Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 19.5k miles I decided that my cruiser needed a lifestyle change. I took the following steps....

1. Went to synthetic oil and a larger filter;
2. Installed a K&N air filter;
3. Began purchasing only 92 octane REAL fuel.

These changes have been phenomenal! Clutch action is so much more incredibly smooth. Engine even sounds happier. But the big deal is that I have gone from about 140-150 mpg before the change to, today's fill-up of 194 miles when I flipped to reserve. And about 120 miles of that was 2-up. The rest was half in town, half highway miles. Well, I am satisfied.

Just wanted to say...

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 92 octane is a waste of money unless that's the only 100% gasoline you can get. You would get just as good mpg on 100% 87 octane.

·
Super Moderator
63,932 Posts
engine was designed to run on lowest octane available. They run better and get better MPGs with correct octane. Just because it says "Premium" doesn't mean it's better

·
Registered
936 Posts
engine was designed to run on lowest octane available. They run better and get better MPGs with correct octane. Just because it says "Premium" doesn't mean it's better
Agreed, unless the premium is ethanol free...and then that's the kicker - doesn't matter the octane really, just if it's less ethanol or not...

Not that it really matters...

If you're that concerned about fuel economy, then get a moped. 8)

Same thing I tell people when they ask why I have a 5.4 L V8 F150. :p

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have to use at least 89 octane in my 07R or it pings on acceleration . I also use syn oil and large oil filter. Runs like a scalded dog

·
Old Goat
25,544 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, My 06 runs just fine on 87 ethanol and has since purchased new....I wouldnt even know where to look for straight gas here....good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
87 vs 92

The 92 octane is a waste of money unless that's the only 100% gasoline you can get. You would get just as good mpg on 100% 87 octane.
87 is available locally, but the mom/pop operation is 8-5, M-F, and no way I can make it during work hours. The 92 is available 24/7.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
i run 93 in mine:mrgreen:

·
Registered
159 Posts
fuel

I have ran both regular and high test fuels. There is a notable difference in high octane. I challenge all of you to run a couple tanks of high octane and then switch back. You will notice better milage and improved performance.

I also have used synthetic since I bought the bike. Smoother shifting and quieter motor.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Did you do all three items at the same time, or did you do each one separately and then test ride? And do you ride slower when 2-up than you do when riding solo?

My fuel economy increased after I installed aftermarket pipes, air intake and rejetted the carb (all done at the same time). Also, I get better gas mileage in higher elevations, and when the weather is cooler. One time out in the Texas Hill Country, I made it to almost 190 miles before hitting reserve. My bike has only had 86/87 octane its entire life.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The higher octane fuel will burn hotter, not a good thing for motors designed to run on lower octane fuel. As for you getting and extra 50 miles before you flip to reserve that means you added about 12 MPG. Hard to believe, not saying it didn't happen but if you can get an increase like that you should open a shop. Your right hand has a lot to do with your MPG and the amount of fuel you put in your tank at fill up also. Try a couple more tanks of fuel and report back again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts