Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
17,210 miles

Finished projects last night. Completed and ready to go as soon as the weather cooperates.

• Changed oil - Rotella T6 and Purolator Classic
  • Refreshed Moly Paste in rear splines and lubed axles
  • Air pressure set at 41 PSI
  • Installed Cobra FI2000R tuner - starting out at 2-0-0
  • Gear linkage greased
  • Modified rear license plate mount / tail light setup - LED mini bullets
  • Cleaned / polished whole bike
  • Wheels sanded and polished
  • Brake rotors sanded and polished
  • Fork lowers sanded and polished
  • Replaced rectangle mirrors with rounded OEM

Attachments

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
18,400 mi
Changed oil to Amsoil 10w-40
No offense to anyone here, but I did not like the Rotella. While it may have quieted down the gear box for the first couple hundred miles, it just felt like it was working harder. By the time I changed out the oil, it was clunking into first just like normal.
With the Amsoil, she's running just as smooth as ever.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
19,300 mi
Fork bearings, seals, and fork oil changed
Clutch fluid and brake fluid flushed
Work completed by Mike's Powersports for reasonable $$, but I'm not happy with the work. Bill (tech) dinged up the aluminum fork lowers and the turn signals were re-installed crooked. Mirrors needed re-adjustment and nearly all chrome/aluminum needed to be thoroughly cleaned due to grease, brake fluid, and dirt/grime.
Ride seems rougher than before. I'm skeptical that the internals are reassembled correctly.
*Lesson learned - buy the special tools needed, learn to do this stuff myself, and schedule the time necessary next time.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
20,938 mi (man, what a pathetic amount of miles for the season - da** rain/work/family issues)
Oil filter change only and topped off with Amsoil
Removed Cobra FI2000R
Cleaned and recharged K&N filter

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Question, when did ROTELLA start making oil for MOTORCYCLES?????????????:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:
Shell Rotella T6 is a synthetic that's labeled for diesel engines, but it meets the standards for the wet clutch on the VTX. Many members here on the forum use it, but I wasn't impressed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Making good progress...
New tire, new brake pads, fender support fixed, wiring cleaned up, some cleaning and polishing - all done.
Fork seals and progressive springs installed (gotta get those installed on the bike next)....
Bring on spring!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
To show how I cleaned up the license plate area and rear signals, here comes a bunch of pictures....

After disassembly of the rear fender and support frame, I cut off the lower portion of the frame just above the factory license plate location. The license plate frame was also cut in half so I could re-use the mounting tab. The LED brake light from the factory has a circuit board hanging below the brake light that will be visible through the hole I cut when removing the license plate light mounting area. That black plastic trim cuts very easily with a good carpet knife, just use caution and patience with shallow slow cuts as to focus on keeping them straight and not marring up the plastic.

When removing the factory license plate light housing, I also trimmed the factory black molding to be flush behind the license plate's new location, tucked right under the tail light. Be cautious to allow for the circuit board of the factory LED brake light and its mounting setup. The license plate will mount using the factory bracket (cut in half as shown above) through new holes drilled below the LED brake light bracket.

The new chrome mini bullets - http://www.jpcycles.com/product/214-278 - have a narrow base on them. I filled in this gap with handy dandy rubber furniture bumpers, simply cutting a hole in the center so they act like trim rings.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
More pics...

You can see the gold-ish bolts that are in new holes I drilled for the license plate itself. This section of license plate mounting bracket was cut from the factory bracket. Make it straight and align it so the plate tucks just below the factory brake light and covers the hole in the black plastic trim piece.
The new signals will be wired directly into the factory signal wiring and routed with the rest of the wiring harness under the rear fender.

The rubber furniture pads will fit flush on the black trim ring. They've performed for more than 12 months without fading.

You can see the size difference between the factory signals and these mini bullets. The factory license plate light was replaced with this LED license plate frame - http://www.jpcycles.com/product/340-800 - wired into the factory harness.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Here's the rubber grips that cost me $2 but made the whole mod come together in a finished look.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That really looks nice Nate. I wish i lived closer so you could do that to my bike lol. I'd love to get new signal light housings, but the custom dynamic led bulbs are so fricking bright that I would hate to replace them. For now its the stock housings.

Could you give me a rundown on the rotor polishing. I've read its more difficult than aluminum. What do I need to get this done?

Thanks,
Troy

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
For the front rotors, the centers seemed to be aluminum with a thick coat of clear paint. Once the paint is removed, they polish more easily than the wheels.

Now, the actual brake pad contact portion of the front rotors and the entire rear rotor are solid stainless steel. This stuff is hard to sand/polish. However, it's the same process. Start with a low grit sandpaper and work your way up to fine grit. The finer the grit you use, the better the polish.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
21,700 miles at the time of this service...
Toasted the water pump, so went back to working on her last week.
- New OEM Water Pump and Zerex Asian Motor Antifreeze flush
- Valves adjusted - put them on the tight side of the spec band
- Oil and filter - Amsoil and Purolator PureOne
- Checked and cleaned spark plugs and air filter
- Adjusted Cobra FI2000R to 1/0/0

Results = no antifreeze leaks but the fan kicks on more frequently than with the Engine Ice. Doesn't bug me at all because it doesn't smell hot and doesn't leak.
Bike's running like a scalded dog, back to her ol' wheel standing self. Not to mention the freakin' awesomeness of getting 42 miles per gallon on today's mountain twisties ride! 200+ miles of deep in the power band, peg grinding, grin inducing fun!

For anyone who is in the north Spokane, WA area - I HIGHLY recommend Flower Trail Road that runs between Chewelah, WA and Usk, WA!:pepper1:

Odometer at the end of the ride today... 22,098 miles

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
<< Clip >>
For anyone who is in the north Spokane, WA area - I HIGHLY recommend Flower Trail Road that runs between Chewelah, WA and Usk, WA!:pepper1:

Odometer at the end of the ride today... 22,098 miles
it's not broken in yet :)

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
just turned 75,000 today, from New, 2-2005
this bike has been on ONE Trip.. 1,200 miles over 2 days...
all the miles are Day trips.. mostly Sunday's.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So you've averaged a bit more than 6k miles a year... I'm not horribly behind you as I've averaged a bit less than 5k miles per season since I bought her

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
So you've averaged a bit more than 6k miles a year... I'm not horribly behind you as I've averaged a bit less than 5k miles per season since I bought her
Good for you.. keep up the good work...

my LIFE average . 385,000 over 47 years... = 8,191 miles per year........ >:)
I am slowing down... Some :)

most riders do 3,000 and less.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Fyi, my previous bike
1986 Honda Goldwing SEi..... 19 years and 87,000 miles....
but I also had a 1988 Honda CBR1000F for 12 years and 26,000..
and a full time job :)

both purchased New.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Started the 2018 season at about 24,200 miles. Hit 25k today on my ride into British Columbia.
Already need to order new tires. Rear tire is a Metzeler ME880 sized 200-50r18. That didn't last anywhere close to as long as the 180-55r18. Barely 5k miles it seems.
Lesson learned.
Front tire is a Metzeler ME888 factory size 130-70r18 and has lasted only 10k miles. It's just now on the wear indicator bars.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts