Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Look at the KS and switch.It may be loose.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
thanks, will take a closer look, i did kick it in and out a few times. seams hard to work on, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
My side stand switch has a little play in it when off the floor and lifted some. Just a little wiggle. All the bolts are rock hard tight. I take it you can't unplug the switch wires at the switch to do an electrical check. Last 4 rides wemt well with no problem. I am just one of thes guys that likes to know the reason things happen. The side stand down still doesn't kill the motor in any gear, so I know something is wrong. It looks like the clutch switch grounds thru the ECM and the side stand switch is a confusing symbol. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
KS switch has some wire on it that goes to a Black 2 pin connector.
2003 SM shows it in the left side engine cover.
Some location changes made in later models.
The KS switch rotates. "D" = Down = Open circuit. U= UP = KS UP, switch contacts closed.
Apparently your KS switch is stuck or broken in the UP mode or getting a short to Ground.
A few pix. The Starter Switch schematic shows a dashed line to "D" is Down = Open ckt.
The U = UP = switch contacts Closed (solid line) a Ground is sent to the ICM.

I suspect you could crank/start the engine with KS down if you pull the clutch lever in
and hit the Starter button.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks Hans, great pics, worth a thousand words. Looks like you can check continuity with the switch apart and still connected to the bike? I probably should stop screwing around and just buy a new switch. lol

41 - 45 of 45 Posts