Honda VTX Forum banner

Rear flange bearing...how do I know

7K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  fast 600 
#1 ·
I have recently upgraded from a 2005 vtx 1300R to a 2003 vtx 1800C. Love the power but I have been reading that there are several known issues with the 1800's.

The bike has 7k miles on it. It has a few rust spots as well...and ordinary wear to be 16 years old.

Anyway, other than looking for final drive fluid leaks or pulling the wheel off, how would I know if I had a bad wheel bearing?

Also, the front shocks/springs/struts...are the typically a little bouncy on the 1800?

thanks for the help!

Brock

#2 ·
Your post asks about wheel bearings, but your thread title asks about flange bearings. Two very different things. But they can both let you know via noise that they are gone. The better way to identify "time to replace" is just to feel them when you've got rear wheel off bike. If they roll smoothly, they are good. If you feel roughness, then shell out a few bucks.

The flange bearings seem to get lots of hype, but lots of people have reported having them almost completely reduced to rust and grit and it still didn't have any catastrophic impact on the bike. Not that I'm saying it's unimportant to have the pumpkin and wheel spin smoothly on the same axis... but just that flange bearing degradation won't likely leave you on the side of the road. Just a good thing to PM whenever your rear wheel is off for lube PM or tire replacement.

#3 ·
known issues ?????? on an 1800

flange bearings.. mine went bad at 45,000 miles
clutch springs... mine went bad at 55,000 miles
fork seals and bushings at 83,000 miles..

WHAT PROBLEMS..... I got my bike NEW

87,000 plus miles.

#6 ·
There are 2 flange bearings, in the final drive mounted back to back. You feel them/rotate them when you have the wheel off for new tire. If they are smooth to rotate they are fine. There are then, 2 wheel bearings inside the wheel one on either side

BTW....1300's had the same problem

#12 ·
Thanks, Jon. I mislaid your contact info. Keep up the good work.

#10 ·
I don't know if Honda ever fixed the issue in later years but certainly early models were prone to flange bearing failure. I have an early 2002 VTX1800C, I can't remember the mileage, when the flange bearings failed it's too many years ago now, but it was around the time of the second rear tire change. I replaced them and they failed again a tire change or two later. My thought was that the combined medium press fit of the bearing O.D. into the flange housing and the flanged bushing pressed into the bearing bore was excessive to the point where the internal clearance in the bearing races was reduced enough to cause premature failure. So on the second replacement, I polished both the O.D. of the bushing and the bore of the flange housing just enough to reduce the press fit to a light press fit, that was over 40,000 miles ago. When I changed the rear tire last year, the bearings were still in good condition.

#11 ·
Not wheel bearings but rather flange bearings, on mine I saw mangled chunks of metal hanging in the grease when I changed the rear tire. No symptoms whatsoever. The pair of bearings are standard 6905RS bearings available anywhere. What it looked like cleaned up.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
So looking at the 2002-2008 VTX1800C/F service manual per page 14-7, the diagram at bottom indicates to replace 3 bearings

1. Final Driven Flange A bearing (6905 RS) with new O-ring
2. Bearing (6304UU)
3. bearing (20 x 47 x 20.6mm) - does this one have bearing number ??? with new O-ring
3. Dust seal
5. Brake Disc bolts

In post #11 above, Enduro mentions a pair of 6905RS bearings. Is that in a 1300 ?

That doesn't seem right according to 1800 pic attached.

Would it not be a good idea to buy double seal bearings to keep crap out ?

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
So looking at the 2002-2008 VTX1800C/F service manual per page 14-7, the diagram at bottom indicates to replace 3 bearings

1. Final Driven Flange A bearing (6905 RS) with new O-ring
2. Bearing (6304UU)
3. bearing (20 x 47 x 20.6mm) = 5204-2RS Sealed Ball Bearing, 20x47x20.6 (Double row)
3. Dust seal
5. Brake Disc bolts

In post #11 above, Enduro mentions a pair of 6905RS bearings. Is that in a 1300 ?
1300 and 1800 Bottom right corner of the PDF shows cut open view,
you can see double 6905RS bearings.

That doesn't seem right according to 1800 pic attached.

Would it not be a good idea to buy double seal bearings to keep crap out ?
I should have spent 30 minutes with a brake cylinder hone to get the light press in on the driven flange,
I used a 5/8" bolt and the bearing stack tilted some on install. I had to correct that. My vise would have done better,

How do you know if the bearings are GOOD? Put your finger(s) on the inner race and twist back and forth.
Remove flange, insert favorite finger into inner race, and spin the unit. Anything but smooth turning is bad...

Attachments

#16 ·
Hans & Feet,

Wow, not sure I know how to read that cut open view to see that....

So, please correct me if I am wrong here.....so to replace all bearings, it takes

2 6905-2RS or RS
1 6304UU
1 5204-2RS

What does the 2 stand for before the RS....just curious......

Thanks and much appreciated.....

#18 ·
Hans & Feet,

Most excellent explanation of cut-out view.....

That double row ball bearing here in San Diego from Kaman bearing - Koyo brand - $54 for one ......wow expensive.....however I have seen other brands for cheaper....
The 6905 & 6304 are reasonable.....

#21 · (Edited)
Jon's.....much appreciated on the info.....yes I do now see the 2 flange bearings....looking at Honda direct line.....

Do you suggest the 91051 vs 91052 since the 91051 is double sealed ? Is that correct ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.