Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at trailers, Big Tex, and they make a 10' single axle utility and a 12'.
The 1800 is 97" in length. Thats 8.08' in length. I'm sure the R is longer than the C with the rear fender, so maybe add a couple inches.
The 10' trailer seems long enough. Is there any reason not to get the 10'?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It will fit not problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
990 Posts
Get the biggest for your back pocket. You'll probally haul other items than the R. I had a 16' one for my construction business, hauled some items 18' long....made out OK ,just 2' off the back.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have a 6'x12' AL trailer. It gives you better options for mounting a chock taking into account tongue weight. I think, if you have the space for a bigger trailer, go for it.

Here is my utility trailer for some ideas. Condor wheel chock, and I added 8 recessed anchors (5k rating per anchor):

Trailer:

Condor Wheel Chock (quick removable)

Chock bracing under the trailer:

Chock removed, for an almost flat deck:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jpt, thanks a lot. That's a really nice trailer. I have not come across an aluminum one just steel. What brand is that and what model if you remember? Good point about room for the chalk for the front wheel, I agree with you on that. In fact want to sell that trailer? :)

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
I have an enlcosed 12' trailer set up for my bike, using a Condor chock setup like the one JPT shows above, with it's mounting and the floor itself reinforced. I set it up in anticipation for going across the Country after I retired with my wife, and riding when the mood struck me. Sadly I wasn't able to make the trip. But it's nice having the trailer ready to go should we be able to take off down the road, pun intended.

Don't buy your trailer sight unseen. Bring a tape measure. The measurements of trailers are not standardized, some may include all or parts of the tongue structure in their stated 'length'. Much like a 55" TV or monitor is not necessarily actually 55" in any direction.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Jpt, thanks a lot. That's a really nice trailer. I have not come across an aluminum one just steel. What brand is that and what model if you remember? Good point about room for the chalk for the front wheel, I agree with you on that. In fact want to sell that trailer? :)
I got my trailer at Lowes. I don't see my single axle version, but here is a link to carry-on. I added the optional spare tire mount, and extra wheel.
6X12AGW (carry-ontrailer.com)

I spent a lot of money on this, because I needed to be able to pull it into my backyard. When the grass is thick, anything but AL in this size is WAY to heavy. I used to have a 4x8 steel trailer, this trailer is actually lighter than the 4x8. If I didn't need to be able to pull the trailer under my own power, I would have gotten an enclosed trailer.

I had my local guy do some work, he reinforced the ramp, and added a plate mount to the gate. You can see in the picture below, there are way more AL bars, and the plate on the folded down gate.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you have space and the money for a 12ft trailer then that's what I would go for. Remember that it's not always going to be just the bike in the trailer. You might have coolers and tents or any number of other things that you want to bring with you on your trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts