Honda VTX Forum banner

'07 VTX 1800 F3 - My First...

15K views 65 replies 6 participants last post by  chuck_VTX F 
#1 ·
Excellent idea for this forum! It will be nice to have a web based log to track my bike...

Back story: I learned to ride on an old Yamaha Fat Cat. I believe a 350. I absolutely loved it and thank that old farmer friend for letting me learn on his bike by trial and error. I moved on to more difficult terrain and slow speed maneuvering on my dad's Trail 90 through many a hunting season, up on mountain trails. Then went halfies on a 250 Kawasaki dirt bike with a friend in high school. By this time I had 4 or 5 years of riding, mostly on dirt and trails, but I was known to bend the law a bit and get out on the road a few times. Street bike experience began with my brother's Suzuki GS550. After a year of that, I finally took a course and got my endorsement. When my brother sold that bike, it sucked. I finally met some amazing people that had a pair of Honda Shadows, a 750 and an 1100. They constantly let me borrow them and go riding with them. Then the VTX hit the market. Holy Crap! THAT was the bike! All I had to do was finish college and get money. Well, school led to girls, girl led to marriage, marriage led to mortgage and kids.
It's been seven years since I rode a solid season and I've never owned my own street bike. After all this, I've finally been able to get one of those beautiful cruisers! A month ago, I picked up this amazing 2007 VTX 1800 F Spec 3! It had just barely 10,000 miles and I snagged it for $5,500. Bone stock, yes. Obviously ridden in all weather, yes. Well taken care of? Thankfully, yes!

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Cruiser
Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Car Scooter
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Cruiser Motor vehicle

So, starting point:
Aug, 2014 - 10,055 miles - bone stock, oxidized aluminum, only damage is a dimple on the tank and two clear coat gouges on the rear fender

See less See more
#2 ·
Believe you me, after seven years of not riding, I am DEFINITELY respecting this bike and proceeding with caution. It's difficult, mind you, not to twist on that throttle when it's sooo much fun! I've already logged an additional 1200 miles in the last month and my 'spidey sense' is coming back to me quickly. I am sticking to my guns, though, about no passengers and little to no rainy weather riding until next season. I want to be sure I am comfortable with this size of a bike before I take on any more.

Maintenance so far:
Aug 15 - 10,120 mi
  • Oil Change - performed by Mike's Powersports in Spokane Valley, WA (highly recommended by several riders)
  • Full inspection, fluids checked, test ride by tech - also at Mike's
  • All in great working order, clean bill of health

Mike recommended I perform the following maintenance soon:
  • Check the valves for adjustment
  • Coolant, Brake Fluid, Clutch Hydraulic Fluid - all flushed due to no records for service

As I would prefer to pinch pennies and enjoy turning wrenches, I'll likely perform this work myself.

#3 ·
11,300 miles -
New (to me) Mustang Seat, backrest, and passenger seat. Installed solo seat, OEM seat put up for sale.

#4 ·
11,650 miles

• Performed PAIR/desmog mod
  • Removed "Snorkel" and Air Flapper Assy off airbox
  • Installed K&N Air Filter
  • Installed Hard Krome Sideburners Exhaust
  • Installed Kuryakyn Deluxe Master Cylinder Cover Set
  • Installed Kuryakyn Brake Dress Up Kit
  • Installed Show Chrome Swing Arm Covers
  • Prior to re-installing tank, primered and painted underside of tank to stop light surface rust and protect.
  • Found bolts on right side peg mounts bent pretty bad. Won't re-install, need replaced. Picked up some off the shelf bolts to get by, but new chrome ones will be ordered.

#5 ·
After some sparse late season rides, the 1800 was 'winterized' as much as I'm going to do. With a heated garage, this involved simply pulling the battery to go on the Battery Tender and covering her up. She's lifted just off the ground, sitting on a stand under the frame.

I've drained the fuel tank with the intention of removing it along with both fenders, the radiator shroud, and the side covers. I'll be checking out custom paint quotes from some local specialty shops (get that ding in the tank fixed at the same time). Winter project will be stripping off the Sideburners, pegs, brakes, wheels, etc. for a good thorough cleaning and polishing. With the Spec 3, the engine is already black, I've just got to clean up and polish those fins. I'm replacing a cracked turn signal along with anything else I come across that needs work.

I've already got a full Barnett Clutch Kit sitting here ready for install as well. I know the bike hasn't hit 12,000 miles yet, but it sounds like the clutch slips a bit at times. I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be replaced, but I've already got the kit and I've got many weekends available before spring comes around. I'm thinking Amsoil to go back into the system, so I'll have to check on local sources.

I'll take pics as I go, but none of these little projects seem to be ground breaking. Several others here in the VTXOA have already posted very good walk-throughs with pictures (many of which I will be using for reference with my manuals). If anyone really wants to see pics, let me know.

