Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm having an all of a sudden decel/lean popping on my 05' vtx1300S. Before I go and totally screw up my AF screw, I wanted to trouble shoot. Here's what I did prior to the problem. I pulled my K&N air filter off, cleaned and oiled it, then took a long ride down to Deals Gap, where I noticed the problem and figured that it was due to the high elevation, approx. 5500 feet, (I think). I noticed that the popping did not go away when I returned home (whatever Cincinnati elevation is at). I changed the spark plugs which were dark, but I've seen darker. Now I still seem to pop. Any ideas? Could any of my actions, ie/ impropper air filter oiling/cleaning, have caused this? What would make a perfectly tuned bike all of a sudden run lean?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Since your bike was popping before you took the filter off its probably not the culprit. It is important to let the freshly oiled filter cure for 24 hours otherwise the oil can do damage to plugs and the carb. Pull the tank and seat and check all your vacume lines. Also make sure you have no exhaust leak.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't notice the problem until after I pulled the filter and when I was up in the mountains. I'll deffinately check all the areas you suggested. thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts