Ms 5000 - VTXOA
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By leroys73
  • 1 Post By leroys73

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Ms 5000

That is Multiple Sclerosis 5000 started by Paul Pelland who has MS and he is a serious rider, www.longhaulpaul.com to raise money for awareness of MS through News and Views for MS. I met him and he is on crazy hard working motorcycle rider.

Last spring I rode his MS 1000 which was actually a Saddle Sore 1000 with donations going to the above. I signed up for the MS 5000. This was 5000 miles in 50 days with donations going to the cause. This normally would been an easy task for me so I planned to do two SS3000 ride with maybe a third thus in the process qualifying me for the Iron Butt Mile Eater Silver for this year and Mile Eater Gold for my IBA riding "career". This was to start September 1 and end October 20.

I had been having trouble with my shoulder going numb or down right hurting for some time. Pills, injections, therapy stopped working. On my Dalton Highway ride this summer it became a real problem with a lot of pain from time to time. But I was able to adjust and deal with it.

In August I attempted a SS1000 up north to visit friends and relatives including a loop around Lake Michigan, down to Cincinnati then back home to Dallas. I had to cancel the SS1000 before I was 100 miles from home. With much pain I did get to visit two sets of friends in Wisconsin but I had to take three days to get back home the quickest route because of the pain. I called the doctor the next day for surgery.

I had surgery September 3. So here I am the third day of the MS 5000 and no riding for at least two weeks. I did get is 500 miles the first two days of September.

The doc said I could do what ever I wanted. If it hurt stop. Well, 10 days after surgery I rode about 60 miles. I felt tired and sore. The next day I did 60 miles and I was hurting. So no more of that for a few days. I had pain in my back (normal from the surgery) but I was still having trouble with pain in my shoulder and arm. That was supposed to be cured.

A week went by. I felt the need to ride. 115 miles and I was OK but still pain in shoulder and arm. One more week 160 miles. I was ok except for pain in shoulder and arm but I hit a bump about two thirds into the ride. By the time I got home I was hurting all over.

I waited a few more days to try again, 175 miles this time. All OK except my shoulder and arm. I like to think it is not as bad as before the surgery.

The doc said 4 to 6 weeks to complete recovery but then said something about 8 for a revisit. So another ride was needing done. Time was running out of time for the MS 5000. By now I knew the third SS3000 was out the window and probably all three.

I waited a few more days and decided to make a day ride. It had been a month. He said 4 to 6, why not. I headed out west about 200 miles forcing me to ride back at least as far. I managed to extend it to a 460 mile ride. My shoulder and arm hurt but managed for awhile. The last 100 I was hurting. I was beat when I got home.

Two days later I decided to make a trip to Houston the long way from my home north of Dallas one day and return the next day. I used some secondary roads along with I-45.

I finally made it. The heat got to me a little going down to Houston. I was still having trouble with my shoulder and arm. I tell myself it is getting better but I am not sure. I did very well on the return home the next day. Yes, shoulder and arm hurt but otherwise a good ride. I wasn't tired. So I have to do at least 500 tomorrow.

If any of you would like to donate to a good cause go to www.MS5000.org or www.longhaulpaul.com. Support rider Jerry Stevens
Bri720a likes this.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 140,000mi+Yamaha RSV,42,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 20SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs

Last edited by leroys73; 10-11-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Well I did end the MS5000 as a finisher just not as high up as I had set my goal. This shoulder thing is taking its toll on my riding. I see the doc Tuesday I hope he has good news for the future or I'll be pissed that i even had surgery. I thought it was suppose to fix the issue.
Bri720a likes this.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm70 rode 07 Black Cherry VTX 1300R to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 140,000mi+Yamaha RSV,42,000mi,both w/aux tank & Race Tech SuspensionIBA:Mile Eater Bronze &Silver,SS3000,3xSS2000,EclipseSS1000Gold, 20SS1000,6xBB1500,3TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour 15 to 20K per yr between the two MCs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page