Honda VTX Forum banner

3rd annual VTXers Quabbin Ride

862 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  roadstargirl 
#1 ·
Several meeting places, IHOP, Raynham, Boxborough, all headed out to Cycle Design in Phillipston for the 3rd annual Quabbin Ride.

Down Route 2, first nice day since a week of rain and you could SMELL everything...choke cherries in bloom, grass being cut, that's one of my favorite things about riding. Went out to exit 18 and got on Route 2A, gas stop, and then went to the motorcycle dealership that sponsors the New England board, they made all kinds of breakfast goodies for us and had coffee and squeeze-your-own OJ. How cool!

While we were yakking and drinking coffee, a couple more people showed up, CT was represented and a Cape guy who would have met me at IHOP and ended up coming up alone, having been too late to hit Raynham to ride with us.

After about 45 minutes of socializing and oggling the goods inside, we headed out. Went around Quabbin Reservoir (largest lake in Massachusetts, covers what used to be three towns and it now supplies water to Boston) which is a route of 82 miles. Small towns, no traffic, big sweeping curves, what a great time. We made two stops on the route: the observation tower (you can see Springfield and UMass in Amherst from up there) and the visitors center at the State Police Barracks. Went by a gorge filled with lovely swirling green and blue water, it was gorgeous.

Headed back to the cycle shop and they had hot dogs, hamburgers, homemade potato and pasta salad, homemade salsa, chips, sodas, more coffee, etc. Usually we make a donation and Cycle Design finds a worthy cause. This time they made us all promise to "pay it forward" in the name of motorcycling...like if you see a motorcyclist broken down, stop and help....stop to let one into traffic, or if you're on your motorcycle and you see alittle old lady hauling her trash cans to the curb, stop and do it for her. Then we are supposed to email what we did to them.

We all had plenty to eat and then it was time to hit the parts counter! They give us great discounts, I picked up a few things and it seems like everyone else did, too.

Time to head home, 4:30 p.m.....we headed off and everyone peeled off when they got near their homes, I ended up getting off the bike at 7:30, my ride leader responsibilities done. :cool:

In all we had about 30 bikes out there, down from last year but lots of conflicts with graduation, etc. We'll be doing it again in the fall, feel free to join us!

I had a great time, put on almost 400 miles, and wish I was out there today....

The group went to Mt. Washington for the "motorcycles only" day....lucky them!!! They have great weather for it today.

Here are some pics if you're interested:

http://www.nevtxriders.com/modules.php? ... temId=3088

While you're there, check for upcoming events and come out for a ride!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ya know I really like the "pay it forward" idea. I make it a point to always stop to assist a bike, weather on My X or in the Cage.
HOWEVER :pepper1:
I take great pride in Rolling up on "HRDLY" :a13: (My Red 1300 Retro) as she is ominously named. LOL :beer2:
:beer3:

Oh I will ad, I am from R.I.
I may have met some of you guys at the RACA Ride in 05

#3 ·
As a woman, I sometimes wonder if it's a good idea to stop....at least if I am alone...

I like the name of your bike, very clever....

Are you an ex Marine?

#4 ·
In my youth I was Active Duty Marine,
But as History tells us,
only Ex-Marines
ARE DEAD MARINES

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.