Site Unusable again - VTXOA
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Site Unusable again

site is unusable again with ridiculous amount of scrolling ads....
Please dont ask for urls .... that is a dumb and unrealistic request.
Please dont ask for OS or browser or Adblock - that is ridiculous too.
Admins - strip down your setup and attempt to use site. Enough of the BS.
Ridiculous ads yielding nothing.
Fake News that there is nothing that can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Post is not great, but you all try spelling/ typing when every key stroke lags because ads are scrolling!....please don't give me sh*t for dumb spelling and grammar.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:30 AM

Garage
most of the time.. ITS NOT the forum site doing it...
it's YOUR system. allowing it..

I have not received an ad in years...

Education...
Harkon likes this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 89,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 02:22 PM

That's kinda it Chuck.

On the one hand I get the point that an ad blocker shouldn't be the only solution, but it is such an easy fix. The site is ad supported so the ads will no b going away. The admins do a great job keeping the site up for us in my opinion. Installing an ad blocker seems a small compromise to keep the site snappy and useable but if the OP insists he shouldn't have to, I wish him the best of luck fighting with the admins to solve the problem. It is important to remember, no ads, no site.
chuck_VTX F and VTXOA admin like this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Jackpot Super Duals header, Jackpot HiRoller mufflers, PV Tuner, Daymaker LEDs
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 02:26 PM

Garage
I have nothing fancy..

Windows 7 Pro... Hp laptop.. 6 years old,, I7 processor...
Firefox 64 bit... no ad blocker.. just whatever is built into firefox....

Forums need cash to operate... unless we PAY to use it,,,,,,,, someone must..

and this forum,, like the sister VTX forum... is owned by a large company.. and wants to get paid. both are owned by the same company.

so I support the sponsors when I can..
. when I order a part.. I inform them. I use VTXOA and thank them for the support.
Harkon likes this.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 02-10-2018 at 02:30 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:07 PM

Garage
I have not had an ad in years. Pop up blocker is your friend, and always log in...
chuck_VTX F and Harkon like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

For starters - let me say this post is not intended to be confrontational or provocative in any way. Just explaining my position on things. Also - not looking for a bunch of back and forth. Please don't quote me and then blast me.

Chuck, I wish you would not infer from my post that I'm not educated. I'm educated plenty. If you don't have the same experience that I do then it seems that you have no idea what I am "complaining" about. Maybe that is something to be Educated about.

All I was intending to do with my post was give feedback to the admins about the decline in the site based on my experience. Let me be clear - I get ZERO pop-ups. The problem is pages that won't load because of huge volumes of ad sites attempting to load and grab browsing data. I have no issues with ads on a page. I don't care if there are 10, 20 , 50 or 100 (I just won't look or click). I just desire the site be managed so that the pages will load and the usability is decent. At the time of my post it was not usable.

I don't have an issue with any post informing others about how they deal with this except when the post infers that because I that don't want to load free Adblock software that I am uneducated or stupid or don't want my experience to improve. This is the ONLY site that I visit that I encounter this experience and I don't want to alter my PC's configuration just for VTXOA. Again, THIS IS THE ONLY SITE (for me) that presents these issues.

And about the preaching that ads are a necessary part of making our experience free... Every time you successfully block something you are defeating the so-called revenue that you think is required to support the site. To then claim you acknowledge the need for the ads or some allegiance to sponsors is hypocritical. Doesn't that mean that us idiots without the Adblock and Education are the ones paying for your free experience. If everyone blocked all ads, then wouldn't the site have no revenue an subsequently no longer exist?

I wonder if people would feel differently about the solution to this problem if Adblock was not free? Would you pay $20 for it? $30? $75? What if things get to a point where your experience would not be possible UNLESS your bought an Adblock solution for $100? How would you feel then?

By the way.... the site works great tonight (no changes in my configuration). Can't help wondering if maybe someone may have taken action based on my post.
Curt E likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 AM

Garage
Education comes in many forms...

NO DISRESPECT INTENDED...

figure it out.

Last edited by chuck_VTX F; 02-11-2018 at 11:02 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Sounds like he has sat in a classroom, or two, to me. I have to admit that my reading of his initial post seemed like site trashing for reasons that I haven't experienced. But I am a skimmer, thanks to Evelyn Wood.

Now I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sring115 View Post
For starters - let me say this post is not intended to be confrontational or provocative in any way. Just explaining my position on things. Also - not looking for a bunch of back and forth. Please don't quote me and then blast me.

Chuck, I wish you would not infer from my post that I'm not educated. I'm educated plenty. If you don't have the same experience that I do then it seems that you have no idea what I am "complaining" about. Maybe that is something to be Educated about.

All I was intending to do with my post was give feedback to the admins about the decline in the site based on my experience. Let me be clear - I get ZERO pop-ups. The problem is pages that won't load because of huge volumes of ad sites attempting to load and grab browsing data. I have no issues with ads on a page. I don't care if there are 10, 20 , 50 or 100 (I just won't look or click). I just desire the site be managed so that the pages will load and the usability is decent. At the time of my post it was not usable.

I don't have an issue with any post informing others about how they deal with this except when the post infers that because I that don't want to load free Adblock software that I am uneducated or stupid or don't want my experience to improve. This is the ONLY site that I visit that I encounter this experience and I don't want to alter my PC's configuration just for VTXOA. Again, THIS IS THE ONLY SITE (for me) that presents these issues.

And about the preaching that ads are a necessary part of making our experience free... Every time you successfully block something you are defeating the so-called revenue that you think is required to support the site. To then claim you acknowledge the need for the ads or some allegiance to sponsors is hypocritical. Doesn't that mean that us idiots without the Adblock and Education are the ones paying for your free experience. If everyone blocked all ads, then wouldn't the site have no revenue an subsequently no longer exist?

I wonder if people would feel differently about the solution to this problem if Adblock was not free? Would you pay $20 for it? $30? $75? What if things get to a point where your experience would not be possible UNLESS your bought an Adblock solution for $100? How would you feel then?

By the way.... the site works great tonight (no changes in my configuration). Can't help wondering if maybe someone may have taken action based on my post.

When you are young you want what everyone else has . . when you are old you want what everyone else had.
D. Lee Schulte I ride a Honda because Toyota doesn't make motorcycles. 2005 VTX 1800N3 (black)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Garage
@sring115 - Sorry to hear that you have not been happy with your experience on the site. The reasons why we (admin) ask the questions that find ridiculous (ie. what device/browser you use, whether you've cleared your cache/cookies, etc) is so that we can have a better understanding of your experience. I don't experience the same problems on my end, and no, I don't have an ad blocker installed either. This is why we ask questions when we are not able to replicate the issue ourselves.

In your last post, you mentioned that the site was working great for you - is it still, or did it change back? There were no changes done on our side in the past few days, so I'm not sure what prompted the change but I do hope it lasts! Let us know if you continue to have any issues.

Cheers,

Erik
Harkon likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page