#6 ·
Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Tire Auto part
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Auto part Spoke
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Spoke Wheel
Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Engine
Vehicle Machine Technology Auto part Wheel

Winter Project progress

#7 ·
Whoops...
Yeah, the bug has bitten me and carried me away.
So, my little winter project has exploded. What was supposed to be just a once over, clean, polish, and possibly a clutch replacement has completely exploded.

Big time commitment - filing, sanding, and polishing down the fins on the jugs. My 1800F is a Spec 3, so the engine is already black and the paint looks good, so it's just a matter of filing down the rough machined fins and making 'em shine.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

That's time, now money... Custom paint! All six pieces are getting sprayed. I'm going with a House of Kolor black with "Blueberry" pearl over it. I'm stoked and can't wait to see the result.
Blue Cobalt blue Mouse Automotive design Technology

In the meantime, all fluids are getting changed along with the clutch. Going with Barnett Performance friction plates, steel, and springs.

#8 ·
Holy crap, that was a lot of sanding and polishing.
The fins on the jugs are done. Here's what I ended up doing on the second side of the bike, cutting the time down by quite a bit.
  1. Cleaned with Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner and fine steel wool
  2. Sanded with 150 grit paddle wheel on my Dremel (one wheel handled the whole side)
  3. Sanded with fine grit sanding discs on my Dremel (many discs, probably 15-20, but they're abundant)
  4. Sanded by hand and wrapping paper around a cedar window shim, with 150, 220, 320, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 sand papers (all dry, dust mask was invaluable)
  5. Vacuumed with soft brush (why I didn't wet sand this side - clean up was 100% easier)
  6. Polished with Mother's Aluminum Polish and Dremel with buffing wheel
  7. Polished and sealed with Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream
Start to finish on this side was 5 or 6 hours. The first side was less Dremel work and more by hand, taking 8-9 hours.

Also complete:
  • Barnett Clutch Kit installed
  • New oil and filter (Mobil1 4T)
  • Front and rear wheels removed, buffed and polished, and re-installed (probably should have sanded them down because of pitting, but dang...)
  • Wiped out old and added new Honda 60 Moly Paste to rear splines. Used on both axles as well.
  • New pad pins and o-rings on the front calipers
  • Replaced right front turn signal (cracked housing - salvaged lens, reflector, bulb, wiring)
  • Sanded, primed, and painted the rear peg mounts and front peg mounts due to peeling paint and rust
  • Replaced the right front peg mount bolts with new OEM chrome bolts
  • Cleaned the entire bike, front to rear, with Original Bike Spirits - touching up paint or polishing chrome/aluminum where needed
  • "Chrome" painted the screen on the radiator cowl
  • Installed Show Chrome drive shaft cover
  • Custom paint by Kre-8 in Spokane, WA. Josh did amazing work and is highly recommended!

#9 ·
Completed (11,730 mi):

• Installed Kury ISO Grips
  • Inspected valves and light adjusting
  • Flushed coolant - new "Engine Ice"
  • Flushed hydraulic clutch fluid
  • Flushed front and rear brake fluid
  • Changed rear drive oil
  • Completed Starter Button maintenance
  • Cleaned all contacts and refreshed dielectric grease on all switches on both sides of handlebars
  • Ground Fix and sealed with red battery terminal grease
  • Cleaned battery posts, installed Battery Tender leads, sealed with red battery terminal grease
  • Replaced spark plugs
  • Installed HID kit from NDAna
  • Installed Kuryakyn Forward Control Extension Kit #4590 (2" forward)

#10 ·
While re-assembling my bike now that all my projects are done... I came across a flaw in my paint! :banghead:

The tank had to come back off (thank goodness I hadn't put any fuel in it yet!).
Back to some more wet sanding and re-buffing. I'm hoping it doesn't need to be re-cleared.
Automotive exterior Vehicle Vehicle door Trunk Bumper

#11 ·
No such luck - seems like something contaminated the base coat. Tank's getting re-sprayed.

On the bright side, I'm switching to custom painted logos on the tank. I'll post a pic when it's done!

#13 ·
I right there with you on the excitement of getting a "new" 2007 VTX 1800 F3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261761822863?_trksid=p2060778.m570.l5014&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI261761822863.N29.S2.M-4662.R2.TR2

I picked it up for 6500 and its currently being shipped back home. Unfortunately, I can't see it till I get home on April 28th ;(

~Troy
Beautiful bike, Troy! Congrats on the great find and beautiful bike! You've already got a lot of great upgrades on the bike making that price amazing!

#15 ·
Finally got everything put back together! It's been a long off-season and I definitely made the most of it. Lots of mods, lots of maintenance, and lots of cleaning/polishing.

Bring on the sunny days and spring weather!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#16 ·
13,900 miles

Valve noise encouraged me to check the oil, sitting on the low mark. Topped off oil.

Installed Kuryakyn chrome swingarm cover (exhaust side).

Increased decel popping encouraged me to remove and inspect the exhaust. Home-made baffles have disintegrated and disappeared. Installed new copper gaskets and decel popping improved noticeably.

Headlight began tweaking out with the issue obviously in the high/low switch. Took the switch apart and found some of the black plastic of the switch broken off and another spot cracked. Super glue and ******* engineering got the switch cleaned, greased, re-assembled and working.

Fuel mileage is ranging from 37.5 mpg to 39 mpg. The last day long ride (sustained 55-65 mph on highways for majority of the tanks) provided 44.5 mpg.

#17 ·
15,300 miles

After having a LEO harass me about my pipes, I went ahead and installed a Smartpartz Hard Kore Quiet Baffle on my HK Sideburners. Very noticeable difference, but maintained the deep sound. After the reviews talking about the screws not holding, I didn't even risk it and I simply welded it in.

Exhaust decel popping is still present, I have a Cobra FI2000R that I will be installing when I get around to it.

#18 ·
15,500 miles

Pulled and inspected/cleaned plugs. Signs of slightly lean/too hot on the two close plugs. Good to go on the two far plugs.

Ordered new Metzeler ME 880 Marathon 180/55ZR-18 for the rear (paid $197.99), ME 888 Marathon Ultra 130/70R-18 H for the front ($161.99) from Motorcycle Superstore with free shipping. "Tire sale" pricing. Installation will wait till my current rear tire is toast. Will use Ride-On again.

#19 ·
16,130 miles

New Metzlers installed front and rear. 41 psi front and rear per sidewalls.
Brake pads look good, bearings are smooth, drive flange looks good, wiped out old and reapplied new Moly Paste, new Ride-On.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Winter projects in full swing

• Tins are off the bike - consulting with my paint guy about the scratches from my pine needle and gravel affair.
  • Wheels are off and beginning the sanding/polishing effort to remove all machining marks and get the aluminum to a mirror shine - pretty deep pitting, so I've started with rough sandpaper. This will take awhile.
  • Mirrors swapped to the rounded version - rectangles passed on to fellow VTX rider
  • Rear fender disassembled - I'm designing a new clean up of the tail end without losing the factory brake light. I actually like that light but the rest is so bulky. Mini bullet signals are on their way and I'm working on a license plate mount that will allow future disassembly if needed. Pics will come.

To Do list:

• Oil/Filter (going to try out the Shell Rotella this time)
  • Full clean and polish of the rest of the bike
  • Sanding / polishing fork lowers, brake discs, and possibly brake calipers
  • POSSIBLY change out the fork oil - still handles great, I don't have the tool, and I'm worried I won't get everything done before riding weather

#21 ·
17,210 miles

Finished projects last night. Completed and ready to go as soon as the weather cooperates.

• Changed oil - Rotella T6 and Purolator Classic
  • Refreshed Moly Paste in rear splines and lubed axles
  • Air pressure set at 41 PSI
  • Installed Cobra FI2000R tuner - starting out at 2-0-0
  • Gear linkage greased
  • Modified rear license plate mount / tail light setup - LED mini bullets
  • Cleaned / polished whole bike
  • Wheels sanded and polished
  • Brake rotors sanded and polished
  • Fork lowers sanded and polished
  • Replaced rectangle mirrors with rounded OEM

Attachments

#22 ·
18,400 mi
Changed oil to Amsoil 10w-40
No offense to anyone here, but I did not like the Rotella. While it may have quieted down the gear box for the first couple hundred miles, it just felt like it was working harder. By the time I changed out the oil, it was clunking into first just like normal.
With the Amsoil, she's running just as smooth as ever.

#23 ·
19,300 mi
Fork bearings, seals, and fork oil changed
Clutch fluid and brake fluid flushed
Work completed by Mike's Powersports for reasonable $$, but I'm not happy with the work. Bill (tech) dinged up the aluminum fork lowers and the turn signals were re-installed crooked. Mirrors needed re-adjustment and nearly all chrome/aluminum needed to be thoroughly cleaned due to grease, brake fluid, and dirt/grime.
Ride seems rougher than before. I'm skeptical that the internals are reassembled correctly.
*Lesson learned - buy the special tools needed, learn to do this stuff myself, and schedule the time necessary next time.

#24 ·
20,938 mi (man, what a pathetic amount of miles for the season - da** rain/work/family issues)
Oil filter change only and topped off with Amsoil
Removed Cobra FI2000R
Cleaned and recharged K&N filter

#26 ·
Question, when did ROTELLA start making oil for MOTORCYCLES?????????????:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:
Shell Rotella T6 is a synthetic that's labeled for diesel engines, but it meets the standards for the wet clutch on the VTX. Many members here on the forum use it, but I wasn't impressed.

#27 ·
Making good progress...
New tire, new brake pads, fender support fixed, wiring cleaned up, some cleaning and polishing - all done.
Fork seals and progressive springs installed (gotta get those installed on the bike next)....
Bring on spring!

Reactions: StarrRider
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.