Sturgis, Week of, before, or after? - VTXOA
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Sturgis, Week of, before, or after?

A few friends and myself are headed west to ride the black hills and do Yellowstone, etc. We want to do at least 1 day of Sturgis while the rally is on just to get the "been there done that T-Shirt", but we have zero intention of spending the week.

The plan is to arrive in Sturgis, spend about a half day, and then move on and continue west, passing through Sturgis again on the way back east.

However, we want to minimize being screwed up in a conga line of MC's everywhere. We are all endurance riders and don't do well in the "poking along" routine.

We have three options we are considering.

1/ Leave home the week *before* the rally, skip right on through Sturgis on the Sunday (a week before it begins) and then drop back in for (while the rally is actually on) the following Friday on our way back east and eventually home. This puts us visiting the rally on Friday, the opening day.

2/ Leave home the Saturday the rally officially opens, ride >1300m on day 1 (we are planning 2 bun-burner gold iron butts each way, we all love endurance riding) which puts us in Sturgis just after lunch on the Sunday of the official opening weekend of the rally. Then we leave Sturgis on the Monday to do our black hills / Yellowstone touring. We pass through Sturgis again on the Friday of the rally.

3/ Leave home on the Friday (leading into the final weekend of the rally) which again, with our planned iron butts, will have us in Sturgis after lunch on the Saturday, the second last day of the rally. Leave Sturgis Sunday for our black hills / Yellowstone touring. We will pass through Sturgis again on our way back but it'll be a week after the rally is done.

So basically, the week before, during, or after.

Our goals are to actually be in Sturgis during a reasonably "normal" day (hence why we don't want to arrive on the very last day (Sunday) as I figure things will be fizzling out by that point. The final Saturday I figure will still be more lively.

on the flipside, we want to minimize being stuff in mile long lines of bikes in the black hills, which is why we are contemplating the 1 week before or 1 week after routine.

Thoughts?
leroys73 and steveroy60 like this.

-03 VTX1300S. 3" Hard Krome exhaust, Ultimate Seats, Wide Open Customs batwing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:24 PM

Sturgis, Week of, before, or after?

The week before has all of the vendors, less traffic and none of the big concerts. Riding Custer Park, Iron Mountain, Needles Hwy, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc will be easier. If you ride down Main Street during the rally later in the day, you will have some delays. The opening day is really busy because you have the people that went early and havenít left as well as the one getting there for the official rally dates. You will have an easier time finding a place to stay before. It is a beautiful part of the country and worth a ride through at least once.

The Thursday or Friday of the rally will still offer the full experience, but people will already be rolling out of town on their way back home.
leroys73 and Curt E like this.

2007 1300C with Woody's Fairing, HD King Tour Pack, and Cavalry Hard Bags.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:59 AM

Garage
I go week before. Everything is open an no lines or bad traffic per se. It's a big place and lots to see and do.
leroys73 and rangers4u like this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:34 AM

I have been there just before by car. Many people are arriving but not insane. I would still make early reservations if staying near there. Keystone is not a bad place.

I have been there right at the beginning. I camped at a crappy so called campground at Belle Fourche. I was on my way home from Yellowstone and the Little Bighorn (working on my IBA National Parks tour. I did not realize it was Sturgi week. After I realized it I said, Oh sh.. as I just wanted to ride the Black Hills and get a stamp at Mt. Rushmore.

I am like Private Pilot, I am an LD rider and don't like the party BS. I followed my plan to start early and of riding all of the above mentioned roads. There was very few riders out on the roads. I was shocked. Well, I decided before leaving the area I would buzz through Sturgis. The place was full of motorcycles of course. I grabbed a gear and headed west to New Castle, WY for the night.

I figured the reason not many were out on the roads, they were either at the bars or hung over.

I'll never intentionally go during Sturgis week. But if I were to go I would do as Curt E and prkuehn said. Go early.
rangers4u and frnkcat like this.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 138,000mi+Yamaha RSV,37,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 20SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:39 AM

PrivatePilot,
You going to Jacksonville in March? I plan to be there. This will be my 4th attempt. Each time I have signed up something has come up. One time I was 200 miles from home and thought I had a serious mechanical problem. Turned out a minor issue that I could have fixed it in the parking lot of the 7-11.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 138,000mi+Yamaha RSV,37,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 20SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Thx all, I am leaning towards heading out the week before Sturgis at this point then, which would put us through town the weekend before the rally even officially opens, continuing west to do the hills, Yellowstone, etc. We'd then pass back through Sturgis again on the following Friday to spend about a half day in town - that will be the "rally day" for us, and then we turn and burn east again.

Here's the full trip as planned at this point:

And the western loop taking 5 days to slowly enjoy the scenery in the hills, do Yellowstone, etc.

rangers4u and frnkcat like this.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Bummer, images aren't loading for some reason.

Direct links here instead:

Full route: http://photos.oshawapilot.ca/sturgis-full.jpg

West loop: http://photos.oshawapilot.ca/sturgis-west.jpg
frnkcat likes this.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:51 AM

Western loop looks fantastic. If you are going to stay near or in Yellowstone make reservations now. Camping can even be tight.

It appears as though you are going through Chi Town. I would avoid Chicago. Traffic is terrible. Been there done that.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:12 AM

Garage
my opinion,

enjoy your visit......

motorcycles are not welcome..

outside of the weeks before or after the big money maker..

not in the towns anyway.

2005 VTX1800 F, type II, Silver Tribal, 86,000 Miles, Purchased Feb, 2005.
MTC clutch & springs.. K&N Air Filter. Garmin 2597 GPS.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_VTX F View Post
my opinion,

enjoy your visit......

motorcycles are not welcome..

outside of the weeks before or after the big money maker..

not in the towns anyway.

Did you have something happen that caused this opinion? Iíve had several friends that have vacationed in the black hills outside of rally time because they donít like the crowds, donít care about concerts, and it is much less expensive. None of them felt they werenít welcome in town.
frnkcat likes this.

2007 1300C with Woody's Fairing, HD King Tour Pack, and Cavalry Hard Bags.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page