Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a couple drips of oil on the floor recently and it looks to be from the left engine cover near the front on the bottom (near the oil pressure sensor). The sensor is not leaking. My Honda service manual doesn't cover removal of the cover. My question is there anything tricky about removing the cover and what sealant is recommended?
Thanks Shawn K.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
a hose from the top of engine....

crankcase vent hose... manual calls for the end cap to be removed 'x' number of miles.. to Drain the hose.
is behind / below the left side cover..

·
Registered
11,369 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the chrome crank cover appears to be leaking. It looks like I'll have to remove the clutch slave assembly to remove the cover. Not sure if there is anything else to be aware of? Need recommended sealant also. Sealant from Honda?

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Shawn - the oil pressure switch is on the Front Right crankcase.
There is a oil drain plug in the front of the left crankcase + Crush washer.
Have you done an oil change recently???

There are also oil galley plugs + Crush washers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: My oil leak was definitely coming from the left engine cover.
Had to do some digging in the Honda service manual on cover removal (found it in the alternator removal section).
Removal
1 Drain oil
2 Support bike so you can remove kickstand.
3 Remove floor board, shifter, rear left cover.
4 Remove clutch slave (no need to remove hose from slave just don't squeeze the clutch handle).
5 Unplug the 2 alternator harness plugs (harness on top of cover near dipstick).
6 Remove remaining side cover bolts to remove cover. The magnetic strength of the alternator is surprising when pulling the cover off!

• My V is 18 years old and this is the first leak it's had so not to bad so far. The sealant looks to have lost adhesion to the cover itself. The sealing surface of the cover is surprisingly chrome coated, smooth and shiny. Think I'm going to scuff the surface dull so the new sealant has something to adhere to. I'll be using Permatex Ultra Grey.
    20200402_213858.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I used Permatex #82194 Ultra Grey Gasket maker for two stator replacements.
Worked well for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts