Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone heard of a jug/piston kit that supposedly increases 1300cc bike to 100 hp? it would have rods, crank, cam, etc. total displacement, unknown. this could be just another vtx urban(e) legend! that sure would be some sleeper, huh? 'specially with stock pipes!
also, i must agree with a previous post.....this is the best behaved group i have ever encountered! thanks all!
ps working on pic post.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Kit

Haven't heard of such a kit as of yet.
I did see a post some time back. The person stated that he
was working with a company on cam grinds, and how they could be optimized for the bike.

Haven't seen any thing else on it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
well not sure of a kit but i'm workin on deal with someone to do a custom kit, no more info till mine's the first :twisted:

·
Registered
874 Posts
$$$$$$

I think for the money, anyone can get the big bore kit done. The problem is the money. Right now, I'm positive the costs of getting up around 100 hp would be way out of reach as opposed to buying an 1800. Give the companies time though...

·
Registered
332 Posts
even with a big bore kit you aren't hitting 100hp imho. Although it would be funny to see a 1300 with that much hp. I think you'd have to change a lot of things and get it tuned perfectly. Not out of the question though. I was looking into having coatings put inside the engine as well. One of my instructors at school has done it and says by doing that alone you can get a good hp increase. I hope someone comes up with some cool stuff, I love the idea of getting a good amount of hp.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I disagree with you INK i think it is entirely possible to reach the triple digit mark with our block. Of course i won't be able to prove it till about december but stay tuned. Seriously though I had a 1200cc buell with 110 rwhp. so I feel very strongly that i can obtain 100 rwhp with the X. Not saying some boring or porting won't occur just that i really think it's possible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
110 HP on the Buell was achieved on a much higher revving engine. Take a lot of work to get an X to up there. I work with a guy who rebuilds HD engines, and his twin cam 88 (1450 cc) has 90+ HP, but he runs it at 13:1 compression. Only other option is then to rev higher, which will take some good head work, balancing, etc. Def will be cool to see the first guy to break the 100 HP mark though.

·
Registered
572 Posts
miller644 said:
110 HP on the Buell was achieved on a much higher revving engine. Take a lot of work to get an X to up there. I work with a guy who rebuilds HD engines, and his twin cam 88 (1450 cc) has 90+ HP, but he runs it at 13:1 compression. Only other option is then to rev higher, which will take some good head work, balancing, etc. Def will be cool to see the first guy to break the 100 HP mark though.

Guess u never rode an early model buell mine was a 99 she redlined at 7000 rpm but at that point the hp was taking a nose dive, I had her dyno'd actually my power came between idle and 5500 rpm. I don't have a tach on my X but i'm sure she redlines in roughly the same area. All my buelly had was a cam, high flow heads,dual spark heads, Matched intake re mapped FI system exhaust, high spark ignition,and a filter kit. And from what i've experienced the higher compression doesn't give you HUGE increases in power more like 5 maybe 7 hp. I'm still working out HP details on the X but i feel extremly confident that 100 hp is not an ureasonable mark.

·
Registered
874 Posts
although...

I bet the 70-90 hp mark would be awesome too, and might be easier. 100 is an awesome mark though. It was always my goal to have the 1300 modded out to outrun an 1800.. :) I just don't have the money to pay for boring, new pistons, new cams, porting, etc... BTW, I was told a Mikuni flatside carb could help performance on our machines. $500.00 just for that though...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Kuryakyn is getting into the V-Twin performance business. The guy heading up the department is a drag racing guru. Took a stock 88 inch Harley from 58 hp to 120 hp. They were featured on Corbin's Ride On recently and stated they would be working with Metric Bikes as well as Harley's. Hopefully, they'll attack the 1300 VTX due to it's better sound than the dual pin 1800. However, I wouldn't expect anything for our bikes for at least two years. You can bet they'll go after the much larger Harley market first.

·
Registered
874 Posts
somebody...

then somebody needs to take hold of the market, and "out market" the K-team. It can be done, just with some capital and R&D....

·
Registered
332 Posts
Great info Clayton. It's good to know someone's thinking about us :)
I've been exploring some options but I'm not sure I'm ready to take my engine apart yet. That's the problem when you only have one bike :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey guys,

It's not the horsepower you feel the need to increase here. It's the torque! Torque is the real measure of a hipo motors aptitude, hp being a nice number to brag about but not the number one telltale of an engines performance.

But you all knew that, right? :oops:

My Kawasaki 900 circa 1975 advertised 65 horses at the crank. In all reality that was probably at the rear wheel. Ninja 600's advertise more than that old Z1 did in horses but not torque. I later dropped a 1150 piston\rings and liner kit with cams and kerker 4 into 1 header, 29mm smoothbore carbs\k and N air filters and a martek 440 electronic ign.

The beast had so much compression, I couldn't turn it over with the stock electric starter, so I removed it and kick started there after. That moto dyno'd at 125 ponies with 70 ft. lbs of torque. It ruled the hiways and biways of San Diego county until I finally sold it to a drooling Kawasaki dealer who probably got killed on it. As any oldtimer can tell ya, the engine tech advanced a lot faster than frame and suspension tech back then. Talk about a scary ride! lol.

Anyways,
Look for torque increases, forget the horsepower numbers. Unless you can figure a way to get our motor to redline around 4k higher than it does, hp is an empty measurement. What you feel when you ride a moto like the vtx is all torque. More torque equals more pull, and when you get a wide torque band, you get a powerful yet tractable motorcycle. HP is measured at it's peak and that is a very thin spot on your rpm scale, you wouldn't want to live there if you could. :shock:

btw: The cheapest way to a hundred if anyone is still listening, is of course a supercharger. No need to wait for R and D or corporate types to get around to our bike. They make em for Harleys and it would just be a matter of fitting up the custom headers and making sure you selected the right size.

:oops: I just realized that you would also have to figure out how to drive the compressor, a advantage the Turbo has over the Super is of course that its self driven by exhaust gas. Turbo lag on a bike sucks, no pun intended.

Some things to think about, power wise, anyways. :wink:

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
StormRider said:
For the amount of money involved, why not just get a 1800?
Don't want a FI system maybe. I would rather mod mine out than have an 1800. There are many things I don't like about the 1800. Weight is another thing. Heck, why not do it just so you can say you did?

·
Registered
572 Posts
StormRider said:
For the amount of money involved, why not just get a 1800?
many reasons for that one is i dont' like to dual pin crank another is I really really don't like the radiator on the 1800 yet another that link brake system sucks!!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts