Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If fourth gear will take you over 100 mph, it does not sound like you will be using fifth gear very often. It sounds like fifth gear will lug the engine at highway speeds.
The engine will NOT lug at highway speeds. Maybe my definition of "lug" is not the same as yours....I NEVER have lugging issues...that beast has way too much torque to lug. Now a HD or a Boulevard..that's another story.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Keep us posted on the 1300 final drive

I am still interested if there is a change in gas mileage. Report back when you have had sufficient time to check this out. Thanks for the feedback so far. I am also in 5th gear at 55 - 60 mph. However, I am most likely running higher rpms with my 1800 final drive than you are with your 1300 final drive. Below 55 mph my bike begins to lug and I have to gear down to 4th gear when passing other vehicles.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Gas Mileage

On a trip Sue's 1300 will consistently get 10 mpg more than my 1800. I am attempting to find out if putting a 1300 final drive on my 1800 will close the gas mileage gap.

·
Registered
617 Posts
1300 final drive

I got the information I needed from the VTX 1800 tech board. Switching my 1800 final drive for a 1300 final drive is not for me as I do not do much long distance riding. On paper my 1800 will do 143.75 mph in 5th gear at redline. I do not think I need a "6th gear." I get my best gas mileage at 3000 - 4000 rpms in 5th gear which translates to 75 - 100 mph. I am happy with the 1800 rear drive.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If the people with an 1800cc m/c need to switch there finale drive to 1300cc final drive to get better mpg's they should have bought a 1300cc m/c. If u buy a big dog feed the big dog. my .02 and can't spare any more..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have had the 1300 final on my 1800 for 2 years.....I have got to say I really enojoy not having to shift so often as when hitting the twisties I can stay in each gear a bit longer.

I also don't see any real lag when cruzing highway....the rpms did dropp by roughly 350 when cruzing at 70...which is a nice added feature.

I like it. It may not be for everyone, but I think it is where they should have geared the 1800...pleanty of power to not really effect get up and go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
1300 to 1800

Ok has anyone with a 1300 put a 1800 rear drive in? will it give more bottom end acceleration? My friend and i were considering swapping drives. she has a 1300 and i have an 1800. i may have to just test it out and see.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok has anyone with a 1300 put a 1800 rear drive in? will it give more bottom end acceleration? My friend and i were considering swapping drives. she has a 1300 and i have an 1800. i may have to just test it out and see.

If she is willing, go for it...because a 1300 FD goes for $300, while an 1800 FD is worth about $50.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Taffer, I have a 1300 Final on the way from a board member on the classified board. I do a lot of highway cruising so this seems like a logical change for me. I am ALWAYS wanting to shift when I get to 5th and the rpm's seem too high.

I am looking forward to the change. If the weather would just friggin break we could have a little tech session and get this puppy installed. Maybe if Hunter can get his bike lift fixed soon???? HUNTER???

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Wasn't there something not too long ago about the reverse, putting a 1800 final on the 1300? Supposed to help the 1300 not wind up so much at higher speeds?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'd be willing to give it a try. Do you happen to know if it's just as simple as unbotling mine, pulling out the 1300 FD, and putting in the 1800?

I'll do a search on the 1300 board and see what I can find out.

EDIT: Did some reading and I'm going to pass. From what I've read the 1800 FD in the 1300 will give you a lot of torque (pull) through gears 1-3. But you'll lose some top end in the higher gears, and possibly be searching more for a 6th gear if you're doing a lot of cruising at 65-70mph.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I'd be willing to give it a try. Do you happen to know if it's just as simple as unbotling mine, pulling out the 1300 FD, and putting in the 1800?

I'll do a search on the 1300 board and see what I can find out.

EDIT: Did some reading and I'm going to pass. From what I've read the 1800 FD in the 1300 will give you a lot of torque (pull) through gears 1-3. But you'll lose some top end in the higher gears, and possibly be searching more for a 6th gear if you're doing a lot of cruising at 65-70mph.

Yup, thats what I found too. Opposite of what I would want also.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Taffer, I have a 1300 Final on the way from a board member on the classified board. I do a lot of highway cruising so this seems like a logical change for me. I am ALWAYS wanting to shift when I get to 5th and the rpm's seem too high.

I am looking forward to the change. If the weather would just friggin break we could have a little tech session and get this puppy installed. Maybe if Hunter can get his bike lift fixed soon???? HUNTER???

Let's do it. We don't need a bike lift. I have a PepsX stand and a bike jack here that we can use. I also have all tools needed to take off the rear wheel. The only issue is that I'm pretty busy for a while and we might have to wait until Easter break. (3 weeks or so) But then again, judging from the forecast, it will be cold until then anyway.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts