Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this sort of question is really old and overly used but someone has to keep it from being thrown in a hole and covered up. lol

I am asking for you all to please just answer the question to the best of your ability. lol. No posting links to other forums or other postings, ect.... please. I have read everything I can find on the subject, in fact I have read until my head hurts and my eyes are red, and still my question is not answered. You all do great work posting info for us less informed but sometimes its just a run around. lol PLEASE HELP ME. lol I would like a straight answer from someone if they have it to give.

I own a wonderfull 2005 Neo, name Mean Smurf, and its a he. lol Now Smurf need new shoes and I would greatly appreciate some info for him. Here goes.......

Without any mods, additions, subtractions, or otherwise. What is the largest size shoe that will fit a stock rim and still fit inside the fender on a NEO-RETRO VTX 1800? Without rubbing or throwing off the handling ability of the bike itself?

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
61 Posts
a 200 60 16 MC tire
Not to pick nits, but do you mean CT?

I see that you have a N, are you running a 200/60/16?

I am also an 05 1800N owner (in need of new shoes soon) and have been wondering the exact same thing about a DS tire.

-eSlon

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
Wow, such demands :roll:

You say you have read everything, but you never found an answer? That question is answered almost weekly. What is the largest tire that will fit on my stock rim? 200 bike tire, 205 car tire

The only tire that will be different in handling would be???????? Car tire because it's made to ride flat and not lean in corners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a 200 60 16 MC tire
Great Thanks Yotaman, this helps a ton. thanks again.

largest...205/65-16 CT...will fit without any mods...don

but.....CT's tires handle differently than MT's
Yes that I got from the reading. lol thaks dhandshy. have you any regrets for going darkside?`

I am also an 05 1800N owner (in need of new shoes soon) and have been wondering the exact same thing about a DS tire.

-eSlon
eSlon great bike but then again you already know that. lol I think I've seen your bike before....do you belong to cruisercustomizing.com? Thanks for the assist on this and yes I was talking CT and no, its still stock Dunlop 251. any pointers?

Wow, such demands :roll:

You say you have read everything, but you never found an answer? That question is answered almost weekly. What is the largest tire that will fit on my stock rim? 200 bike tire, 205 car tire

The only tire that will be different in handling would be???????? Car tire because it's made to ride flat and not lean in corners.
Chicago-Spike, I must be blind but most if not all that I have read is for the other models of VTX, and that is normally the F or C. The most answers are also for the 1300. lol A lot of guys and gals forget to be specific when they acknowledge a question such as this. this also means that I really should find out how close the other models are. I know the R is probably the closest with exception of fender but that is about it. Any pointers? Thanks Chicago-Spike.:bowdown:

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
Try searching in only the 1800 tech board for stuff next time, that way you will not have to read about 1300's. The Neo has the same wheel and all models have the same swingarm so what fits on a Retro, will fit on a Neo.

·
Registered
407 Posts
CT

I have an 03 VTX1800R. It sounds like the clearance is the same as the Neo. I put a Goodyear Tripletread 205/60R/16 on it appx. 500 miles ago. I started with 44 lbs of pressure. It had a tendency to come back up straight pretty quick after turns. It wants to stay flat. At 40 PSI I didn't really notice it.
The handling is different. If you are on a road with a lot of irregularities you can feel it move around a little. A road with a pronounced crown will result in having to input a little bit of countersteering as it wants to drift just a little bit to follow the crown. A dirt road with potholes gets a little interesting as it wants to move around a bit. Avoid big potholes.
Play around with the pressures a little to vary the handling. It really responds quite well to countersteering and handles well. I can scrape the floorboards more easily now than before. There is a lot more tread on the ground in a turn than with a regular bike tire, and, when running straight, you have a contact patch 8.5 inches wide.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

-eSlon
No I meant MT I run a 205 60 16 CT myself... I was staying within his parameters

·
Registered
544 Posts
Fondo,

My '04 neo happens to be a female, Victoia, and she went "darkside" a few months ago. I went with a Michelin Hydroedge 205 65 16 and I'm pretty sure you'll not fit a wider tire on the bike w/o mods.

Yotaman, you on the yotatech site also? Do you have a third genration 4runner as well as a Neo gone darkside? If so, that's just scary!

:yikes:

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
the clearances are basically the same for all the models...

you can run a

205/55/16- smaller than stock tire diameter

205/60/16- slightly smaller than stock diameter

205/65/16- slightly larger than stock diameter (may not work with some shorter shocks with loads)

popular tires are the Goodyear Triple Tread, Bridgestone Potenza and Michilen hydroedge seem to be among the most popular. From the info I have seen, stay away from Falken, the sidewalls are flimsier than most tires...

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
eSlon great bike but then again you already know that. lol I think I've seen your bike before....do you belong to cruisercustomizing.com?
Thanks Fondo. I'm quite fond of the 'N' look myself 8) I have joined cruisercustomizing, but just recently with my photos of my new ride (I haven't really even had a chance to ride it yet -- too chilly here for my taste).

My main hesitation with going darkside is finding a place here locally to mount and balance the tire. Probably going to post on the OH board to see if anyone local to Columbus has any recommendations.

-eSlon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Fondo. I'm quite fond of the 'N' look myself 8) I have joined cruisercustomizing, but just recently with my photos of my new ride (I haven't really even had a chance to ride it yet -- too chilly here for my taste).

My main hesitation with going darkside is finding a place here locally to mount and balance the tire. Probably going to post on the OH board to see if anyone local to Columbus has any recommendations.

-eSlon
most places won't mount it for you because of the legality of it. They say that you could sue them if you should have some sort of failure or crash. Find a fellow who has a shop or the correct tools and do it yourself, this is what I was told but I also know a guy who can, will, and is gonna assist me when I go darkside. lol Good luck.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Fondo,

My '04 neo happens to be a female, Victoia, and she went "darkside" a few months ago. I went with a Michelin Hydroedge 205 65 16 and I'm pretty sure you'll not fit a wider tire on the bike w/o mods.

Yotaman, you on the yotatech site also? Do you have a third genration 4runner as well as a Neo gone darkside? If so, that's just scary!

:yikes:
Nope I used to be a Toyota Parts Manager But I do own a 05 Neo that runs on the Darkside

·
Registered
10 Posts
205-60-06 GoodYear Triple Tread, fits no mods, no frills, just about 3 credit cards clearance,no rubs....

·
Registered
197 Posts
looks like you got your answer and so did I. :bowdown:

·
Registered
141 Posts
most places won't mount it for you because of the legality of it. They say that you could sue them if you should have some sort of failure or crash. Find a fellow who has a shop or the correct tools and do it yourself, this is what I was told but I also know a guy who can, will, and is gonna assist me when I go darkside. lol Good luck.

Does anyone know of any chain stores that will do this? Pep Boys, Discount Tire, Walmart....Just kidding I wouldn't let them change my oil.:-?

·
Registered
474 Posts
NTB - National Tire & Battery - mounted my C/T for me...I bought the tire from them.

$80.00 total.

CW

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run a GoodYear Triple Tread 205-60-16 CT on a 2006 1800N, no mods, no clearance problems. I put 3 ounces of DynaBeads in the tire to balance it out. No regrets, no looking back...:cool:

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I am asking for you all to please just answer the question to the best of your ability. lol. No posting links to other forums or other postings, ect.... please. I have read everything I can find on the subject, in fact I have read until my head hurts and my eyes are red, and still my question is not answered. You all do great work posting info for us less informed but sometimes its just a run around. lol PLEASE HELP ME. lol I would like a straight answer from someone if they have it to give.

Obviously not...we have answered that many times on the "other forum".....:thumbup:

..................twin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts