Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
e said:
not that it was the cagers fault, but i would have smoked my tires and swerved hard to avoid running over bike/biker.

cager in the video barely broke momentum. kept on going.

that's what i'm usually thinking about on the superslab.

"how many cagers will over me if I go down right now"

answer:

all of them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Well, here's the thing...

The cager was moving at a high rate of speed.

He was following too close behind the van.

He had a maximum of one second to see, inturpret, and react to the fact that he had a motorcycle and a body sliding into his path.

Most people can't react that fast.

·
Registered
265 Posts
EricR1970 said:
Another reason motorcycles and idiocy don't mix. Everytime I see a video like this, I think about Darwin's "natural selection". This is nature's way of weeding out the gene pool for the rest of us, ensuring survival of the species. Stupid hurts!

And tsk tsk. He ruined a perfectly good motorcyle! :twisted:
Yep. Darwin was right...............

·
Registered
470 Posts
e said:
not that it was the cagers fault, but i would have smoked my tires and swerved hard to avoid running over bike/biker.

cager in the video barely broke momentum. kept on going.

that's what i'm usually thinking about on the superslab.

"how many cagers will over me if I go down right now"

answer:

all of them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
what you say is true but there are a few that watch for motorcycles and big trucks too my hubby is a truck driver and rides a bike so i am very cautious around them but oyu are right there are not many left

·
Registered
756 Posts
Crotch rockets...God's way of weeding out the stupid!!

George

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I actually saw this on some "I'm alive" show.
they were doing a street race course and I believe it was in Europe. The rider did survive and managed to walk away to the ambulance that was called.
they showed the accident in slow mo and then did a Computer animation to show what happened.
The front right tire ran over his helmet and jumped the front of the car up, then bike then slid under the car and when the car came down on the bike it bounce up and the rider went UNDER the rear wheel while it was in the air.

I remember this because I was watching TV with the wife, RIGHT AFTER I GOT THE X!!! There was like three "I'm lucky to be alive" segments relating to morotcycles. She just looked at me and said, "Don't be stupid!" and got up and walked out.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Re: Video

SeaRay88 said:
I would like to know how the heck was this taped? Did someone think they was being a smarty and say, "hey, watch this"??? 8)
Could have been a TV station traffic-cam set up for a broad area and they could have edited out the superflous background, effectively zooming in in the accident scene.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
gpettit said:

George
Wonderfull stereotype, specially coming from a beer soaked cruiser rider. By the way, the mid 40's drunk cruiser riders are dying faster than the young sportbike guys..... Either way you are right, it is weeding out the stupid...

·
Registered
756 Posts
black hills said:
gpettit said:

George
Wonderfull stereotype, specially coming from a beer soaked cruiser rider. By the way, the mid 40's drunk cruiser riders are dying faster than the young sportbike guys..... Either way you are right, it is weeding out the stupid...
I don't know about beer-soaked cruiser riders, but the last stoppie contest I saw a video of didn't include even one cruiser.

George

·
Registered
898 Posts
black hills said:
gpettit said:

George
While that is true, there is a truth behind th truth...

First of all, Cruisers are more popular by far than sportbikes, for obvious reasons.

Second of all, the majority of people dying on cruisers have minimal experience, and so don't know when they are getting themselves in trouble. THe sportbike riders on the other hand spend considerable time and effort learning to do things that are inherently highly dangerous.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of injuries and fatalities based on type of bike.

I am willing to bet that dirtbikes are more dangerous that sportbikes or cruisers.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Seabear70 said:
black hills said:
gpettit said:

George

First of all, Cruisers are more popular by far than sportbikes, for obvious reasons.

Second of all, the majority of people dying on cruisers have minimal experience, and so don't know when they are getting themselves in trouble. THe sportbike riders on the other hand spend considerable time and effort learning to do things that are inherently highly dangerous.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of injuries and fatalities based on type of bike.

