Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you have post what you have experienced with both these bikes. Because I've owned both, I thought I would drop in my two cents. Last year (2010) I bought the 1300 Retro. Loved the bike. It did everything right for a cruiser style ride. From Vegas I drove it to Laughlin, Nevada, Mount Charleston and St. George , Utah. Around town the bike was perfect. Easy to maneuver, comfortable at stops and produced plenty of power to get around. On the long hauls its fine at 65 miles per hour. From 70 on up you begin to really feel the vibes on the machine, running in the higher rpm's. My bike had modified pipes. In the city it was cool. Had a real good sound to it. But on the long hauls it would give me a head ache. Ear plugs helped a little. Two up I had complaints by my wife and son that the seat was uncomfortable.

Two months ago I sold the 1300 and bought the 1800. This new (2004) Neo-Retro bike had a lot of work done to in cosmetically. Tons of after market frills. The original owner also replaced the 1800 drive shaft for a 1300 shaft. Apparently to smooth out the gearing.

You immediately feel the weight difference on this bike. It does have hard bags that I'm sure add to what you feel putting it up right from the kick stand. Sitting still its not as comfortable. The reason; the 1300 had a stock seat. The original owner added foam cushioning into the seat and it was amazingly comfortable. Sitting on the 1300 was very relaxed with your feet flat on the ground. The 1800 has a Corbin seat. The seat sits you a bit higher and its shape doesn't allow me at 5'.10" to put my feet flat down. The seat is not as comfortable as the 1300 was. The Corbin seat really puts the passenger up high. Driving my son around (he's 6.'3"), you really feel it when he adjust side to side at speeds or at a stop. It can actually get kind of scary. I may change out the seat at some point.

At speeds down the highway the 1800 is remarkably smooth. I don't change into 5th gear till I'm over 65 miles per hour. No vibes at 70 or even 75 miles per hour. The steering is very light and responsive. More so than the 1300 was. I have the original pipes on it, which I really appreciate on the long hauls (nice and quite). So far I've taken it to Laughlin, Mount Charleston and Hoover dam.

I love having the hard bags on my 1800 verses the soft bags on the 1300. The added pluses like starting the bike up in cold weather, fuel injection on the 1800 is a pleasure. I was surprise that their is no reserve on the 1800. My gas mileage right now is only around 30 miles to a gallon verses around 40 with the 1300.

Bottom line, I have to say; if you are just going to ride around town or slow soft trips across country the 1300 fits the bill. But people, like me, who ride a bit harder and faster and enjoy going on long hauls, I think the 1800 better fits the bill.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Added info to 1800

Drove the 1800 to St. George Utah (120 mile drive). A nice easy ride, cruising between 80 to 85 miles per hour. From Summerlin to Mesquite is exactly 80 miles. Only used 2.39 gallons of regular fuel. Much better mileage than I was getting with city driving.
Heading back late at night, the first part of the journey is driving through the mountains and the temperature dropped substantially. There was complete darkness when I would turn off the lights. With all my LED's and head lights I have on that bike illuminated thousands of bugs coming at me and splattering the windshield (more than ever before). And, I couldn't believe all the varmints running across the road. Rabbits and rats by the dozens.
On the main highway at night, 80 miles per hour felt like warp speed. Riding along half the time felt smooth and stable. The other half of the time there would be a sudden sensation of turbulence all around me, rattling my helmet around. I just held on tight, anticipated the next blast. Felt like I was going to get blown off.
The weather is abnormal for this time of year and getting heavy surges of wind.
So far I've driven this bike to; Laughlin, Mount Charleston, Hoover Dam, Boulder City and Red Rock Canyon. The silver bike, all the same places, plus Sandy Valley. Other bikes I've driven to LA, California and Pahrump, Nevada.
Stay tuned for future trips.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts