4Likes
  • 1 Post By leroys73
  • 1 Post By leroys73
  • 1 Post By cokerb
  • 1 Post By leroys73

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Prudhoe Bay

I am a bit embarrassed to post this. I have always ridden my motorcycle to every place I plan to ride a motorcycle. Even more so since I like to ride long distances.

I guess I will start with a question: Have any of you used Ayres Adventure Tours or MotoQuest tours?

I have ridden to Alaska but not Prudhoe Bay. I have planned to do Prudhoe Bay for at least 5 years. I just do not have the time to ride from Dallas to Anchorage then the about 1800 miles round trip to Prudhoe Bay. Plus I do not want to take either of my motorcycles on that road for that many miles. I have ridden the X and the RSV on some hellish roads but not that many miles.

I know some of you have ridden the X up there and many other riders have ridden GWs, Ultras, trikes, Spyders, motorcycles with side cars, and some even pulling trailers. I just do not want to have to clean all that calcium chloride off of mine, fix the broken parts, or worry about a place to sleep. Plus they have a chase vehicle for repairs and they have to clean the motorcycles. All hotels are furnished with some meals. Ayres was going to furnish all hotels plus two meals per day for a little more money.

The reason for asking the above question, which I guess is too late now, is that I first signed up for the Ayres Adventure tour. I sort of knew Ron Ayres (he has passed on) and I liked what I read about the tours. So initially I signed up for their tour but it was cancelled in March for lack riders. I had met the Owner of MotoQuest last year. Low and behold I got an email from him in March almost the same day as the cancellation by Ayres.

Have any of you had any experience with MotoQuest? Even Ayres as a future reference.

It is a little late to ask since I signed up for the MotoQuest Prudhoe Bay tour.

The short of it is I will land in Anchorage (The Wife gave me her frequent flyer miles from work) June 24. Then I'll rent one of MQs BMW F700GS June 25 to ride to Chitina, Valdez, back to Anchorage then to Homer and Seward. The afternoon of the 28th I'll meet up with the tour in Anchorage after my personal solo 3 and 1/2 day, 1200 mile tour of Alaska. The next morning we are off to see "Santa". Well close enough.

I hope to be able to say I got my personal parts wet in the near freezing Arctic Ocean.

I was willing to put it off another year. However, The Wife reminded me I was not getting any younger, 70 this past January, so I had better grab the gusto while I can. This will sure put a dent in our bank account. Oh well, The Wife still works. The American dream... wife works, husband plays.

This trip will be days after our long saved for trip to Normandy for the 75th anniversary of the D-day landing. We will be on the beaches June 6. The Wife and I both have wanted to go there for many years. I am sure I will be much more emotional at Normandy than Alaska. I am also sure Normandy will be my most memorable trip ever.
steveroy60 likes this.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 138,000mi+Yamaha RSV,37,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 19SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:30 AM

Garage
I admire your ambition!
I have a friend who rode his Bergman to Alaska from the Atlanta area.
On his return trip he took the Ferry from Alaska to Seattle.
I wish you well on your journeys.
Some day I may get to the northern west/mid-west states.
Probably not on two wheels.
Take care, enjoy the ride!

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 190,260 VTX miles
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, Hans.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 138,000mi+Yamaha RSV,37,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 19SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Garage
That would not be enough time for me between Normandy and Anchorage.

Good to see you can still do it.

Have a safe journey.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDolittle View Post
That would not be enough time for me between Normandy and Anchorage.

Good to see you can still do it.

Have a safe journey.

Thanks
I know what you mean but both are a now or maybe never. The 75th anniversary at Omaha Beach for D-day is a once in a lifetime for sure.
DrDolittle likes this.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

Glad to see someone doing what they enjoy in life. So many people seem to spend their life just living and never take time to live. Next spring will be 35 years that I have worked 12 hour days for the same company. I will be 55 years old and plan to retire from my current job as I will be eligible for retirement. I may have to pick up another job but if I do it will be on my terms as I plan to do some of the things that I enjoy and have always wanted to do. Long motorcycle trips is one of the things that I too enjoy and plan to do. Also, like you, I have a wife that supports me doing the things that I enjoy and I am thankful for that.
leroys73 likes this.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Corkerb,
Glad to hear that. I had to change jobs and often had second jobs to break up the boredom. I admire anyone who can stay with the same company as long as you have but it sure paid off. I haven't been bored since I retired 7 years ago. I am busier now than ever.

I did manage to retire from one career that was eating me up at 58 then work for 5 years at what I called semi retirement. Like you said, it was on my terms.

Retirement is the best job I have ever had.

We are blessed to have supportive wives. I thank God every day for blessing me with my wife and the health I still have.
Take care of your health and you will get to enjoy some fantastic retirement rides.
cokerb likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page