Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,

So earlier today I was coming from Utah to go to Vegas (my home) and during the trip, I was experiencing a weird issue. Going to Utah my bike was running completely fine. On the way home, my bike was puttering. The sound of the exhaust would change and I would have less power in the throttle. This was happening once every 20 miles. The main issue lasting for 2 seconds, and after those miles, things would go back to normal.

Now when I get to vegas things start to really become a problem. After riding for 600 miles, my bike loses full power. The exhaust sound changed completely (sounded like something was lodged inside the pipes), and in order to even go up onto the on-ramp, I had to use up the whole throttle in order to not get stuck on the incline. I'm unsure of what is going on with my bike. Any ideas and troubleshooting steps I should do in order to find the issue? Thanks for your help!!!

specs: 2003 Honda Vtx 1800C, Vance Hines Big Shots Staggered Exhaust, Power Commander 3. Everything else is stock.

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
Was your speedo acting strange???
Loose battery cables or the VSS???

PC3--you had better look at the Red/Yellow wire at the ECM.
The Vampire clip is loose and the vibration cuts into the strands and it goes intermittent.
Then it goes open... My best guess...

Reactions: pushrod

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speedo was not acting up on me. And I checked everything under the seat including the red/yellow wires coming from the PC3. The bike starts up and everything (not smoothly like before but does spark up), but when I rev the engine it's rough. Like if you are on the 5th gear and you start to move at the stoplight.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Jm, Is it taking more power to move the bike? Or, is the engine barely making enough power to move it? Might be worth taking the 'controller' (PC3) out of the circuit as a test. They have failed in the past.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
Gray wire from Pc3 to R/Y. Did you give it a good inspection??
Ground fix next on the agenda.. Go to Step by Step board, Ground Fix..
Is it running rich??? FPR possibly

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jm, Is it taking more power to move the bike? Or, is the engine barely making enough power to move it? Might be worth taking the 'controller' (PC3) out of the circuit as a test. They have failed in the past.
engine is barely making enough power. I go full throttle on 5th gear and it barely reaches 70 on a flat surface. How would I take the pc3 out of the circuit? i thoroughly checked where the wires lead and it looks like the previous owner spliced the wires. No main connector is visible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gray wire from Pc3 to R/Y. Did you give it a good inspection??
Ground fix next on the agenda.. Go to Step by Step board, Ground Fix..
Is it running rich??? FPR possibly
I double checked what red and yellow wire I saw and it looked like it was something else. My mistake for misleading on that. I will conduct the ground fix when I get the chance tomorrow. And I feel like the bike may be running rich. I Will do the diagnosis on the FPR tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Does she chug black smoke out the pipes at power?
I agree with others, unplugging the PC3 would give a big hint.
Also checking fuel pressure would tell us a lot.
Is the TPS bolted on tight? A loose sensor can cause all sorts of issues due to bad readings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update everyone!

So the issue has been solved (2 months ago) and it was the FPR. Sorry for not keeping everyone updated on this. A lot has happened on my end and never got the chance to update the thread. And another piece of sad news, the bike has been damaged (motorcycle accident) so I'm recovering rn. Only a broken leg has been sustained, but other than that I am good. Thanks again for everyone's help. Ride safe everyone!!!

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
Update everyone!

So the issue has been solved (2 months ago) and it was the FPR. Sorry for not keeping everyone updated on this. A lot has happened on my end and never got the chance to update the thread. And another piece of sad news, the bike has been damaged (motorcycle accident) so I'm recovering rn. Only a broken leg has been sustained, but other than that I am good. Thanks again for everyone's help. Ride safe everyone!!!
So sorry to hear that. I'm glad you are on the mend. How is the bike?

·
Registered
429 Posts
When you get mended up real good, post your damaged parts and if I have anything you might need ....it's yours for nothing ....hope I can help!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I might add if you have to deal with an insurance claim, ask the claim manger for a motor cycle experienced rep. Believe me it helps . I was rear ended and my claim rep. placed my bikes blue book and then added up the amount of all the add one for the total value. A little word to the wise , don't try and inflate too much on what you paid for the add one. If he knows bikes , he knows what add one value should be. Not saying you would try to take advantage , but he will appreciate your honesty .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just a thought. About 6 years ago on a trip home from Louisiana my 1800 started sputtering. I thought it might be the injectors. I nursed it to a truck stop and put son injector cleaner in the tank. When I got back to the highway it was running fine and never acted up again. Until a trip back from Kansas. It sputtered all the way home. Had 106000 miles on it so I bought another bike to ride while I pondered over the 1800. I remembered how the older vehicles acted when the coils went bad, They would run fine the run bad. I found some low mileage coils on ebay. 1800 runs just like the day I rode it out of the Dealer.

·
Super Moderator
63,943 Posts
Top 2 reasons for your symptoms;

1. Loose battery connections, tighten the posts up the VTX is notorious for having them come loose

2. Do the Ground Fix as seen on the How To;Step-by-Step board

1 - 14 of 14 Posts