Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 vtx 1800c with 12,000 miles on it, and I am having all sorts of troubles. I am averaging 14 mpg, the bike surges under low rpm when the motor isn't working very hard, and when I get on it black smoke pours out of the exhaust. I read through a lot of the posts and have tried the grounding fix, new plugs, tunning the power commander, disconnecting the power commander, and also the fpr test. My question with the fpr test is, if it is bad where is it supposed to leak the fuel at? Because when I pulled the vacuum line it leaked out of the breather hose for the fuel tank, that is located down where the swing arm connects to the frame. Please give me any advice you have, I'm hoping that spike has the answer!!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
replace the FPR on this bike, its a common repair item. sounds like its getting WAY too much fuel.
also once you have changed the fpr change that oil, Ill bet it smells like gas by now.

the test is not conclusive. mine was trash and it never leaked. but I went from 19 to 30 mpg when I changed mine.

I wonder if ppl would call me the tinkermatic yet :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I replace the fpr should also replace the o-ring? Are there any crush washers or anything like that, that I should know about when I am ordering it?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Don't ride the bike anymore till you get the FPR changed, you have a very high probability of destroying your engine.
When you change your FPR, change engine oil and filter at the same time. This is very important.

·
Super Moderator
64,049 Posts
1. DO NOT RIDE IT OR RUN IT ANY MORE!!! Until you fix this problem, STAY OFF IT! You are pouring fuel into the engine case and your oil is no better than water in there now and you are running the risk of destroying the engine
2. Replace the fuel pressure regulator, this is the likely problem.
3. Change the oil. Ride it for 10 miles or so and change it again

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
When I replace the fpr should also replace the o-ring? Are there any crush washers or anything like that, that I should know about when I am ordering it?
The FPR will come with an O ring. You must remove the plastic plug before mounting onto the fuel rail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Spike
I run Amsoil in my civic and d the engine flush every other oil change .... do you think it would be a good idea to run that engine flush through my vtx? How long should I run the oil the second time?

·
Super Moderator
64,049 Posts
NO, and you should never use it in a car either. If you use a good oil, they have detergents in them already, that clean the engine as you use it. Engine flushes were OK 30 years ago, now they just aren't needed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in mansfield. I don't know if the drive would be worth it but thank you for the offer. I just ordered the parts so hopefully it will be in this week.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
NO, and you should never use it in a car either. If you use a good oil, they have detergents in them already, that clean the engine as you use it. Engine flushes were OK 30 years ago, now they just aren't needed
wouldnt the flush ruin the transmission in the vtx being its a wet clutch (figured id ask since I didnt know lol)?

·
Super Moderator
64,049 Posts
wouldnt the flush ruin the transmission in the vtx being its a wet clutch (figured id ask since I didnt know lol)?
It would be bad for the whole package, engine&trans and clutch. Bearings in everything and the flush would strip them all of lubrication.

Plus, in the OPs instance here, his engine will already be flushed clean from the excess fuel washing down into the crankcase from the bad FPR. This is why he needs NOT to run the engine at all and fix the fuel problem and change the oil twice before any long rides

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It would be bad for the whole package, engine&trans and clutch. Bearings in everything and the flush would strip them all of lubrication.

Plus, in the OPs instance here, his engine will already be flushed clean from the excess fuel washing down into the crankcase from the bad FPR. This is why he needs NOT to run the engine at all and fix the fuel problem and change the oil twice before any long rides
ah I figured it was something along the lines of bearings with no lube. thanks for the info, always appreciate it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts