TX inspection sticker placement [Archive] - VTXOA

: TX inspection sticker placement

GOG
06-20-2009, 02:35 AM
Hi everyone!. Total bike newbie here with an 06 1800r. I only moved to TX 3yrs ago and this inspection sticker thing is new to me.
I got my back about 3 weeks ago and the dealer put the inspection sticker on this giant aluminum plate that fits behind the paper plate and sticks up to display the sticker. It blocks the lower 1/4" of the tail light too. It looks like crap!!!
I got my real plate yesterday and pulled off the aluminum inspection sticker plate since it wont fit behind the license plate. I shoved it in my saddlebag for now.
Where do you all mount your inspection stickers? I know some states allow it on the bike frame.

sparkp
06-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I know it's not legal but I have mine on the inside of my left cover. I've never been hassled about it. I've never been pulled over yet and have had cops behind me several times.

GOG
06-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking I will do...Too bad the dealer stuck it to that HUGE metal plate. I'll probably just throw it in the bottom of my saddlebag for now......Thanks for the reply!:thumbup:

VTXChad
07-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking I will do...Too bad the dealer stuck it to that HUGE metal plate. I'll probably just throw it in the bottom of my saddlebag for now......Thanks for the reply!:thumbup:
Have a plate on the swing arm for the inspection!! You can make it out of the piece of junk they have th inspection sticker on!! Just have it in plain view for when you get pulled over!
Here is a pic!!

http://www.texasxriders.com/gallery/108_05_03_09_1_54_01.jpeg

GOG
07-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Hey! Thanks for the tip but my bags block most of the view of the swingarm unless you bend down....Also per state law the tag has to be visible from the rear of the bike so I am thinking about making something I can put on the back of the passenger backrest.....For now its living in my bag.....

Nice bike by the way!

sparkp
07-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I know it's not legal but I have mine on the inside of my left cover. I've never been hassled about it. I've never been pulled over yet and have had cops behind me several times.

Well I got stopped in Galveston last weekend. There were 6 riding in our group of which 4 of us didn't have helmets on. They were pulling everyone over who didn't have a helmet on to check insurance. Anyway after insurance verification the Officer asked me why I didn't have an inspection sticker. I pulled off my left side cover and showed it to him and he simply said thanks and sent me on my way. Guess I got a nice officer, we'll see what happens if I ever get pulled over by a hard-ass.

Trail Boss
07-16-2009, 10:14 AM
I mounted mine on my frame by the shifter using a metal clamp.

YellowFx4
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Talked to the guys at Denton County Choppers as well as a couple of officers, including a State Trooper (He is a hard...nose--pulled over a friend for too dark of a tint.) They all said that here in Tx the sticker is supposed to be visible from the rear of the bike.

I had the inspector put mine on the shock--the top part that doesn't slide so it can be seen from behind. Obviously I don't have saddlebags.

BIG DADDY BEAR
07-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah it does look ugly--bought a bracket from cycle gear- the inspection sticker part of the bracket does stick up about an inch onto the tail light ! The dps guy was @ the station when i had my bike inspected & he told me the same others have said-must be visible from rear -i think i have seen a bracket that mounts off to the side & lets license & inspection sticker be seen--if i can find it i will let you know !

GOG
07-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah I think there are a few places that sell little brackets that you can mount in places on the bike for the sticker. Havent decided what I am doing on mine yet. I think I will make something up that will go on my bags or the backrest somewhere. The shock idea is a good one if you dont have bags....

172MPH
07-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Last inspection I got, didn't give me a choice...said it had to be visible from the back of the bike. About the only place left that wasn't on paint was the shock...wasn't ideal but don't have bags or anything on my F model so was the least of the evils IMO.

starider
08-18-2009, 06:27 PM
I asked the manager at the local harley dealer about the sticker and he opened his wallet and showed me his. He stated that you must show the sticker, if asked by a police officer. He tells me it's not written anywhere where the sticker is to be posted. So I stuck mine under my seat of the Yamaha I was riding. Never got asked for it.
Also, turn signals are not required here in Texas for motorcycles. Theres no check box on the inspection sheet when we get inspected.
When I get my 1300 inspected next year Im goin to stick it on the inside left side cover. I'll pop it off if I get stopped and show it if asked. Thats if the commy gestopo want to see it.:doorag:

sparkp
08-18-2009, 06:34 PM
I asked the manager at the local harley dealer about the sticker and he opened his wallet and showed me his. He stated that you must show the sticker, if asked by a police officer. He tells me it's not written anywhere where the sticker is to be posted. So I stuck mine under my seat of the Yamaha I was riding. Never got asked for it.
Also, turn signals are not required here in Texas for motorcycles. Theres no check box on the inspection sheet when we get inspected.
When I get my 1300 inspected next year Im goin to stick it on the inside left side cover. I'll pop it off if I get stopped and show it if asked. Thats if the commy gestopo want to see it.:doorag:

I hate to say this but the Harley Manager is wrong. It is written that the inspection sticker MUST BE VISIBLE from the rear of the motorcyle.

mb51521
08-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I took that same type plate and cut it down, bent 90 degrees and bolted behind my tag.

GOG
08-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I took that same type plate and cut it down, bent 90 degrees and bolted behind my tag.
I would do that but I have a laydown plate holder now so it would hit the tail lens. It is still living in my saddlebag for now......

RickC
09-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I had the same ugly POS plate. Check your Honda shop for a small mounting plate that can be bolted on somewhere like the lower shock bolt. I took my ugly one and made something similar in less than 30min.

RickC
09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Here are a couple pics of the bracket I made from the huge aluminum piece.

tattoowho
09-27-2009, 10:26 PM
This is what I have in progress. For the time being, my inspection sticker is on the backrest, but will end up being where the exposed screws are now.

dosxxs
10-05-2009, 12:07 AM
I put mine on my shock also. I do have saddle bags and if you look in the right place from the back of the bike you can see it. Legal from my interpretation of the law.:D

just wanna ride
12-31-2009, 08:58 PM

As a matter of fact, a signal light (left side) is required by law:dontknow: ..check this out..http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/

jwr..

me
01-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Yes it must have a white light on at all times an be clearly visable from the back of the bike. State law.
FS

Danow
02-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Yes it must have a white light on at all times an be clearly visable from the back of the bike. State law.
FS
First I ever heard that..... seems like we have many interpertations of the law here. Think we need to find out once and for all.

I put my sticker on a chrome plate purchased online somewhere and mounted it on my passengers floorboard mounting. It faces backward and if you look real hard it is visible from the back and from the front it is just another piece of chrome......:D

My bike is an 02 that I purchased in 06 ... the original owner never had it inspected and never got popped for it either. Don't think they are that picky here in North Texas. I also run around with my LEDs on and no one ever said anything about that.

BrianVTX1800
02-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Always wanted to live in Texas, starting to reconsider after this inspection sticker crap..

vtxladyo3
03-07-2010, 07:37 PM
here is what i did, looks ok to me , made a thin plate bolt to right of license plate then drops down to right lower past plate and cut it a little bigger than the inspection sticker, have made one for three different bikes all worked good, i used the plate like the one seen that go above the plate or below the plate, just modified it to fit.....works good,last long time...hope this helps.....don

TXStateAlumn
03-07-2010, 10:48 PM
I know wrong place put this caught my attention.

Well I got stopped in Galveston last weekend. There were 6 riding in our group of which 4 of us didn't have helmets on. They were pulling everyone over who didn't have a helmet on to check insurance. Anyway after insurance verification the Officer hard-ass.

That is not legal.. I mean, an officer can NOT pull a biker over to verify insurance info. Here is a C&P from the Texas Law Book

Motorcycle Helmet Exemptions

On June 19, 2009, Governor Rick Perry signed into law
Senate Bill 1967 of the 81st Regular Legislative Session.
This law became effective September 1, 2009 and
repealed the helmet exemption sticker program.

Please read the following important information pertaining
to the helmet exemption:

Former law required a person be covered with a minimum of $10,000 in health insurance for injuries incurred in a motorcycle accident to be eligible for an exception for the offense of operating or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. The law removes that minimum amount. The law requires the Texas Department of Insurance to prescribe a standard proof of health insurance for issuance to persons who are at least 21 years of age and covered by an applicable health insurance plan. "Health insurance plan" means an individual, group, blanket, or franchise insurance policy, insurance agreement, evidence of coverage, group hospital services contract, health maintenance organization membership, or employee benefit plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.
The law prohibits a peace officer from stopping or detaining a person who is the operator of or a passenger on a motorcycle for the sole purpose of determining whether the person has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a motorcycle health insurance plan and repeals provisions relating to a DPS-issued sticker required to be displayed on a motorcycle by a motorcycle owner.

For more information on this law, please visit Texas Legislature Online (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=SB1967#) or contact the Texas Department of Insurance at 800-252-3439.

anyride
03-08-2010, 01:00 AM
then you may have a problem.Most of the total of 6 years I lived in and around Houston,they pretty much leave you alone. I think its also an law,if you have over 25 people at any gathering,you are required to have an policeman there. I like it.It stops all the macho B/S and if there is any emergency,he can simply summond the appropriate needs. Once back in Houston,I was out on Friday nite hitting all the big dance bars on Westheimer. I went to offload some beer and as i stepped up to the urinal,a guy handed me a "lefty" and i hit it and went to "pass" it as is custom and this guy puts an big revolver to my head,bending me over into the urinal and saying',DROP IT AND FLUSH IT NOW"! Naturally,I did as instructed and was hoping my other discharge valve wouldnt let go.....he then stood me up and screamed into my face,"Go to F....home now."! I didnt hesitate an min and got to the rental car I was provided by my contract and did exackly that. Next day,the saturday paper has the story about a big drug bust at the place.....only it wasnt any weeds,it was bigtime coke and i didnt go out for almost 2 months. That cop was giving me a super break and I never ever even have said anything bad about Texas police since !

anyride
03-08-2010, 01:07 AM
the inspection sticker goes onto the left lower fork tube.No exceptions. I was told,its so the staties can look at you going by,see the dayglo sticker(changed to another color yearly)easily. If its not there or its green and current color is purple,they will do an 180 and chase you. I trailered my Nighthawk S allover the country and never got hasseled about the Penna plate or inspection sticker?

starider
04-16-2010, 12:20 AM
As a matter of fact, a signal light (left side) is required by law:dontknow: ..check this out..http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/

jwr..

Turn Signal not running light.
There is no check point for turn signals on the motorcycle inspection check list.

I demanded the old man who inspected my bike to show me where it was written as where it was supposed to be placed. He looked all over the regulation and he counldn't find it. I looked too but I didn't find it either. So it seems the manager at the Harley Dearlership didn't lie to me. Ther was no clear regulation as to where it is supposed to be.
So I installed it on an aluminum plate on the right side.
If some one can reproduce the exact regulation, page and paragraph it wwritten on it would end this guessing.
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt255/starider_album/VTX/th_100_1080.jpg

sparkp
04-16-2010, 10:02 AM
This is right off the Texas Motorcycle Laws page:

TRC 548.255.
ATTACHMENT OR PRODUCTION OF INSPECTION CERTIFICATE.
(a) An inspection certificate shall be attached to or produced for a vehicle in the manner required by department rule.
(b) The department shall:
(1) require that a certificate for a motorcycle be attached to the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate; and
(2) adopt rules with respect to display of an inspection certificate for a moped.

Leaves a little room for interpretation when it says "near the license plate".

DannoDaddio
05-09-2010, 11:41 PM
I've got mine on the side...a plate mounted to the swingarm, not exactly visable from the rear of the bike. Got pulled once near Round Rock by a DPS trooper. She pulled me on the Interstate because she couldn't see the plate. When I showed it to her along with my sticker, she didn't have any issue with its placement. She did have an issue with the bike being 8 months out of inspection. She had an issue...I had a ticket.

Steamboat
05-11-2010, 09:10 PM
:agree: This is what I did.....Doesn't block the tail light and is visible from the rear...............

rwrogers
06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
If the reason the inspection sticker is supposed to be on the back of the bike is so that police and see it easily, they why is on the front windshileds of cars, why not on the back by the license plate? If a car can put it on the front, why can a bike not have it there? Not that I would want mine on the front, just asking.

I currently have mine on the left side, drive shaft cover, but I'm thinking of making a plate that will bolt to the back side of the left side cover, facing the back of the bike. Not sure if that's legal but that's where I'm going to put it. I've had mine on the left side drive shaft cover for several years, over 10K miles and have been pulled over about 5 times, gotten tickets for speeding and unsafe lane change. However no one ever said anything about my inspection sticker or where it was placed.

lhack
08-07-2010, 10:51 PM
I decided today to take the plate the sticker was mounted on and cut it way down. Then I put it to the right of the plate. There is just enough room left for the sticker. And I re-centered the entire piece so that it doesn't block my turn signals either. I drilled a new hole in the plate so that it uses the same screw as the lower hole in the license plate. And now my tail light is no longer blocked by the larger plate that they use at the dealer for the sticker. It did use up one entire cutting wheel on the Dremel though. Worth it.

hparsons
09-29-2010, 02:59 AM
First I ever heard that..... seems like we have many interpertations of the law here. Think we need to find out once and for all.

I put my sticker on a chrome plate purchased online somewhere and mounted it on my passengers floorboard mounting. It faces backward and if you look real hard it is visible from the back and from the front it is just another piece of chrome......:D

My bike is an 02 that I purchased in 06 ... the original owner never had it inspected and never got popped for it either. Don't think they are that picky here in North Texas. I also run around with my LEDs on and no one ever said anything about that.
The white light is required for the plate, not the sticker. Here's what the Texas Driver's Handbook says:
Motorcycles and mopeds shall have the inspection certificate displayed near the rear license plate.

Danow
09-29-2010, 10:09 AM
The white light is required for the plate, not the sticker. Here's what the Texas Driver's Handbook says:

well if I ever get stopped for it and they don't like the location I put it in I will move it. It says near the license plate.... they need to define the word NEAR. It is definitely nearer to my license plate than my head light is. :lol:

I don't think there will be any problem where it is.