Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked today on valve adjustment, but I couldn't get the airbox off....the 10mm bolt just spins....looks like there's a nut embedded in rubber that is just spinning with it. Anyone run across this or have a solution? Thanks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had the same problem...Get someone to hold a long small screwdriver against the nut..Worked fine for me...

hope this helps...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem as has many others. Unfortunately I can't remember the remedy. I had another problem with my bike and I had my mechanic fix it. It is a chronic issue. There was someone else that posted this question about a month ago. You may be able to go back and find the answer posted.

Sorry I can't be of help
Donny

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
You should be able to remove the other screws first and then pull on the air box toward the front or back to put pressure on the nut. And never tighten that one more than snug. Mine was like that from the factory too. I did the above and used an air impact to get it off and it came off immediately. Good luck.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I did the same thing a few weeks ago, nothing worked for me and I tried the air impact too. I finally pulled the top part of the air box away from the frame and was able to complete the valve job.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
I used a 10mm socket on a long extension to hold down the rubber grommet from the left side of the bike while I loosened the bolt, screw driver would probably do the samething.

Remember just to snug it up on install

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the screwdriver method didn't work for me....it just spun or moved with the grommet. I'll try the socket...that sounds promising....thanks.

·
Old Goat
25,632 Posts
Did my valves again today for the heck of it no problem with that bolt , you guys just dont know your own strength. :lol: Im glad I read about this problem early on , so I just snug mine up each time , its really more of a compression thing as opposed to gorilla tight. have a good one

·
Registered
461 Posts
I use a long pair of needlenose pliers, reach though from the left side and grab the rubber, did one Friday that was like yours.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I just pulled it through, its just a rubber gromet. I havent had it on for 2 years now and no problems.

·
Registered
735 Posts
bigdaddy1 said:
I just pulled it through, its just a rubber gromet. I havent had it on for 2 years now and no problems.
It is a 6MM Wellnut :shock: . They are cheap at Lowe's if you damage it :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
In case there are others still facing this issue today - my story is had a friend who bought an OEM air box to replace the high flow air kit on a stock bike that had no JetKit to match it. She wasn't willing to spend more on the bike so she found a cheap used airbox online, but it came from a crashed bike and seems the 10mm bolt was seized on the rubber coated brass threaded base. After much deliberation, and considering since she already had this grommet still on her bike, I simply used a pair of needle-nosed lock pliers, and slowly used a 10mm socket with an extension from the inside. Came out within minutes. If you don't have a spare grommet to destroy, as some have stated, this can be had at any Lowes/HDepot and for the purists out there, myself included, I think it's like $10-$15 at a stealership.

Ride Safe guys & gals!
:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts