GOODBYE.... I'm not here for the pop-ups - Page 3 - VTXOA
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Garage
Your browser or OS set up does not make any difference if you are not logged in you will get the ads. The problem with this site is all the background scripts running every time you do anything on here. These scripts are what makes this site almost unusable at times. The admins know it, but do nothing about it besides trying to place blame on us and our setups.
sring115 likes this.

'04 1300S or at least used to be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Garage
When I or any tech asks what browser/device you are using, we are not trying to put the blame on you. We ask, so we can try and configure our own set up as closely to yours as we can to see if we run into the same error. Recreation is the first step to being able to fix something. If I can't see the problem, I'm in the dark.

You mentioned IE as your browser. I switched over to IE and found that the sluggishness of the browser was very much apparent. Switching over to the "Classic" forum layout improved things a bit for me, as did adding the site to Internet Explorers "Compatibility Mode". What others have said about IE no longer being supported is true, or mostly true. While Microsoft hasn't fully pulled support for their old browser, they are only doing bare bones updates to it, to keep it functional. This means, the more that passes, the less compatible it will be with sites that are being designed for more up-to-date browsers. We try and keep the site backwards compatible, but there are limits to what we can do. No way I can improve your experience if you are still using IE 6 for example.

Got a little side tracked there. Switching to "Classic" can be done using the menu at the very bottom left corner of the page.

"Compatibility Mode" can be activated by using the top left corner menu button (the one shaped like a gear). Find it in that menu, and then hit "add" on the window it open to add the site to the list. This function helps shore up IE to make it work with some of the more advanced features we have here.

If neither of those settings help at all, let me know and we'll keep at it

Kevin
post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sring115 View Post
I wish that you guys, that clearly seem tech-savvy, who spend time as you do bragging about all your ad blocker solutions and plug-ins and double-secret browser applications would spend as much time on providing feedback on the BS that happens to us all that run standard windows and IE setup.

All the immunization and disinfection bullcrap may be in your wheelhouse, but many here are more comfortable turning a wrench (or, ahem, swinging a golf club) than taking a remedial course on IT security.

You bragging about your setup that kills all pop-ups really isn't very helpful. Furthermore, you bragging about how you can handle anything that comes your way isn't going to motivate any admin to take any action.

there I said it (JUST AS THE FRIGGING AD UNCONTROLLABLY PLAYS IN THE BACKGROUND).

Disclaimer "any typos can 100 percent be blamed on the "processing request" bull**** going on in the lower lefthand corner of my browser"
Those of us that are semi-Tech Savvy know that admins only have limited abilities to prevent unwanted pop-ups and ads. We also know that those that push unwanted content (ads) out on to the web are changing their tactics daily and keeping up with those changing tactics is nearly impossible for any IT Staff.

We take pride in doing our part to protect ourselves by installing browsers that support security along with browser add-ons that provide said security.

Waiting on the administrators to provide security is like asking motorcycle manufacturers to make a motorcycle that is totally safe and will never wreck so you do not need to wear a helmet.

2004 VTX1300C

post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You bragging about your setup that kills all pop-ups really isn't very helpful.
I think this is BULLSH*T! No one was "bragging" about their setup skills... they were merely pointing out what browsers they were using, and with what adblockers... and what works for them. I think this is TOTALLY helpful!

I use "Google Chrome, with Adblock".... ANY simpleton can use it too!
The site works fast and flawlessly for me... with this setup.
This doesn't mean the site is running clean, it just means it can easily be overcome.

If you are having issues... the problem "may" be on your end too...

Last edited by Mmusicman; 08-17-2017 at 04:33 PM.
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:33 PM

Garage
Seems "normal" in this day & time to blame everyone else for your problems & not take any responsibility. It is refreshing to see many people on here that help others, but if we don't try to help ourselves too bad. I would still be ignorant about my computer myself if I didn't make the effort to teach myself!

LETS MAKE AMERICA MISERABLE AGAIN

No matter how the media spins Islam then and now, Sharia Law and our U.S. Constitution are not compatible. Moral relativism and tolerance to the point of ignorance will result in national suicide.

Freedom Outpost op/ed

"Darkside" 3/22/11 Yokohama Avid Touring S P205/60R16
2005 1800N2
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:44 PM

Unfortunately the internet and computers are fluid environments and things change rapidly. If you can't keep up, you will be left behind. It's no one's fault, just the nature of things as they are.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:05 PM

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXOA admin View Post
Switching over to the "Classic" forum layout improved things a bit for me, as did adding the site to Internet Explorers "Compatibility Mode".
Got a little side tracked there. Switching to "Classic" can be done using the menu at the very bottom left corner of the page.

"Compatibility Mode" can be activated by using the top left corner menu button (the one shaped like a gear). Find it in that menu, and then hit "add" on the window it open to add the site to the list. This function helps shore up IE to make it work with some of the more advanced features we have here.

If neither of those settings help at all, let me know and we'll keep at it

Kevin

Kudos Kevin for your Admin help with this site.

I can relate to the OP's frustration, in that when the site changed from the previous version, I was very unhappy and was ready to drop out of here. Once I set understood you can change to Classic mode, I was again a happy camper with the ads disappearing (most anyway). I'm a big fan of FireFox as my browser and recommend switching over to it not just for the pop-up blocker that comes with it, but just because it has been flawless for me. Anyone who accesses this site without logging in will get the full effect of the ads, which would make anyone think twice about staying here is there were no way around it.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 PM

There are far too many posts to begin to quote you all and respond individually... so at the risk of inciting more attacks here goes:

First, those of you that concluded from my comments that I am not tech savvy are incorrect. I was speaking from the "every man" viewpoint (not to be interpreted as speaking FOR every man).

Second, I use Chrome primarily when I am home. IE all day, everyday, when I am at work. Why? Because the software and systems that I use at work are expecting and designed to work best with IE. Let's not get into an argument about this. I don't drive these decisions. I use as little "freeware" as possible - it should be obvious why.

Third, the Admins ask this... very few provide responses. I think more would, if they new how to capture the info.
"Regarding these pop ups, if you can provide an image of the ad as well as the full URL of the ad, we can get them removed. This is a known issue and we are working towards removing the ads"
The ads are the problem. The site is where the ads come from - not my browser.

I will respond directly to you Mmusicman since you think what I have to say is b*******! This is how you responded to the OP.

"I don't see ANY pop-ups! Using Chrome with Adblock.
Maybe the OP's computer has been compromised.
Buh-bye"

You started with what looked like helpful advice, but finished with a dig on the OP (maybe his computer has been compromised) and a sarcastic goodbye. And you think you were all about being helpful? I don't think so.

And to those of you that expressed the general sentiment about taking the time to learn and protecting yourself and how it's easy and suggestion that I must not do these things - you are wrong. I just happen to have a strong dislike for the things that we are forced to protect ourselves from. If these aggressive ads were not there I would not need to protect myself against them. The site permits/allows this to happen. It doesn't have too.

And how about comments about having a different experience(a better experience) when you are logged in? I personally have visited this site without logging in as much as I have while logging in. The only difference is that I cannot see attachments and pictures unless I log in. Logging in does nothing to change the ad related experience. How about the idea that the site just enable me to see all the content without logging in? You all realize that this is not a secure site, right? So why do I want to log in?

To conclude... this entire message was crafted while logged in using Firefox browser. The typing delays and continuous loading of "waiting for...." were all there - just like Chrome.

Peace!

Last edited by sring115; 08-18-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: browserser related typing pain
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 04:59 PM

Location: Santa Barbara California where RED is the FASTEST color!
Quote:
There are far too many posts to begin to quote you all and respond individually... so at the risk of inciting more attacks here goes:

Attacks? Sorry that you choose to ignore all the attempt in this post to help you out. I hate advertisements with a passion, however I understand the reality that this site isn't here just to make us all happy, it's here to make a buck and IHMH, we should all be grateful they choose to keep it going.

Arguing that site visitors shouldn't have to deal with ads is living in some kind of fantasy world where everything is free and you aren't obligated to even the slightest inconvenience (i.e., advertisements). The fact that others here have managed to overcome the site obsticals, sometimes with only a little effort (that is my experience) demonstrates that the issues you complain of most likely is with you or your software, not the site.

My point about what you see logged in vs not has to do with your site settings and how that once you set up you profile to reduce ads, (e.g., going Classic & othere suggested settings) your ads will be reduced viewing logged in (where your settings effect your view) vs viewing not logged in, where you have no settings and veiw all the ads on the site.

Keeping members on this site is in the interest of all the members, so we want you to stay and we want you to have a good experience. This is why so many here are trying to help you out. Most of the members here don't endure whiners, or people unwilling to help themsleves when help is offered. We are after all bikers, not girl scouts.

Hope you hang in there and get your issues resolved. If not.... keep the rubber down and the wind in yer face.

"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Garage
Thread is getting a little off-the rails, which is fine. Debate is good and therapeutic.

However, I would like to keep pecking away at the underlining issue if possible.

If you are getting poor behavior with other browsers besides IE, then that points to other causes. @sring115 , you say you see a "waiting for" message? Does it give you any other information there, or is that the extent of it?

Kevin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page