Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a current Shadow Aero owner, I am looking to 'upsize' this summer. I've searched and read most of the posts here on the 1300 vs 1800 debates and opinions, read various reviews and can see that it boils down to one's own needs and tastes, and I think I know what I will do and why. But one last question for those of you that looked at both bikes before buying - anyone have any regrets? Wished you had gotten the other one? And why?

Great forum you have here and I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time here.

Al

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have a 1300C and absolutely no regrets at all. To me owning a V-twin is all about the sound and the rumble, and the 1800 is too smooth (a plus to most owners) and I really like the soudn of the single pin engine much better on the 1300 as well. I'm not bashing the 18, just if I were out for power instead of sound and feel I'd have bought a valk or a crotch rocket.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I didn't like the way the 18 felt rolling it around the parking lot at the dealer, too top heavy for me.

Just my thoughts, they are two differnt bikes, decide what suits you and go with the one that matches.

George

·
Registered
900 Posts
Went with the 1800, after the test ride I was all done deciding!

Ride both and see how you feel.

You will like which ever you buy!

Just go out and do it then post some pictures!

Ride Safe, Take Care, Dan
:coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1:

·
Registered
453 Posts
bought the 1800c back in 2001 but if the 1300c was available back then, i would've have bought it and save the 3 grands for other things like insurance, maintenance, gas, etc. however, no regrets w/ the 1800.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I've got a 1300.

Any regrets I've had have been silly Freudian lapses into CI envy.

I've never needed more power than the 1300 can provide. (got three traffic stops and one ticket to prove it)

The single pin crank does sound cooler.

Actually, I kinda regret the lack of FI. I love the sound and relative ease of a carb, but the choke and warm-up time can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Just get a VTX - either of them. You'll love it.

Oh, and get a black one.

BLACK IS THE MOST MANLY!!!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Al...

If you are truly reading us for view points, go to *both* boards, which means the 1300 board, too.

Personally, I have no regrets with my 1800. But I recognize a lot of advantages to the 1300.

But I have to say this publicly [sp?] since I just bought my fiance a 1300Retro. Which I have ridden and think it is, also, a he// of a bike.

No regrets; not from me, not from Colleen.

Jim

G

·
0 Posts
I checked them both out. Going in I figured the 1300 was more than enough of a bike for me (trading in my 1100 shadow spirit). But the litinay of technical differences, particularly FI turned my head. I too thought the 1800 would be too massive for me ... but to my surprise, I found it easier to man handle than the spirit in many situations (yes I bought the 1800). Of course it didn't hurt that the dealer had a 2004 1800 that he wanted to move and so it was very little cost difference from the 1300 given what you get for it...

As previous post declare, its all in the feel. My dealer let me test ride both. Personally, I like the smooth ride of the 1800. Even with a passenger, it is an awesome ride.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Regrets

Bought the 1800 after a test ride. Incredible bike!!! My only regret is the price has dropped by about 3K from what I paid for mine in 03. I need to sell and know I'm going to have to take a huge loss.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've owned both. I can truly say that I was very pleased with the 1300 C. It was nimble, sounded great and had decient power. It was my first bike and I had it for a year. I just got the 1800 C last month. Incredible power, rides really smooth and for all the riding I plan to do (over 900 miles so far in a month!) it's the bike for me. I love the fuel injection. No more sputtering on cold mornings. The linked brakes are a plus too. The 1800 is a little more top heavy, especially is slow turns, but after awhile, you get used to it. The bottom line is, get what you like. I don't think you can go wrong with either one though.

·
Registered
759 Posts
the 1300 has plenty of power for me. don't regret it in the least.

·
Senior Moments
8,400 Posts
We have both in our garage. Mine is a 1300 his is an 1800. Neither of us has any regrets in our choice. I like the feel of the 1300, because it is a bit lighter. Get what feels best to you. Either way you will be the proud owner of a great bike.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wanted the 1300, like the single pin sound, and thought it would be plenty of power. Looked at the 1800, liked the FI and Brakes much better.

All set to buy the 1300, then the dealer say "how would you like a sweet deal on a left of 1800 Retro Spoke and we'll give you 2K in accessories." So I tried the 1800, the power was awesome, it did feel very heavy lifting it off the stand, but once moving it felt great.

That became a no brainer, 2002 1800 for less than a 2003 1300, and he let me choose 1/2 non-honda accessories with the 2K.

I'm not at all sorry, love the bike, but still hate the spokes. Both great bikes

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
You're the one who has to ride it - so get the one you want.
Either way - you can not go wrong with any of the VTX's.

No regrets here after 25K miles. 8)

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Well he wouldn't even look at the 1300, I guess cause the 1800 is such a big azzed bike that could carry our big azz's! :oops: After having the 750 Shadow Ace for over a year, he wanted to be sure this baby could haul the both of us without straining and plus he had his eye on the 1800 ever since it came out along with the Valkryies. I kinda feel better having the 1800 to pull the trailer and us now too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks

My thanks to everyone for their posts. I'm sure I won't go wrong with either bike.

I'm leaning toward the 1800N - that rear fender is just tooooooooooo awesome looking! Add FI, better brakes, radial tires, and the fact that "there's no replacement for displacement".... (grew up in the muscle car era and have almost always had one)... means the 1800 has the most 'pluses'

The biggest plus on the 1300 for me is the single pin crank - I love that sound (my Aero has it and with the HKs sounds awesome)... I'd miss that...

And as I age I find I LIKE smoooooooooooth... so the 1800 probably has it over the 1300 in that respect too.

But I will wait until I ride both before making my final decision. When I was looking at my 1st bike, I was leaning toward other models until I rode the Aero - and THAT made the difference and made the decision a 'no brainer'.

Since I live only 100 miles from Knoxville, TN I'll be going to the Honda Hoot in June where I can ride both (by then I'll have any personal money issues resolved) and make my decision then.

Again - thanks to all!

Al

·
Registered
405 Posts
I love my 1300, but my next bike in either going to be the 1800N or a wing. If I were you, and you really like the 1800N, I'd do it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had an Aero, and moved up to a 1300 a few weeks ago. I just wanted more power and a bigger bike. For me, the 1800 was just TOO big, I would have felt like I was driving a motorhome as my daily driver. :lol: I had a hard time even pushing it around at the dealer. I didn't even want to think about moving it around on a slight incline. So, the 1300 it was, as it is perfect for me, plenty of power and easy to ride and move around.
However, this is just my opinion. Both are great bikes, just different sizes. Pick the one that will best suit YOUR needs, I'm sure you will be happy.

TB

1 - 20 of 30 Posts