Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering, I have only a couple hundred miles on my new bike and am noticing a slight "thump" when I go over bumps. Almost like something is loose. I took it to my dealer, the tech rode it and was unable to hear anything and said it rode great.

Am I crazy? Could I just be new at riding bikes and this is normal or a normal sound? Does anyone else know what the hell I'm talking about?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Thump.

I think I get the same sound. Been there for 23K miles and no problem.
Maybe the bike just needs to pass gas on occasion and looks for a way to disguise it? That's what i do.
:wink:

·
Registered
370 Posts
My stock R does the same thing. I believe it's the front forks on the rebound hitting the stop - someone who's had them apart help me here.

I've just gotten used to it and enjoy all of the stuff the bike does well.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I only have about 300 miles on my new '03 C and it does the exact same thing and you beat me to post he question. I have turned my head to the side many a time to see if I could isolate the sound, Exactly what you said, something sounds loose like a metalic rattle. Kinda freaky, but if it is common and no one has had a problem, then I guess we are ok and it's just one of those quirks that every motor vehicle has.
By the way, I just installed me ST Mean Mother pipes tonight, and I can tell you, that is the cure. Those suckers are so darn loud, there is no way I will ever hear that rattle again! :lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
If it is something metallic making noise it could be a few things.

1. it could be the headlight there is a fix for that on this board. I have fixed the headlight rattle

2. What I have found is the stupid radiator rattles alittle bit when you go over bumps or when you gun the engine. The grill seems to rattle some, if it is alittle loose you might want to tighten it up a bit. If you take it to the dealer just walk up to him and have him follow you to the bike, and just tap the grill and it will rattle some.

These are just the things I have noticed on the C model.

·
Registered
308 Posts
joex said:
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering, I have only a couple hundred miles on my new bike and am noticing a slight "thump" when I go over bumps. Almost like something is loose. I took it to my dealer, the tech rode it and was unable to hear anything and said it rode great.

Am I crazy? Could I just be new at riding bikes and this is normal or a normal sound? Does anyone else know what the hell I'm talking about?

Thanks,

Joe
I've got an 02 C 1800 and believe me, the suspension system is garbage. Needs to be beefed up front and rear. Shocks turned bad on mine in less than 10,000 miles as well as the front fork springs. Every one I know with the X has changed shocks. Honda should be ashamed of itself for putting that garbage on a VTX.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Lack of rebound dampening in the front springs. A lot of folks, me included have gone to the Progressive springs, much less diving under braking and less "thunking" as the fork doesn't use up its travel like it did before.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I get the same thing on my 18C. It's as if the spring (front or rear, can't really tell) is sitting on a lip and slips off and goes thunk!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts