn let out their "Ergo Bars" before they knew they would hit before the pegs and several people went down. The VTX has a very poor lean angle to begin with, adding these bars will take away the early warning of the fold-up pegs/floorbaords away and when the bars hit the rider will be flung off the bike violently. This is a liability issue, not a workmanship issue
Hans&Feet and DrDolittle like this.

Last edited by subdude2; 04-14-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page