Sturgis, Week of, before, or after? - Page 2 - VTXOA
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prkuehn View Post
Did you have something happen that caused this opinion? Iíve had several friends that have vacationed in the black hills outside of rally time because they donít like the crowds, donít care about concerts, and it is much less expensive. None of them felt they werenít welcome in town.

Yes,,, Bob and I on Goldwings... stopped in Sturgis... for food at a food store..
the police came.. told us to move our bikes to the end of town and WALK back to the store..

so we rode to another town for food.

FACT.
leroys73, rangers4u and frnkcat like this.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:08 AM

Sturgis, Week of, before, or after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
Yes,,, Bob and I on Goldwings... stopped in Sturgis... for food at a food store..
the police came.. told us to move our bikes to the end of town and WALK back to the store..

so we rode to another town for food.

FACT.

I wasnít doubting your statement. It just wasnít what I had heard from others. Unfortunately it sounds like the officer transferred what his bad day was to you and your buddy.

I would have ridden off and spent no money as well.
chuck_VTX F likes this.

2007 1300C with Woody's Fairing, HD King Tour Pack, and Cavalry Hard Bags.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
Bummer, images aren't loading for some reason.

Direct links here instead:

Full route: http://photos.oshawapilot.ca/sturgis-full.jpg

West loop: http://photos.oshawapilot.ca/sturgis-west.jpg
Since your map shows you going through Cody, Wyoming make sure you stop at the Buffalo Bill Museum and plan on at least a 1/2 day there, if you haven't done it already.
StarrRider likes this.

VTXOA 'Members Who Can Help' Map<<---ClicHere
PGR RC, 2010 GL 1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, DS#1146, 04VTX 1300C
AKA "Pooch" IBA#55800 SS1Kx3, SS2K,BB1500x2,BBGold, 50CC Certified

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06VTXRJim View Post
Since your map shows you going through Cody, Wyoming make sure you stop at the Buffalo Bill Museum and plan on at least a 1/2 day there, if you haven't done it already.

Great suggestion. That is an incredible place to visit. It has the largest firearms collection I have ever seen. The rest of the museum is pretty impressive as well.

2007 1300C with Woody's Fairing, HD King Tour Pack, and Cavalry Hard Bags.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:56 PM

Garage
WOW, so much to see and do in the area.
I was there in July and it was awesome.
Motorcycles everywhere....
Sturgis isnt much except at Rally time.
Wall Drugs in Wall & the Badlands. Deadwood & Cemetery. Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Keystone, Custer, Rapid City. Tunnels road (cant recall name, State park and $20 to ride through it!!!).
Devils Tower (WY) Little big horn (MT). Yellowstone Park (amazing), Cody is cool also...
While near Keystone etc, if you get a chance.
Palmer gulch Stables has a chuck wagon dinner ride that is totally awesome (Horseback or Wagon ride out to chuck wagon location..
I missed it as it was closed on my last night there. Still kicking myself for missing it (think its closed on Mondays??)......
So much to see & do, so little time. Was part of my Bucket List....

rangers4u and StarrRider like this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:20 PM

Your western loop will be a good appetizer for future trips.

That is one area of the country I can go back to again and again and again.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 138,000mi+Yamaha RSV,36,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 18SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkuehn View Post
I wasnít doubting your statement. It just wasnít what I had heard from others. Unfortunately it sounds like the officer transferred what his bad day was to you and your buddy.

I would have ridden off and spent no money as well.
Years ago, 2 friends and I, clean-cut, wearing shorts, sneakers, and Tshirts, rode to the Virginia Beach KOA to meet some girls we knew were there for the weekend. It was implied we were an undesirable element simply because we rode up on slightly modified CB450, CB 750, and a chopped 650 Triumph. Fortunately, all things change, including anal law enforcement people and policies.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Clearview w/s, Hondaline backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Prog. fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips. 12-18 VTXCafe Bike of the Month
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:20 PM
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

T-shirts will be there for the entire year, week after they will be cheaper. I was there the week before and did all my riding with very little traffic and no trailer queen riders going from bar to bar weaving all over the roads.
schnitz likes this.

AMA Life Member 721314
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:40 PM

I lived 6 miles north of Black Hill Harley Davidson out in the country for 2 years. Just one thing, skip the rally when it is going on. If you are coming from Ontario ride (stay) up north, do Banff, Lake Louise, etc., head south to Glacier National Park, then down to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. The start heading east (home) hit Sturgis the Monday after the rally. Everybody is gone including the vendors. Really nothing to see in Sturgis, unless you are into skin from people who should not be showing any skin at all. The roads in the Black Hills will be empty. Most of the vacationers will be gone because most schools start the end of August so the place is pretty empty and the road will be all yours.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 PM
MB1

Garage
For what it's worth, I'm with leroy's73. Do option one--go early AND avoid Chicago--completely including the Chicago Metro region which now stretches from Gary Indiana to Milwaukee Wisconsin and ~90 miles west to Rockford IL. Besides, there is nothing enticing about your route around the south end of Lake Michigan. Traffic is frequently heavy and, like most large population centers, folks drive as if they're in a competition event at a track! I quit riding when I lived there in the NW suburbs after my last near miss where I was forced to confront the reality that my days were numbered if I persisted.

It appears from your map that you're either entering or departing the US at Sarnia. Not sure which leg on the map is inbound or outbound but consider rerouting from Sarnia to Luddington on the west coast of Michigan and hopping on the SS Badger ferry. It's an historic ship and a four hour ride across to Manitowoc Wisconsin. It's a great ride from there to get you back to I 90 westbound. May well be a net travel time saver for you and certainly less risk. Besides, in conjunction with your LD ride experience it will be another unique memory among all the others you'll accumulate along the way. --My Two

Here's a link to find out more: http://www.ssbadger.com/schedule-far...-vehicles.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page