Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys hope I didn't screw up.

I did a spur of the moment ride yesterday to try to get my Saddle Sore certification.

I thought my mileage started when I had my witness sign that I started my ride. I rode 35 miles after my witness signed and gassed up and got a dated timed receipt. On the way home I stopped at the same station and got a dated timed receipt then another 35 miles home.

I rode a total of 1025 miles from where my witness signed both the starting and ending time.

Hopefully all of these miles count towards the ride and not just the ones after I gassed up, as I will come up short if that is the case.

Oh, well if it is reason for rejection by the IBA I still had a great ride. Out to the Badlands and Black Hills of SD. Took a little over 17 hours and I felt pretty good when I got home. Throttle hand was sore and a little tired but overall felt pretty good.

If someone can answer my question I would appreciate it, as there is no sense in turning it in to the IBA if I know in advance it will be rejected.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think they may not certify you since your starting point is usually your first fuel stop. You my want to ask the question over on the iron butt forum under the potential new members section. It would suck to wait so long for the ride to get reviewed and THEN find out it's a no go.

Post a resonse on her when you find out, as I'd like to know what they decide to do.

George

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
George I finally did find the IBA future members forum.

Think maybe the heat fried my brain yesterday.

Fred :oops:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Oh, sorry about that, I should have posted a link to it when I referenced it. :oops:

My brain is slightly fried as well even though I only rode my bike about 5 miles yesterday I did take a 10 mile canoe trip with my wife :D

George

·
Registered
524 Posts
Heya Fred,

What a wonderful ride! You should post a longer report with more details. Did you do a circle or an out an back? Did you experience any issues along the way? Looks like you had a great average speed (60+ MPH). Did you earn any "performance awards" or visit with any LEOs?

I'm guessing you didn't have a throttle-lock since you said your hand was sore. Any other comfort issues?

Did you ride directly from your witness to the gas station on the outbound and do the same on the return home? If so, you might be able to included a rationale for this (i.e., that was the nearest stop with a time/date receipt?) in your applicaiton. On a SS1K I suspect the verification team can be persuaded that you covered the distance. I would make sure I included a letter from of explanation and a support letter from your witness with the application.

However, I see a more serious issue in the mileage you traveled. One of the problems with the VTX (and perhaps other Hondas) is the odometer has a positive bias or distortion. It exaggerates how far you've traveled.

On my 1800C the odo has about a 2% positive bias. So, on IBA rides I have to adjust the mileage. I do that by multiplying the distance covered by 0.986. I also use a GPS and a mapping software program to double-check my distance.

The 1025, if it's your odo reading, looks like it will qualify at about 1011 miles.

You'll need to make a map for your ride based on your start location and receipts. Maybe should consider doing that with Street & Trips, MapSource, or GoogleMaps to more accurately clarify the distance you traveled.

Jim

·
Registered
759 Posts
Even worse being a 1300C. My 2005 1300C shows almost 8% more miles than reality and my speedo runs exactly 10% faster than I'm really going.

MY SS1000 ride to be completed as soon as the temps drop down to a more comfy daytime high (95 is too hot for all day riding for me) is going to be a mapquest/MS streets trip verified at 1026miles. Prior planning plays a big role in this stuff.

George

P.S. Any news yet from the ironbutt forum?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I never realized how far off the 1300 speedo really was until I rode with several friend to lunch last month. The 1300s took the lead and I struggled to make my 1800 go that slow!

At a gas stop, I asked the leader why we were going right at, if not below, the speed limit. The response was "What?!? My wife has been fussin' the whole way down because I was running so fast over the speed limit."

I have a couple of GPS units on my bike so I explained what I'd observed and offered to lead and set the group dead on the speed limit. Needless to say, I think we all learned something that day.

BTW: There's a good source for reman'd Garmin StreetPilot 2610 with MapSource 8 for $200. Would cost about another $100 to get all the mounts and hardwire kit to put it on the bike. I run one and love it!

Jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim, been awhile getting back on the board. Been working late.

My reasoning was that I should have a receipt where I turned onto the interstate and if I went the other route I wouldn't have been able to do that. I thought the witness confirmed your odometer reading when you left. I went straight from home to the station where I turned onto the interstate, which was 35 miles from home. No stops in between and my wife signed the form and start time etc. When I returned I stopped at the same station and got a receipt and then rode directly home. My wife, granddaughter and her boyfriend were here when I got home.

I have a 2004 1300 C with an Ultimate Midrider seat, Leatherlyke saddlebags and a windshield.

I checked my odometer with my GPS before I left and it was off by 5% and my speedometer reads 5 MPH fast.

I used the GPS on the trip and it showed the 1025 miles. The bike odometer showed more.

I discovered that on a trip this long that I need earplugs, handlebar risers and a throttle lock. I think my throttle hand bothered more than anything else. Oh, staying hydrated in the heat wasn’t easy. I made sure I drank some water at every gas stop. It was almost 100 F in Wall that day. Also a larger gas tank would have been nice.

My mileage seemed to drop significantly at Interstate speeds. The speed in South Dakota is 75 and that can be pushed in a lot of the state because there isn't much traffic and it's straight as an arrow until you get to Wall and the badlands on into the Black Hills. I normally get 150 miles before I go on reserve and was really surprised when I went on reserve at 128 miles and I was short of my planned second gas stop. Just adjusted for it after that.

I ran interstate through SW MN and on into SD.

I drove straight to Spearfish, which is only a few miles from WY. I ate some snacks and called the wife from there and headed right back home. I didn't have a lot of time for sightseeing but I have been out there quite a few times in the car. It is beautiful country.

There was a lot of bikes out there but nothing like there will be in August when Sturgis is going on. It was really dry with warnings about throwing cigarettes out the window all along the interstate. I don’t smoke so wasn’t an issue but apparently they have had a few fires.

Total cost for gas was about $100 and I used premium, which I probably didn’t need. I did blow a turn signal bulb somewhere along the way.

Well this has gotten long but it pretty well sums up the trip. :D

Fred

·
Registered
524 Posts
Fred,

You've learned so very much from your ride! I'm really impressed. Obviously, you've discovered the LD riders idea of "ride slower to go faster" on long rides. Keeping your bike in it's MPG sweetspot over a long distance can save you at least one stop.

I've been following your thread on the IBA Future Members Forum. Given the comments from Ira Agins I'd expect you'll have a reall problem getting the ride certified. :(

If you're serious about adding an alt fuel cell to your bike we've developed one good approach. A Summit 5 gallon cell will fit on the rear-fender but works best if you remove the rear pillion.

Let me know if you want more info.

Jim

·
Registered
541 Posts
Congrats on the ride.

All my Hondas (VTX1300/1800 and ST1300A) read high on speed and odo. The GPS was my speedo and odo for my rides. And yes, your mileage may vary. I did a fair number of miles before the IBA SS and knew when the light came on (1800) or I hit reserve (1300) it was time to find gas. The trouble I had was that sometimes the station was a bit further down the road than I felt comfortable with - and the VTX is not easy to push or leave on the side of the road unattended.

One thing I found is that there was a special spot where speed and fuel consumption seemed about the best. Go to much faster and you ran out of fuel a lot sooner. For me the best fuel economy/speed was also the most comfortable ride wise. It was as if the bike was telling me 'I like it here". I was too deaf to listen. :lol:

I wear ear plugs, not because the pipes are loud, but because after a few hours the wind noise seems to grate on me. I also found some kind of throttle lock was worth it's weight in gold. The mechanical ones don't keep the speed constant but all I needed was a couple of minutes to rest my hand and relax and I was good for another couple of hours. Another thing I learned was I was gripping the handlebars too tightly. Once I learned to relax the ride went much better.

Doug

·
Registered
541 Posts
True ldrjim - but I now ride an ST1300A which has a 7.5 gallon tank and gets 40+ mpg and about 250-300 miles per tank.

Doug

·
Registered
541 Posts
ldrjim said:
Yep, and the ST1300 neve :wink: r runs out of gas! :lol: Jim
Oh, it runs out of gas. It just takes longer. :roll:

So, I spend $10K+ for a high gas mileage bike and you're telling me I could have gotten the same mileage with a $200 mod. :shock: No wonder my retirement fund is going down when the market's going up. :p

Doug

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fuel cell

Hey Jim, I am interested in how you mounted a fuel cell on the VTX. What was the cost and how much fuel can you carry with the mod.

I had so much fun on the last ride I think I could get hooked and a bigger tank would be nice.

Fred

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.