Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1300 problem

New used 2004 1300 C. Went through the complete corporation system including relating the gas tank, carb kit, fuel selector, and hoses. Ran rough for a few miles then cleaned up and ran perfect

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2004 VTX 1300C total carburetion system re-done. Ran perfect then shut off without a sputter. Restarted after a few minutes, then shut off again. Bike shop is baffled?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Check/replace vacuum hoses.
OEM cracks/splits on the inside of the hose.
You can flip the spring in the petcock cover to flow gas without vacuum.
If you do that turn fuel selector OFF when parked.

Ignition Control Module has two wires that have a history of breaking.
The two most forward wires, Green and a Black wire.
Wire breaks right at the connector weather seal(o-ring).
Check battery connections, they get loose and cause issues.
Kick stand staying up??? ICM has to see a Ground from the kickstand switch when it is up.

There were a few fuel problems earlier this year.
You may want to scroll back and look through the 1300 Riders board.

Welcome to the VTXOA!

·
Old Goat
24,227 Posts
Welcome...while I can fix my own chit,have a problem diagnosing others...these gurus will help u out.....good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got my 2004 with 5600 miles. Complete gas system overhaul,Plugs and fluids. Shuts off at full speed...Like a switch, no sputter. Restarts after it sits a while. Did this three times in a row. Had to have it hauled in. Bike mechanics are baffled? Is anyone familiar with this problem?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
I commented on your first thread, posted below.
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/113-new-member-introductions/466748-1300-problem.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Members Please Read!!!
Welcome to the board!
Your first 5 posts must be approved by a moderator before they will be put on the board. This is to help keep spammers off the forum. Please try to keep your first 5 here on the New Member board and we will try to get it approved within a day or two. Thanks!

Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. Here is a list of all the boards you are free to use and a brief description of what should be posted on each board.
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/

In some forums you will see sticky threads at the top that explain the rules of the site and/or that forum. Please be sure to read them and follow the rules

·
Registered
254 Posts
possibly a defective petcock, or fuel filter located where fuel line enters the carb could be gunked up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2004 VTX problems

Hello folks. Just went through my new used 2004 VTX 1300C 5400 miles. Had the complete carb system gone through, new plugs, coils checked. It dies at sustained high speed (5 minutes at 70mph)...Will restart and run fine after a few minutes. The shop has checked it and can only come up with vapor lock draining the fuel out of the bowl. Im going to do an experiment by removing the cap, duct taping the filler hole and poking a vent hole in it. Any input on this????

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Right rear side of the tank has the vent hose.
It has about a foot of hose connected to a "T" then more hose to the bottom of the frame.
The side port of the "T" is open. A vacuum breaker if the bottom hose is in water or collecting water from spray.

When it dies at 70 MPH and it dies, open the fuel cap and listen if air is rushing in..
Clogged vent possibly.

Has the tank been sealed if it was rusty???
Tank sealing usually seals the vent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be sure the vacuum line to the fuel switch is connected on the front side. Lack of vacuum will shut off fuel.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Remove both vacuum lines from the petcock. Turn petcock to “ON” position. install a piece of vacuum tubing to the forward (the one that was connected to carb vacuum previously) and suck on the hose you just installed. Gas should flow freely from the petcock. If dribble or no flow, petcock is clogged or defective. Good luck. How was the screen in the input side of carb. It can get gunked up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I had a "mechanic" add a fuel filter. He put it between the cylinder heads which was causing the gas to boil in the filter causing a vapor locking issue. It took 3 mechanics to figure this out. That was a learning experience for me, seeing as how I trusted a bike shop that has been around 20 years to do it right. Anyways mine was not the speed at which I was going, but the quicker the engine got hot, the quicker it was die and then wait 30 secs or so and it would fire right back up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts