Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum, and have a 2005, 1300C. I was out for a ride yesterday due to the fact it was beautiful here in the south, rode for about 3-4 miles and was on the throttle when the bike backfired twice then acted as though it was running out of gas and died right in the middle of the highway. tried to start the bike and the battery was about dead. I realize it will need a new battery but does anyone have any insight as to why the bike died?? has plenty of gas, never acted up until all this happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I knew that, but would that cause the bike to die??? I never worked much on a motorcycle always cars.....so I was thinking that even with a low battery that as long as it is off idle, it would remain running. Maybe I'm wrong but not too sure.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am new to the forum, and have a 2005, 1300C. I was out for a ride yesterday due to the fact it was beautiful here in the south, rode for about 3-4 miles and was on the throttle when the bike backfired twice then acted as though it was running out of gas and died right in the middle of the highway. tried to start the bike and the battery was about dead. I realize it will need a new battery but does anyone have any insight as to why the bike died?? has plenty of gas, never acted up until all this happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Weak spark slowly flooding it perhaps?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats kinda what I thought too but like I said I just wasn't sure how a bike reacts when the battery is low. Of course this all happened late in the day yesterday so all I did was trailer the bike back to the house, haven't even removed the seat to check the battery terminals yet. Will do this tonight when I get home from work.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
+1 on checking the battery cables. I check mine every time I service the bike because loose cables have been a well documented issue.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar issue although it didn't strand me and it turned out to be fouled plugs...thus the backfiring.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Like stated before, check the battery connections first and let us know.
It could also be a bad ground.
or a bad wire on the ecu.
You could also have a bad petcoc.
I had a combination of both a bad ground and bad petcoc. Just about drove me nuts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all ya.......like I said when I get home tonight I will pull the seat off and do some checking, will let you all know what I come upn with.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after removing the seat last night, I checked both cables, they were ok, checked all the other wiring near the battery box and seemed fine as well. Checked my battery and had only 11.0 volts and would drop to about 2.0 volts when cranking, so definately will have to replace the battery. Then I will see what it does from there. Does anyone know if it reacts like a car with a 12.0 volt system where if the battery goes, the car can remain running with the alternator. I don't know enough about a bike and is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
kruea05 -

Nope !!! When the battery goes out a bike, it will generally stop running. The charging systems needs the feedback on the circuit. Do not attempt to test your charging system output by disconnecting the battery while the engine is running or you could short out your voltage regulator or worse yet - your stator. When the battery on the VTX goes bad, the only correct option is the replace it with a known good (new) battery.

Once the voltage drops below a certain level the X runs like crap - spits, sputters and backfires due to insufficient voltage supply to the coils and spark plugs. That will also happen when the battery cables are slightly loose or corroded.

It doesn't appear to be a very common problem to have a battery go bad on a VTX, particularly an '05, but it does happen. Have you tried making sure the water level in the battery is up to snuff and doing a 1-2 amp, 24 hour slow charge with a "smart charger"?? Sometimes this can restore a battery to good service life, if it's in a bike that doesn't get ridden often.

If you find that you're not riding at least 2-3 times a week for at least 1 hour non-stop (above 2500 RPM), then I'd suggest that you leave the bike on a smart charger when not in use.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
:agree:What he said.

Havent had the issue with the VTX yet but my ole Shadow....well, lets just say that I had some charging issues and leave it at that. LOL

I was well versed as far as when the battery was dying......ran completely different. Then it just quit like you said.

I had a "T" style battery and so it had less reserve than most bike batteries and that made it worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MADNESS MC-

Thanks for all the input, I greatly appreciate it. I didn't disconnect the cables and check voltage on the battery, I performed a load test while the cables were still attached and my voltage dropped to about 2 volts so I know the battery is bad. Thing is, this is gonna be the second time that I had a dead battery, last time I did check my level, adjusted and charged it up. It was good now for about a year but with having 6 kids, I don't get out and ride near enough like in the past. So you are right. Anyway, the only thing that had me confused was the spittin and sputterin it did right before it finally died on the highway. Typically with an auto, if the battery dumps, the alternator will keep the car running since the only real purpose of the battery is to start the car. But thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use a Battery Tender to keep my battery charged. Whenever I park my bike I hook-up the battery tender, even in the summer months, and in four years I have never had any battery problems. The Battery Tender gives you a cable with a connector, which mates with the charger on one end and terminals on the other end which you connect to the battery. Its simple to plug and un-plug as needed.
Just food for thought,
-Bill

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check the wiring bundle. I had the same thing happen to me on the highway. One off the connections work loose. It felt like I wasn't getting fuel, but it was from the drain on the battery.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
HDL Around $24.0
HDL Around $35.00
( I'am getting one of these, just because ! )

1 - 20 of 22 Posts