Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yeah, I hear you there. That would be a good opportunity to get my rear tire changed while its off too. I will keep in touch and we can set something up. Hell, the bike is still in storage anyways. Waiting for a decent weekend day but we have had none so far...18 days below freezing this March - worst in recent memory....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
global warming my a$$.

·
Registered
539 Posts

1800 final will increase operating rpm significanly on open road. But it will give it out of the hole power. After riding a 1300 on interstate i am not sure the Rpm with a single pin crank would like those high Rpm. I have a gearing spreadsheet you can calculate each gear ration in the tranny and the final driven gear to come up with max torque hp speeds and power as well as redline if anyone wants itI will email it. I use it a lot, worked great on my busa for setting it up for 1/8 mile vs 1/4 mile

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Taffer, you free this Saturday? Looks like a nice day to awaken the beast.
Travis: This weekend is not so good for me. I have spring break in a few weeks (week after Easter)...that might be better. I'm sure you can wait that long. I have synthetic gear oil. No need to buy any.

Kevin: Do you want to come over to change your oil? It's cool with me if we have a little tech session in my garage, it will just have to wait until my schedule frees up. I do have several extra filters and I have a bunch of crush washers. It's kind of a far drive for you just to get an oil change though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
final drive swaps with 1300 and 1800

Ok folks i just swapped the final drives with my friends 1300. I haven't driven it too far or highway, but its a smoother start for me. Which is to say it doesn't jump off the line like my other gear did. It isn't a huge difference , but it does smooth things out for me. Now her 1300 has more pickup in the lower gears and she is happy. it'll help her keep up with me. We'll do some more test driving as the weather permits. one thing I have to mention. If your doing the swap, pull those final drives off slowly and carefully. Because her front ujoint slid off and I had a hell of a time trying to see why my shaft wasn't lining up right. then I took the side cover off and moved the rubber boot and saw that the joint had slid off. once it was back on I had no trouble lining it back up. I think I'm happy with the swap. I'm not worried about racing around or anything. Just having a nice smooth ride and still have the power to move.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
An 1800 VTX with a 1300 final will beat a stock final drive in a quarter mile. So you should not worry about racing, because now you'll beat their A$$.

(The only way a 1800 final beats the 1300 final is with 2nd gear starts and a mucho RPM clutch drop). Lots of documentation on this on the interwebs.

My first gear starts still feel very powerful and she hauls like a raped ape on crack. I really don't notice any loss of power and if anything, not having to shift after 10 feet improves overall acceleration.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
How about April 23? The day BEFORE Easter?

Looks warm but rainy this weekend anyways.

We'll talk. Have to work out my schedule with "she who must be obeyed".

·
Registered
202 Posts
I also did this swap with a friend recently and we are both happy with both bikes. My cruises easier on the highway and his will now take off without having to ride the hell out of the clutch.

It does throw the speedos off on both bikes though.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I also did this swap with a friend recently and we are both happy with both bikes. My cruises easier on the highway and his will now take off without having to ride the hell out of the clutch.

It does throw the speedos off on both bikes though.
I think my speedo is more accurate than ever. However, I have an F model and a car tire, which are variables also. I cruised next to a Honda Civic with the big speedo and my 60 was her 60mph. I'll have to test it on my GPS sometime, although I'm not really sure how accurate the GPS is either.

Most bikes have serious speedo error from the factory. I believe that i had at least 10% (reading too high) and the non digital models (C/R/S/N) are even worse. The 1300 final makes up for that and may even reverse the speedo error slightly (reading lower than you are actually going).

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Well ya better let me know, I have a new rear tire on order so hopefully we can get the tire changed while we are at it and be done with rear end stuff for the year.

Then I think we just need to change the oils and hydraulic fluids out.

Anybody here ever change out the fork oil? Is that best left for a dealer tech to handle?

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Fork oil can be done on the bike but better pulling the forks and really cleaning with carb cleaner and drain it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well ya better let me know, I have a new rear tire on order so hopefully we can get the tire changed while we are at it and be done with rear end stuff for the year.

Then I think we just need to change the oils and hydraulic fluids out.

Anybody here ever change out the fork oil? Is that best left for a dealer tech to handle?

How are you planning on mounting the new tire?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Southeast Sales is only about 12 minutes from me....we can take it there. You could put a car tire on while you are at it!!!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
No way man. My new 200 Cobra should arrive today from DLP. I am not excited about the whole car tire thing.

If Taffer will confrim the date, I will contact the dealer to ensure they will be open for a quick tire change that morning as well. Our luck the date will work but it will be pouring rain or something...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Our luck the date will work but it will be pouring rain or something...
I know you well enough to say you are not that sweet that you have to worry about melting! The question is if you will be able to get a hall pass and if all of your chores are done, bed made, house cleaned, dishes done, carpet vacumed, laundry, done etc.....

41 - 60 of 115 Posts