Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I run the Dunlop Elite 3 Rear 200/50R18.. on my third.. I get 17,000 miles per tire.. 40 psi

on the front I also ran the Elite 3.. and same 17,000 per...

but the Front has been replaced with Elite 4... the ride is much better.. no idea on mileage.. installed last Fall...

fyi, my "F" has NEVER been on a road trip.... ALL Local riding..
never been more than 250 miles from home. so longest one day ride = 500 miles.

fyi, I just passed 81,000 miles on my "F"....

this is NOT and apple to apple comparison
I am 66.. disabled. sometimes walk with a cane...
4 back operations, both wrists.. one knee.. but I can still Ride :)

Keep up the Great Work, Riding.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I run the Dunlop Elite 3 Rear 200/50R18.. on my third.. I get 17,000 miles per tire.. 40 psi

on the front I also ran the Elite 3.. and same 17,000 per...

but the Front has been replaced with Elite 4... the ride is much better.. no idea on mileage.. installed last Fall...
Alright, Chuck.... let's see how your preference works out for me. We're of similar size and stature, but I have a feelin I might ride like a hooligan more often than you (although you're far better at it without a question!)
As soon as these current Metzelers die, the Elites go on! I don't like having the bike out of commission, so I order tires as soon as wear bars show, then I press my luck until I know I shouldn't

·
Registered
9,602 Posts

here you go Nate :),,,,, Elite 3,, at 17,000 miles..
left 0/32, center 2/32, right 1/32
200/50R18

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
My HK Sideburners have been getting rough around the edges. Cracked heat shield and light corrosion.
I swapped the pipes to Cobra Angled Slashcut with Thunder Monster baffles yesterday. Also cleaned her up real nice.
I'm hoping for lower volume. Can't wait to test her out!

Reactions: jbrittjr

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Pictures outdoors with the new Cobra Angled Slashcuts...
While I do like the look and like that the volume is a little quieter, I still think the Sideburners gave my bike a more unique and identifiable look. I'll leave it this way for awhile, but we'll see...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
25,600 miles
Time for new shoes!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Since the wheels are off...

Changed final drive gear oil with fresh 75-90 synthetic, wiped out the old moly paste on the splines and added new, and I'm cleaning her up yet again.

Too many people neglect their rear ends and then wonder why bearing problems show up.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Fresh oil and filter, too.

Reactions: jbrittjr

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I still wonder why.. AMSOIL changed there name from years ago...

it used to be spelled AMZOIL... I was a dealer in the 1970's to the 1990's.
and also advertised 12 months and 25,000 mile oil changes... and that is LONG GONE.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
28,000 mark was reached today. That's almost 4k miles for this season so far.
The brake light switch on my handle bars (front brakes) is acting up intermittently. I tried cleaning it and dielectric grease, but still intermittent. No way to pop it open without having to glue it closed again. I'll probably order a new switch and may replace the connectors on the ends of the wires.
Other than that, I've found that I'll get 42-44 MPGs when I find ethanol free fuel. May not be enough of an increase to justify the additional cost, but there's the added benefit of less corrosion causing ethanol and a smoother running bike. I'll keep using this stuff whenever available. I found an app called Pure Gas that maps where I can find ethanol free anywhere in the USA.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Installed a throttle lock last weekend. I'll be trying it out a bit this week, heading to Montana. Gotta stay warm, but I know I'll be wishing for temps like this in just a few short months. Highs will be around low 60s, morning lows in the upper 30s.

I also got some new gloves - TourMaster Polar-Tex 3.0 from Amazon (sale for $74). They better be good, most expensive gloves I've bought.

This trip will put me over the 5k miles mark for the 2018 season. One of the best so far with this bike!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
29,200 miles (5k miles for the 2018 season - not bad considering I parked it at the end of September when Dad died)

Brake and clutch fluid changed. New battery. New incandescent headlight.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Installed my new headlight from www.vtxdaymaker.com today. B3 kit with the adjustable bracket. I love it.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
31,970 miles
Installed a new Stebel Nautilus horn. They were on clearance from Stebel for $25 after shipping. Compressor is behind the left side cover, horn is in front of the rear wheel.

Also cleaned and lubed gear shift linkage.

The Dunlop Elite 3 on the rear is still looking great.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
32,650 mi
Only 3,450 mi this past 2019 season, lowest miles for a summer since I got the bike. Dad's passing has brought more mortality thoughts through my head, making me a little less motivated to ride.
Winter cleaning and polishing. Will change oil/ filter before it hits the road in the spring as well.
Oil was a little low. Coolant fine, but topped off. Clutch and brake fluids still clear-ish.
Dunlop Elites are doing amazing. Plenty of tread left. 7k miles so far on this set.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Thanks for the update Nate,

Sorry for your Loss. I did not know my (f)ather, he ran away when I was 5. mom never replaced him.

the other week, my "F" passed the 90,000 mile mark... "YES" from New , 2/2005.

everyone view "LIFE" differently ... me, I will die when I die. not a minute early or later.
68 years Young, and still riding, 2020... I have started my 51 Year of riding... Fast and Hard.
I am OLD,, but never Slow :)

41 - 60 of 66 Posts