Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How similar is the placement of the struts in the fender of the C compared to the R, S, or T?

The reason why I'm asking is because of the new Tsukayu Hard Saddlebags for the VTX. They are made specifically for the fender on the R, but I'm wondering if they could just as easily attach to the struts of the C.

http://www.tsukayu.com/HardbagsforVTX.html

I assume the turn signals of the C might get in the way, but I'm replacing those with an LED strip, so that's not an issue.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I assume the turn signals of the C might get in the way, but I'm replacing those with an LED strip, so that's not an issue.
They are not made for the C model. You should be ordering the universal strong or jumbo strong bags. Otherwise your bags will have cutouts for signals that aren't even there.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Otherwise your bags will have cutouts for signals that aren't even there.
Actually, I was planning on mounting my old turn signals (or some LED running lights) inside those cutouts for extra illumination when using the bags on road trips; so the cutouts aren't an issue either. Thanks for checking, though ;)

I like the round shape of these better than any other style I've seen. They are larger than most, too. I attached a photos to compare look and dimension of the "Quick Detachable Hard Saddlebags for Honda VTX" vs. the usual "Quick Release Strong Hardbags".

(Tsukayu needs to com up with some better model names. Sheeesh.)

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Depends what bolts are used.
The measurements may be larger but I bet they have less useable room than the regular bags due to the shock cutouts.
If you really want those bags, consider using an r fender

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends what bolts are used.
The measurements may be larger but I bet they have less useable room than the regular bags due to the shock cutouts.
If you look at one of the installation photos, you can see that they don't really have more of a shock cutout than their other bags. It's more like they just moulded the edge around to give it the appearance of hugging the funder. That is where it extends to 12" wide in the back. They don't seem to have a big cutout inside of them- except from the turn signal. They say capasity is 40 liters, like the "jumbo strong" bags. The regular "strong" hardbags are only 26 liters.

As for the fender, I plan to do the 240 phat rear fender next winter. I think these bubbly/round bags would compliment that. Of course, I'll have to come up with a custom mount for them to work with that. I just want them to work with the stock C struts for now.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
The spacing between the middle and rear fender rail bolts is different between the C model and R/S/T models. The Retros are longer between those two bolts than the C model. Judging by that last picture you posted, it appears that the bags use the front and rear bolts for mounting. If those mounting tabs could be moved, it may work...but you'd have to know that for sure before ordering them. Or you could have a longer tab made so it would reach the C's rear bolt.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mr VTX. Thats exactly what I needed to know.

According to their installation guide, they use the middle and rear bolts on the fender. I attached the photo of that.

If the spacing between those two bolts is different on the C vs. the R, then the bags wouldn't fit on the C. Based on the photo below, it looks like it would be easy to built some kind of extension to the bolt to match up with the holes on the bag.

Hmm. Something to think about.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jus in case someone looks up this thread in the future, I thought I would include a visual aid that is helping me with comparing the C and R for compatibility...

This is a photo of a silver 'R' superimposed on a red 'C'.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts