Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for my first ride this year and went around 35 miles and stoped for a sandwich. Took off and realised my trip meter was at 1.5 miles. From Wendys to where I noticed it was about 1.5 miles. I was bothered about it and went straight home and checked the battery wires they were tight and i pushed and wiggled the harnesses and did not lose my trip meter. I wish I paid more attention, but not sure if the"B" meter reset, I think it did. Bike rode home just fine, Ask away!

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Did you wash your X recently?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
not since last fall and garage kept. Bike fired up with choke immediately and ran fine right away. Went and had tires pumped then back home. Then to a friends and stoped at his place then we took off. Probably started it at least 6 times.

·
Old Goat
25,162 Posts
Only time my meter ever reset was the rare occasion I stalled the bike.....I believe there has been couple of old post about them failing..calling all “Guru’s”.....good luck

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Did Trip B reset?
1. Something went open on the Memory fuse circuit? Red/Green wire.
2. On a start/restart if the engine cranked slowly the battery voltage may have
dropped too low and memory cleared.
There is also a Green/Black wire that is a Ground for the Speedo/Odometer unit.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, not sure if the "B" reset, or I did it. It read the same as "A" when I got home. I have not taken the console off as of yet. I just pushed and pulled the harness under the tank to the console with the ignition on and did not loose the trip meter.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i have run it afew times and jiggled and wiggled every wire i could get my hands on and can't duplicate what happened, so i am putting it back together and chalking it up to shit happens.

·
Registered
946 Posts
This has happened to me a couple times. Once it backfired, and stalled. When I restarted it the trips had reset.
Yesterday I was turning around in a friends driveway and was just inching forward, I stalled it (pretty sure it was me) and when I started it again the trips had reset.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
My theory is that when it stalled a piston was on intake stroke.
The air/fuel expanded from heat of the cylinder walls.
On restart this one cylinder had abnormally high compression
and the battery could not provide enough current to turn over.
The battery voltage dropped below what memory voltage is required
and reset.

Reactions: estr bunny

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, If something of any value happens, I will keep you posted. It is going to get cold again here, but I will be riding at the first good day

·
Registered
223 Posts
I;m saying it was Gremlins!

Gremlin history. The modern mythology of the gremlin was popularized during World War II. Destructive little imps with a taste for senseless destruction, gremlins were blamed by superstitious fighter pilots for all manner of electrical failure and technical difficulty.

Thats who I blame anyway when this kind of stuff happens to me... :unsure:

Reactions: jackk

·
Old Goat
25,162 Posts
I;m saying it was Gremlins!

Gremlin history. The modern mythology of the gremlin was popularized during World War II. Destructive little imps with a taste for senseless destruction, gremlins were blamed by superstitious fighter pilots for all manner of electrical failure and technical difficulty.

Thats who I blame anyway when this kind of stuff happens to me... :unsure:
Yep...thats why I have the bell on the bike and one on my Honda car.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I get this too when it stalls for some reason, and it doesn't start right back up. Usually when its cold out... Mine is warm blooded for sure. I think the theory about the voltage dropping low makes sense. I always keep my eye on the mileage as that is what I use to know when I need to fill it back up. As I ride pretty much daily, I have an idea when but I go by my mileage. 135-150 miles better start thinking about it as that's about when the reserve needs to be kicked in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My trip meter on my vtx has done a few times. As long as the trip meter doesn’t go completely blank then that’s a problem. My trip meter went completely blank a few times and would come back so I never did anything to it. One day my bike left stranded in the road. The problem the blank trip meter was trying to tell me was that my stator was dead and My battery was not charging while riding.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a happy camper but I have a story to tell. Mark and Marinedevil said something that interested me, so I checked my records and realized I was in the 5th year for my battery. I replaced the battery went for a ride today. I was at a stop light and went to go and stalled the bike restarted and stalled again. Realizing I was in 2nd gear I started the bike for a third time and it was really grinding down. It started and my trip meters went to zero. Bike started and ran fine. So now I am where I was except I have a new battery. So now I am thinking (battery or meter or ECM or just me). What Marinedevil said bothered me about being stranded. I will have my new battery checked and look into a new meter and try to check out the ECM.

·
Old Goat
25,162 Posts
it was really grinding down.
If u havent...just for the hell of it do the starter button maintenance....good luck

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
New battery, standard or higher capacity?
Prefilled or you filled. did you charge it at 1 amp for 10 hours?
What is your charging voltage?
You can check the voltage from the stator, AC voltage, 3 phase, pair up 3 times and measure
at idle and at a few thousand RPMs.
info in Step by Step.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Prefilled started and rode for half hour, did not precharge. haven't checked other things, thanks will do.
AutoCraft Powersports Battery, Group Size BTX14-BS, 200 CCA

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New battery, standard or higher capacity?
Prefilled or you filled. did you charge it at 1 amp for 10 hours?
What is your charging voltage?
You can check the voltage from the stator, AC voltage, 3 phase, pair up 3 times and measure
at idle and at a few thousand RPMs.
info in Step by Step.
Prefilled started and rode for half hour, did not precharge. haven't checked other things, thanks will do. I will clean the starter button too. Thanks everyone

AutoCraft Powersports Battery, Group Size BTX14-BS, 200 CCA

1 - 20 of 45 Posts