Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 VTX 1300S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the bike today and I am deleting the fuel pump. I have a couple questions.
1. There was a vacuum line on the back of the pump, what is the purpose of it and what do I do with it?
2. What is the best way to run the single line to the carb?
Do I need to do anything to the power connections?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Awesome, congratulations!
Pics or it didn't happen. :) (we are suckers for pictures)

1. You can remove it and cap the port it came from.
2. Somebody smarter will need to answer that one, I don't have a 1300.
3. Not at all. Tuck them away from any direct heat source and you should be GTG.

·
Registered
2003 VTX 1300S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a picture with it taken apart. It hasn't run in quite a long time. No start unless I squirt a little fuel directly into the carb. Deleting pump and going to clean the carb really good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Also, if she sat a long time and the carb gaskets have started dissolving from the corn poison, I would recommend a new gasket set. There can be pretty strange symptoms from barely leaky gaskets. Don't ask how I know.
The kits normally do not come with jets. Just clean those very well to ensure that the metered orifice is clean of any corn solids that have built up over the months and years.
If you know what you are doing, my apologies, I do not mean these words as anything but friendly advice.
Let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
2003 VTX 1300S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I have it cleaned out pretty well. All of the fuel passages were clogged up. The rubber seals don't look bad at all.
I also removed the tank to drain out the bad fuel. Took the peacock off and the filter was stuck inside and kind of nasty. I will need to order a new one of those or get the vacuum one. I have it out just to see if it will start after cleaning carb.
I know what you mean by the corn juice. Luckily the closest gas station to me has one pump of ethanol free gas. It is all I use in my lawn equipment and all I will use in this.

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
Carb bowl has a drain screw...
There is no vacuum hose to the fuel pump.
The hose you see is the fuel tank vent hose.
The short hose should go from the tank to the TEE.
The TEE should have a hose going down to bottom of frame.
The other TEE port is open, it prevents water from being drawn into tank as gas is consumed.
The TEE is a vacuum breaker in case the lower hose is in water.
Step by Step has info, pump electrical should be disconnected.
Two early FP remove on this thread, and a later one I added.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
2003 VTX 1300S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I ever have a clogged accelerator pump again I will probably light the bike on fire before I go through that again...
Took the carb apart 4 times to finally get it to work.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Ouch! 4 times?
It just gets to show that nothing good comes from the government mandaring untested experimental solutions with unknown long term effects.
May it be a "green" energy hoax or similar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts