Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my bike that started last week. It started sputtering and trying to stall while I was riding, and if I keep babying the throttle , I can keep it running. It sounds just like it is running out of gas, and will cough, die, cough, die, etc. Then it will run fine. One of the times I noticed the F1 light was flashing, but it stopped sputtering before I could read the code. This morning, going to work, I was going to fuel up, having bought some fuel system cleaner. It had 95 miles on the trip meter, which is a lot since most of my driving is in the city. I wondered why the light hadn't gone on yet. While driving along doing about 40 in 3rd, I noticed the fuel light came on, dim as usual when it first comes on. That was when the bike threw a fit, sputtered repeatedly, and I saw that the fuel light was bright orange/yellow suddenly. I was sure at that time that I WAS going to run out of gas. I played with the throttle for about 1/2 mile, and the fit stopped as suddenly as it began, and the fuel light went out. No problems after that, though. When I was leaving work today, I started it w/o using the throttle, like I always do and it stalled. It was then that I noticed the F1 light flashing. I tried to get the code, but the long and short seem so F1close that I can't tell the difference. The closest I think I got to it is 24, but, like I said, I really couldn't differentiate. After watching the F1 light for a couple of minutes, I turned the key off and restarted it, twisting the throttle about 1/4 turn. It started and idled fine, with no F1 light. It sputtered once on the way home after that. Any ideas?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Start with the easy stuff first. Check/clean/tighten the battery cables. Have you done the ground fix?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I haven't kept up with the tech posts and issues. Battery connections are OK. I have seen elsewhere posts about broken/grounded wires under seat. Is that the ground problem you're talking about? Either way I am going to pull the seat tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
You should check tech board for instructions on ground fix (bad grounds at front coils and small ground under seat by brake proportioning block. I like to run a thick (10 gauge) ground on most of the bikes I work on as an extra.

No, I haven't kept up with the tech posts and issues. Battery connections are OK. I have seen elsewhere posts about broken/grounded wires under seat. Is that the ground problem you're talking about? Either way I am going to pull the seat tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys were right; it was the grounds. The ground at the front coil was the worst, but after some good cleaning both were fine. I didn't have to do the third because it is an '03. Chicago Spike, thanks for the link to the step-by-step. That thread, and especially the pictures made it so much easier to do. Thanks to all for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts