Prudhoe Bay - Page 2 - VTXOA
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:09 PM

Rsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokerb View Post
Question for sureshot and leroys73. Always liked the RSV and just happened to find one close by. 2005 with 45000 miles listed for 3800.00. If I decide to look at it anything I need to look for? What are your thoughts on the bike in general? Gas mileage? Power? Comfort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I swear I responded to this days ago. I really like the RSV for two up. The price you are looking at seems reasonable. I paid $4500 for an 01 with 38k. The clutch seems like the common thing like many and if you open the oil filler you will be able to see the purple pressure plate if it has been upgraded to the Barnett pressure plate. The rear shock can be an issue I'm told but no problem with mine. PM me if you have any other questions.
cokerb likes this.

02 1800C Sideburners,Corbin spoiler, HPP,PM air cleaner, Kury Hwy pegs, Mirrors, Memphis Slim, K Drive Bags,custom paint, Throttlemeister, J & M's and Sirius,Ultimate Big Boy seat.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Same as Sureshot on the shock and pressure plate. I have 38,000 on mine and no problems with either yet. I was told around 25,000 is when to expect trouble with those two parts. I will be sure my shock leaks before my warranty expires next March. I will replace the pressure plate before next summer unless it slips sooner, not covered by warranty. As far as shocks go to the Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Tour Deluxe site. The Venture Rider site is OK but the RSV RSTD is better for technical stuff. There are two good replacements for the shock. One is Hagon but not readily available in the US but still can buy from UK.

Some have had the fuel pump go out. When it does it is a hit and miss. There is an after market for it as mentioned on the RSV RSTD site.

I was on the above sites for a few years before I felt I needed to buy a long distant replacement for my VTX which I still ride. The RSV/RSTD site gave me a lot of info on the RSV. They are very reliable and comfortable. As far as price I can only say I bought my 2012 in October 2015 with 650 miles on it for 11,500 about half of a new price. It was bought new in March of 2015 so it still had 4.5 years left on the factory warranty.

If you buy it purchase the Yamaha service manual and another well known one also the owners manual. They like all motorcycles have their quirks. One is when it is near freezing you may see some coolant seeping out of the freeze plug. It worried me until Tank on the RSV/RSTD site said it was not unusual. Just wedge something between it and the cover. I was fortunate to have a very good tech at the Honda shop who had been certified on the RSV do my 26,000 service on it so I got new freeze plugs.

The cruise is a little primitive. Also it maxes out at 85 which is really a little less than 80. So in west Texas it will hold at less than the speed limit of 80. I had trouble getting the tank full consistently. It traps air. I was getting from 25 to 35 mpg. I then, once again per Tank on the RSV/RSTD site, punched holes in the filler neck so air would escape faster and more complete. Now I get close to 35mpg at interstate speeds. Now, with a head wind and running interstate speeds the mpg drops quickly to about 30 or less. 4 carbs can be hungry rascals.

I hope this helps.
cokerb likes this.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 140,000mi+Yamaha RSV,42,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 20SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Up date on my adventures:

The D-Day tour was fantastic but emotional. Being there really drove home the suffering that went on. I am so glad we were able to go.

We spent extra days in Paris. The city was much cleaner than I remember back in 1967. It is probably cleaner than most big cities in this country including Dallas. The people were friendly unlike what I have heard. I am glad I was not driving, the traffic was suicidal.

Normandy was awesome. The people there still love us. We did get to go to the Battle of the Bulge area. The fox holes are still there. It was another very emotional experience. It would sure be fun to ride a motorcycle around Normandy and Belgium.

We did rent a car in Munich to visit McGraw Kaserne where I worked in the commissary and went to college. We did get to see the apartments my family lived in while Dad was stationed there. Oh yes, I did revisit the beer halls for a man sized beer. I couldn't handle the five I did back in my college days. I am out of training.

As for the Prudhoe bay tour. I rented a BMW F750GS for three days to tour around. I went to Homer (not impressed) but a good ride there with a night in Seward. Also Valdez with a night in Chitina. It was very good and the GS was not bad even without a windshield.

I had the same GS for the ride on the Dalton. I secured a ticket along with 5 other riders north of Fairbanks. We got a group discount. It was knocked down from 15 over to 9 over. That 750 will do at least 108 mph.

The weather was extremely hot for up there. We did have rain at about the time the dirt thus mud started on the Dalton. Without a windshield my face shield got covered with mud so I had no choice but to run my glove over it to clean it. Yes, it is all scratched up now. I have another plus I am due for a new helmet.

I have had very little dirt experience and I was the oldest (70 and a half) on the ride. However, often I was the first to the next stop and never last. I was more ready to head out after a lunch or fuel stop than anyone else. Every stop was at least 30 minutes just standing around after eating or fueling. I wanted to get to the next overnight stop so I could clean up and relax. On one stretch of good road a marine in the group on a BMW R1200GS was hauling butt through the curves, I was right on his tail. We had a good spirited ride.

A some parts of the road was pure hell and other parts were good and a lot of in between with leanings towards hell. Some parts that were paved should have been dirt so they would be smoother. The wooden bridge at the Yukon River was a bit squirrelly while wet.

The Yukon Crossing is where we were supposed to get fuel. On the way north I did not see anywhere to fuel up there so I kept going. By riding the same motorcycle I had for 3 days I knew the range was about 180 miles at highway speeds. For the most part I was running around 50 or 60. Coldfoot the only fuel stop after Yukon Crossing was over 200 miles from my last stop. With 54 miles left showing on my range computer but 75 miles to go I figured I was screwed. Slowing down to 35 and 40 plus pulling the clutch in on the down hill I arrived at the Coldfoot fuel pump with ZERO miles left. The tank was supposed to hold 4 gallons, I put 5.1 in it. I am glad I always fill to the top.

Some of the road appeared very smooth and firm. No it was not. After grading it the surface is very soft and deep and very squirrelly.

We stayed at the Deadhorse Hotel or Camp whatever. Dump is more like it. The place needs to be destroyed. No locks on the doors. Community bath with 4 urinals and 4 toilets with only 3 of each working when we arrived. By morning only one of each worked. I did not use any of the 4 showers, just adult size wipes for me. The food was OK.

I know there are better places to stay, at least 3. One being the Aurora. Another my buddy stayed at when he went last year was about 300 a night (nothing is cheap up there) but they had an all you can eat buffet with prime rib and a all you can eat complete breakfast buffet. He is picky but he said it was very good food.

The Deadhorse stay made the Coldfoot Camp feel like a 5 star which was very, very basic. But we did have our own bathroom and shower. The people at the Cold Foot restaurant were very nice and the food was good.

I am very glad I went. I am very glad I used MotoQuest Tours motorcycle. I did not have to clean it. There was a chase truck for breakdowns and extra fuel between Coldfoot and Deadhorse, plus they made the hotel arrangements which I understand can be tricky at times. I just wish the Deadhorse stay would have been better.

I did go for a swim in the Arctic Ocean, 34 degrees, but no wind and an unusually warm 55 degrees on land.

My VTX could have made the trip with me riding it but it probably would have been a wreck when finished. I do not believe I would want to put a motorcycle of mine through that. I rode the rented BMW F750GS like I stole it.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 140,000mi+Yamaha RSV,42,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 20SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:32 AM

Sureshot and Leroy73-------Well I did it. Bought a RSV for two up riding with my wife. Found out the one I mentioned earlier had a salvage title so I thought price was a bit high. Ended up getting a 07 with 25600 miles for 4000.00. Thank you both for your input.
leroys73 likes this.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Riviere Send a message via MSN to Earl Riviere Send a message via Yahoo to Earl Riviere
The only problem with being retired is, YOU NEVER GET A DAY OFF !!!! I have been retired for 10 years and will turn 75 this Wednesday. Ride every day that is not raining.
cokerb, VTXer_wannaB and leroys73 like this.

Earl"Tynker"Riviere
62 years behind bars
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:39 PM

Like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Riviere View Post
The only problem with being retired is, YOU NEVER GET A DAY OFF !!!! I have been retired for 10 years and will turn 75 this Wednesday. Ride every day that is not raining.
I what to grow up and have a job like you.
Earl Riviere likes this.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sureshot and Leroy73-------Well I did it. Bought a RSV for two up riding with my wife. Found out the one I mentioned earlier had a salvage title so I thought price was a bit high. Ended up getting a 07 with 25600 miles for 4000.00. Thank you both for your input.
Did you keep your X?

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroys73 View Post
Did you keep your X?
As of now I do have it. A friend has had it since May riding it and is supposed to be buying it by the end of the year. If not then I will sell it.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
As of now I do have it. A friend has had it since May riding it and is supposed to be buying it by the end of the year. If not then I will sell it.
A buddy bought his X when I did but only kept it a year before trading for a Wing. He has always regretted not keeping it for non touring rides.

So far I still ride mine, 140,000 miles on it, after 4 years ago buying the Yamaha Royal Star Venture for touring. The high miles on the X is one reason I thought I needed a replacement long distance touring. I really like riding my X. I have made it comfortable and it is so reliable. I'd still take it to Alaska again. The RSV is a little more comfortable with about 100,000 less miles and probably just as reliable.

I hate the thought of getting rid of my X. It has taken me so many places. It is about worthless to someone else with the high miles on it. But I really don't need two of them. I have been in the same situation with cars, own more than I can drive.

I can't help it, I like cars and motorcycles. Boats too, but I gave up that addiction when it became way too much work for the limited fun and I don't fish. Airplanes are out of my league, although I do like them.
cokerb and Earl Riviere like this.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroys73 View Post
A

I hate the thought of getting rid of my X. It has taken me so many places. It is about worthless to someone else with the high miles on it. But I really don't need two of them. I have been in the same situation with cars, own more than I can drive.

I can't help it, I like cars and motorcycles. Boats too, but I gave up that addiction when it became way too much work for the limited fun and I don't fish. Airplanes are out of my league, although I do like them.
I bought a Stratoliner a little over two years ago. Kept the VTX because I liked it so much and like you, didn't think I could get what I thought it was worth due to it having 75000 miles on it. Also a couple of friends would ride it when our group from church would ride together. Also have two bikes that I keep for another friend, a Yamaha 1300 and a Honda Valkyrie. He likes motorcycles but doesn't make time to ride so he has asked me to keep them and ride them. Trying to sell the Valkyrie but they are a hard sell. With that being said, having 4 bikes I have more bikes at my house than I can ride and one of the friends who has been riding my VTX agreed on a fair price so he will be getting it soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page