Automatic Thumbails for Hosted Images - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
Automatic Thumbails for Hosted Images

Good morning.

I wonder if this is possible, I know I have seen it implemented on other forums.

When I post a hosted image, for example an Imgur image:

[i mg]https://i.imgur.com/hRKDQM8.jpg[/ img]

Full Size Image:

can the forum automatically do the following:

1) add either "s" or "l" to right before the "." The "s" will do a small and "l" will do large thumbnail. This may be imgur specific, so it may not be useful to implement

example:
[i mg]https://i.imgur.com/hRKDQM8s.jpg[/ img]

Small Thumbnail "s"

Large Thumbnail "l"

2) wrap the image in url code with the original url as the address:

[u rl=https://i.imgur.com/hRKDQM8.jpg][i mg]https://i.imgur.com/hRKDQM8s.jpg[/ img][/ url]

Hyperlink with small thumbnail:

Hyperlink with large thumbnail:

This, at least for imgur will make the image display as a thumbnail, and will make the thumbnail a hyperlink to the fill sized image. I think there are a few members who have bandwidth issues, I want to be sure to provide other members the ability to see full sized high res images, without alienating members with slower internet.

I am a software engineer, so if there are some coding issues I may be able to help. I typically do SQL and VB, but can research anything! It may be something as simple as looking if the post string contains "imgur" then parsing the string for the extension, inserting the "s" or "l" then reconstructing the string to contain the hyperlink tags.

If this is something that my only be useful to a few, and not worth trying to implement, thanks for taking the time to read this!

2009 VTX1300R

Last edited by JPT; 08-13-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Garage
We can get a plugin where we can automatically resize the image to one specific size?
Is that something you would like?
Also, which site have you seen this? The forum software could be different.

Ed
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
JPT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXOA admin View Post
We can get a plugin where we can automatically resize the image to one specific size?
Is that something you would like?
Also, which site have you seen this? The forum software could be different.

Ed
Thanks for looking into this. Will it automatically resize externally hosted images? And if it does, will it allow the user to click on the image so they can see the full sized image? The idea is to help out those who are bandwidth challenged, while maintaining the ability for those who want to see high res detailed images.

I think it did this on www.kawasakiworld.com, but I don't exactly remember the site, I just remember thinking it was an awesome feature at the time.

Now a days, most people have have the bandwidth where this may not be an issue, so if you don't think it is worth the effort, please don't waste your time!

2009 VTX1300R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page