Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else try to avoid this or is there no harm in 10%ethanol added........I always tried to put shell gas in the X, but lately it seems that they are higher in price than everyone else so I went to another station and there it said 10% ethanol added and wondered if it would cause any damage over long term use

x2c

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Almost every station around this area has ethenol. I've run it many times, never had a single problem. This includes my bike, quads, hot rods, trucks, etc.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
According to the handy dandy Honda owners manual, you can use up to 10% ethanol or 5% methanol.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I use it in everything I have, tractors, lawnmowers,cars, trucks, and also the Wing and X. It is 10 cents per gallon cheaper, but is an 89 octane here in Iowa, from my reading here on the Tech board 87 is what the X is spec-ed for, I have been wondering the same thing, whether I should pay the extra 10 cents or move to the 87 octane,,

·
Registered
794 Posts
I never noticed a problem until I get 90 or more octane. Living in corn country 10% ethanol is .13 cheaper a gallon here. Even with the higher octane the only problem I noticed was reduced gas milage.

·
Super Moderator
63,884 Posts
Illinois has had this stuff for over 15 years, none of my vehicles/lawn mowers/snowblowers have and problems. 8)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Memory

I forgot, I have a 1300R.
Now thats a REALLY bad memory. I bet it was a surprise when you went into the garage huh? :shock:

Ok, joke!

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
It's good for the engine and injectors. It has better detergent properties than straight gasoline and will reduce carbon deposits. It helps keep your injectors clean and it's cheaper by a long shot. I use it in everything (except for my diesel of course)

I'm even doing research on using Biodiesel in my truck (trying to find a supplier and tank) Better lubicity, better detergent properties and near zero emmissions, similar power output, renewable... seems silly not to use it. They even have E85 in Nebraska (85% ethanol) but you have to do a couple of mods to your car to run it. I can't wait until everything runs on ethanol personally, then we can finally say :cus: you to all those foreign oil suppliers! :wink:

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
RobDogg said:
It's good for the engine and injectors. It has better detergent properties than straight gasoline and will reduce carbon deposits. It helps keep your injectors clean and it's cheaper by a long shot. I use it in everything (except for my diesel of course)

I'm even doing research on using Biodiesel in my truck (trying to find a supplier and tank) Better lubicity, better detergent properties and near zero emmissions, similar power output, renewable... seems silly not to use it. They even have E85 in Nebraska (85% ethanol) but you have to do a couple of mods to your car to run it. I can't wait until everything runs on ethanol personally, then we can finally say :cus: you to all those foreign oil suppliers! :wink:
A bit of trivia... Did you know the first diesel engines designed by mr. (can't remember his first name) diesel (from germany) were designed to run on bio-diesel. a while later he was found dead (insert petroleum company conspiracy theory here) and the design was slightly modified to run on petroleum diesel. So Bio-diesel has been around a lot longer than people think. Also electric cars were first used 100 years ago.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
http://www.hempcar.org/diesel.shtml

DuPont, Mellon, and Hearst:

[Rudolf] Diesel expected that his engine would be powered by vegetable oils (including hemp) and seed oils. At the 1900 World's Fair, Diesel ran his engines on peanut oil. Later, George Schlichten invented a hemp 'decorticating' machine that stood poised to revolutionize paper making. Henry Ford demonstrated that cars can be made of, and run on, hemp. Evidence suggests a special-interest group that included the DuPont petrochemical company, Secretary of the Treasury Andrew Mellon (Dupont's major financial backer), and the newspaper man William Randolph Hearst mounted a yellow journalism campaign against hemp. Hearst deliberately confused psychoactive marijuana with industrial hemp, one of humankind's oldest and most useful resources. DuPont and Hearst were heavily invested in timber and petroleum resources, and saw hemp as a threat to their empires. Petroleum companies also knew that petroleum emits noxious, toxic byproducts when incompletely burned, as in an auto engine. Pollution was important to Diesel and he saw his engine as a solution to the inefficient, highly polluting engines of his time. In 1937 DuPont, Mellen and Hearst were able to push a "marijuana" prohibition bill through Congress in less than three months, which destroyed the domestic hemp industry.

A Mystery:

Diesel died under mysterious circumstances in 1913, vanishing during an overnight crossing of the English Channel on the mail steamer Dresden from Antwerp to Harwich. Diesel's death might have been suicide, accidental or an assassination. Proponents of the assassination theory point out that shortly after Diesel's death, a diesel-powered German submarine fleet became the scourge of the seas. Diesel had been friendly to France, Britain and the United States.

·
Registered
540 Posts
RobDogg said:
I can't wait until everything runs on ethanol personally, then we can finally say :cus: you to all those foreign oil suppliers! :wink:
It currently takes more energy to create ethanol than the ethanol provides itself. Ethanol isn't a natural resource like oil - it must be created, and to create it takes energy. Catch-22.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
jdfischer said:
It currently takes more energy to create ethanol than the ethanol provides itself. Ethanol isn't a natural resource like oil - it must be created, and to create it takes energy. Catch-22.
Very true, but at one time gasoline was in the same situation, but as refining processes were improved and perfected that changed. I believe (although not necessarily a fact) that ethanol will eventually follow the same path. Oil is a limited resource, eventually we'll run out and there won't be any choice.

But I really should have said, I can't wait until everything runs on Biodiesel. It's easy to manufacture, so easy you can make it in a bucket in your back yard. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
63,884 Posts
black hills said:
[quote="Chicago-Spike":1ivpjrz4]Geee Mr. Wizzard, please tell us more :D
OK.. maybe I have been watching too much Discovery/learning/history channel.[/quote:1ivpjrz4]
I was only kidding around, I like learning new stuff 8)

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
jdfischer said:
RobDogg said:
I can't wait until everything runs on ethanol personally, then we can finally say :cus: you to all those foreign oil suppliers! :wink:
Not so. Corn-based ethanol in the US costs between $1.00 to $1.25 per gallon to produce, depending up the size of the plant and the process used. (Detailed analysis of corn ethanol costs available from Kansas State University.)
http://www.greencarcongress.com/ethanol/index.html

Other facts about ethanol here... http://www.iowacorn.org/ethanol/ethanol_3a.html

1 - 20 of 28 Posts