I am willing to bet that dirtbikes are more dangerous that sportbikes or cruisers.
Dirt bikes aren't that dangerous. First of all, almost EVERYONE who rides a Dirt-bike is protected to the maximum. Secondly, it's cars that kill people. When you go down with a dirt-bike, sure you get hurt, but very, very seldom is anyone ever killed. Third dirt-bikes are light. They weigh like 250 lbs wet. If you go down, and are wearing leathers, no biggie. Now lay a 800 lb. Cruiser down on your leg and see what happens.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Seabear70 said:
black hills said:
gpettit said:

George

It's really not much of an argument. It's similar to comparing the number of fatalities and injuries from accidents between sport cruisers and SUVs.

Part of the reason there are more fatalities and injuries on sports bikes is because of the type of personalities that are attracted to them: young, reckless, adrenaline junkies, kids that don't recognize their own mortality, foolish types of people that just do foolish things.

I learned how to ride motorcycles on a crotch rocket, and yes, I did some pretty foolish things on it. I'm older and wiser now, and am lucky enough to have lived to get to be older and wiser. There are still some things I love about sports bikes that my VTX will never be able to provide, like the thrill of being able to turn a corner with my knee inches from the ground, or launching to a buck-fifty at 10,000 rpms and not hitting top end before I run out of straightaway.

But hell. I look a whole lot cooler riding my X. And the chicks dig it.

The bottom line is that any motorcycle is inherently dangerous, just like a chainsaw, or a shotgun.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
e said:
Jeezez Mr. Incredible. That must have been a hellish time.

I hope things are better for ya.

e

Yep, I'm doing fine. Can't ride crotch rockets anymore as the riding position hurts a lot, so I got the X. I work out everyday and have most of my strength back in my leg, my hip and pelvic area hurt in cold weather but such is life.

Getting married in August, so we will see if the rest of me works then...

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
gpettit said:
black hills said:
gpettit said:

George
I don't know about beer-soaked cruiser riders, but the last stoppie contest I saw a video of didn't include even one cruiser.

George
I guess it's just what you are exposed too. Not a single sportbike rider I know participates in stoppie contests? although most ride fairly fast with an occasional wheelie for good measure. On the other hand 90% of the cruiser riders I know drink and ride?? Either way it's Darwin at work....

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
EricR1970 said:
Part of the reason there are more fatalities and injuries on sports bikes is because of the type of personalities that are attracted to them: young, reckless, adrenaline junkies, kids that don't recognize their own mortality, foolish types of people that just do foolish things.

The bottom line is that any motorcycle is inherently dangerous, just like a chainsaw, or a shotgun.
Actually there are more fatalities on cruisers. But, you hear more about the sportbike deaths because they are more spectacular. sport bike deaths are usually very high speed, high impact, destructive crashes. they make great headlines and news footage. Cruiser accidents are more likely to be a small article in the back of the paper about poor Joe who went of a curve at 40mph and whacked his un-helmeted head on a rock. Of course the 6 beers he had at the local watering hole had nothing to do with it? sometimes "you got to lay it down". They both end up with the same results and we could argue till we're blue in the face about which one is dumber, or who "deserved it".

As far as the rest of the discussion, all I can go on is my experiences. I have broken more bones on a dirtbike. I have only needed the ambulance once, on a streetbike. I know of 2 local guys killed on dirtbikes (one was only 10). I know of one guy killed on a sportbike, and 2 on cruisers. I think the type of rider makes more difference than the type of bike. Of course this is just my opinion, and I'm sure someone more enlightened will be able to point out the error of my thinking??

·
Registered
153 Posts
black hills said:
EricR1970 said:

Actually there are more fatalities on cruisers...

I'd like to know what your source is for this ...

I'd wager that if in fact this is a fact, that it's only true because there are more sports cruisers on the streets than sports bikes.

I'd also wager that if you compared the *percentages* of fatalities between cruisers and crotch-rockets you'd find that it's higher percentage for sports bikes than for cruisers.

Just a hunch.

Edit: It also sounds like you're saying that people who ride cruisers are more reckless than those who ride sports bikes as witnessed by the fact that you claim more people are killed on cruisers. Is that your position?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts