Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1800F Spec 2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought the bike 1 week ago. Bike runs great just has a lot of back firing on deceleration. Trying to program the power commander 3 but the throttle percentage (TPS) is jumping all over the place, I have done all the resetting, and the jumper wire to the TPS ground. Still have to clean the sensor/coil grounds and replace the gator clip for the TPS voltage. Any ideas before completing the above fixes?
I have replaced the oil, clutch and coolant. Anything else I should check as a new owner?

05 VTX1800F2, Power Commander 3, Vance & Hines Big Shots (no baffles), Kuryakyn Pro-R Hypercharger

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
what tune are you using?

you have the same bike as a I do, with a similar setup.. I use Dynojet map 122-058

I have very little decel popping. however I also removed all of the smog crap (did the desmog mod) and I use the Dynojet o2 elimination plugs. so there are no o2 plugs in my pipes.

go here (you have to create an account or use FB to sign in) and download one of their custom maps:

Tunes | Dynojet

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just bought the bike 1 week ago. Bike runs great just has a lot of back firing on deceleration. Trying to program the power commander 3 but the TPS is reading all over the place, I have done all the resetting, and the jumper wire to the TPS ground. Still have to clean the sensor/coil grounds and replace the gator clip for the TPS voltage. Any ideas before completing the above fixes?
I have replaced the oil, clutch and coolant. Anything else I should check as a new owner? View attachment 187917
05 VTX1800F3, Power Commander 3, Vance & Hines Big Shots (no baffles), Kuryakyn Pro-R Hypercharger
Check out this link: Power Commander | Dynojet

I was getting ready to apply this to my bike just before I blew the clutch basket. Now, it sits collecting dust! :(
Actually came out here today to try to find some recommendations, but saw your post and thought this may help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what tune are you using?

you have the same bike as a I do, with a similar setup.. I use Dynojet map 122-058

I have very little decel popping. however I also removed all of the smog crap (did the desmog mod) and I use the Dynojet o2 elimination plugs. so there are no o2 plugs in my pipes.

go here (you have to create an account or use FB to sign in) and download one of their custom maps:

Tunes | Dynojet
Thanks for the reply will check into the smog stuff, I found a tune also its
122-002Retro, Neo & F model - Vance and Hines Bigshots (without baffles) and Kuryakyn Hypercharger
will try yours, but my biggest problem is my throttle percentage it jumps everywhere and nothing I do stops it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
122-002Retro, Neo & F model - Vance and Hines Bigshots (without baffles) and Kuryakyn Hypercharger
will try yours, but my biggest problem is my throttle percentage it jumps everywhere and nothing I do stops it.
I would trace down the wiring, could be a loose connection somewhere between the PC3 and the bike

·
Registered
17 Posts
The link I provided describes this exact behavior. Has to do with disparate grounds, somehow. Check it out and see if you think at applies.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
main reason for back-firing is loose/failed head/pipe gaskets

using aftermarket pipes. you can NOT use the factory acorn nuts

I do not use a re-programmer on my 2005 VTX1800 "F"... since new.. not needed.
K&N large air filter... 96,000 miles

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out this link: Power Commander | Dynojet

I was getting ready to apply this to my bike just before I blew the clutch basket. Now, it sits collecting dust! :(
Actually came out here today to try to find some recommendations, but saw your post and thought this may help!
That link just takes me to dynajet home page, I have re-routed the ground wire and replaced the vampire clip on the voltage line. still all over the place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Radiator popped a hole while riding today, just ordered a new one, maybe throw in a tps sensor so I know its good, will keep posting updates.
LOL: just finished searching for a TPS sensor.....thats not happening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK finally bricked the Power Commander III USB with a firmware update, choice to drop $40 on a low level programmer or $335 on a PC5 and be done with the problems. I choose be done with the problems, no wind therapy here for 3 days for the radiator and power commander 5 to get here and be installed.
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice to try and fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts