Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 VTX 1300 Retro +85000mi
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am. riding along on my trusted steed, (2005 VTX1300R, 91K incident free miles) and suddenly she throws would could only be described as a ”hissy fit”. First the speedo starts swinging back and forth. Then it feel like I’m only running on 1 cylinder, coughing and sputtering with almost no power. Then when I twist the throttle 3 of what could be best described as .45cal loud backfires. Suddenly no power, no lights no signals no anything. So coast to a stop, climb off and do a quick check for pieces that may have fallen off or exploded.

Switch the key back on she fires right up like nothing happened and motors for about 2 minutes and it starts all over again. Then nothing. No idiot lights, no power. Sit for 30 minutes trying to get ahold of family, then call AAA. “No motorcycle towing available until tomorrow”. A discussion for another time. Start to make arraignments to store it overnight at this gas station.

45 minutes later, get ready to leave and turn the key and she roars back to life and I put in in gear and 30 miles home without incident.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,574 Posts
Sometimes, if she ain't in the mood ....

Seriously, sounds electrical to me. Pull the seat and with it idling, wiggle, gently, the harness to the ECU and see if something arises. My 1800 had similar issues, found a fuse that wasn't properly seated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes, if she ain't in the mood ....

Seriously, sounds electrical to me. Pull the seat and with it idling, wiggle, gently, the harness to the ECU and see if something arises. My 1800 had similar issues, found a fuse that wasn't properly seated.
I figured electrical, was just wondering if anyone else hd run into an issue that effected the spedo pack as well as an individual coil and then the entire system. I know some here do all their own repairs and even replacements.

·
Premium Member
10,574 Posts
I figured electrical, was just wondering if anyone else hd run into an issue that effected the spedo pack as well as an individual coil and then the entire system. I know some here do all their own repairs and even replacements.
Yup, I got ya. That's why I suggested the ECU harness. Sometimes due to age and vibration a wire will get weakened right at the ECU plug. I'd start there.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
Someone just had intermittent connection on the Ignition switch connector.

It got hot, maybe from an overload or bad terminals.
Loose battery connections???
My stator and R/R died with similar speedo outage/blank, loss of power.
Four battery jumps got me home in 13 miles.
A main fuse in the cap of the Starter relay needs inspection.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, I got ya. That's why I suggested the ECU harness. Sometimes due to age and vibration a wire will get weakened right at the ECU plug. I'd start there.
I appreciate all the advice and tips. Did a lot of wire shaking and connection cleaning, and will take her out again today. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Agree with Hans, this could be easily a problem with the ignition switch and bad contacts. That would be the first item I would check thoroughly.
Hans, is the ignition switch serviceable or can it be only replaced?

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
Agree with Hans, this could be easily a problem with the ignition switch and bad contacts. That would be the first item I would check thoroughly.
Hans, is the ignition switch serviceable or can it be only replaced?
The push button is easily serviced with cleaning and lubrication. The keyed ignition is like any other keyed ignition. I'd give that a shot of WD40. Through the tumblers.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The push button is easily serviced with cleaning and lubrication. The keyed ignition is like any other keyed ignition. I'd give that a shot of WD40. Through the tumblers.
Cleaning the start button and kill switch never hurts but it has zero effect on total loss of power, including lights etc. While the headlight circuit is interrupted by the starter button, other lights are powered independently from the ignition switch through their respective fuses.
Hence my suggestion to start troubleshooting at the ignition switch.
Curious about the future diagnosis. Hoping it is an easy fix.

·
Old Goat
26,941 Posts
U know…if mine did that …(I dont know what a Hissy is)I wouldnt ride it and put it to bed with no supper….something similar with my pups…lol..good luck

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Appreciate all the ideas. Found a worn through wire under the tank and a bad connection near the battery. Fixed those, bike wouldn't restart but the lights came on. Went inside and took a breather, cold beer and some thinking time. Started back with the basics, jumped started the bike and she fired right up. I figured between the short and bad contacts, that 7 year old battery had finally had enough. Replaced the battery and zoom zoom zoom. Took third post repairs and battery, 50+ mile ride this morning. Nothing better than listening the hum of the road under your butt.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts