Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I am the newest member of the 150 mph club. Nope, it wasn't on a VTX, or any Honda, for that matter.

Two of us rode our sportbikes (well, he has an '06 GSXR1000 and I have a 1983 KZ750 - so some poetic license is in order) out into the canyons and mountains in SoCal Saturday. He couldn't stay with me in the turns (he's a newbie) but he had no problem on the straights. He told me, at a rest stop at the "Ranger Station" on 33 (SoCal folks now know where we rode) that he hit 150 mph trying to catch me running down Lockwood Valley Road.

Well, he let me ride his GIXXER a few miles once we stopped at the Ranger Station. Instant Nirvana. 151 before I let off of the throttle!!! That thing is not only a rocket ship, but it handles like it is on rails.

I am in love. There will soon be a RiceRocket next to the VTX1800, KZ750, CRF230F, and TTR1235LE. A man just can't have too many motorcycles!!!

Next time, hit the govenor at 180 mph!!!

Joe T.

Reactions: Capt. Rory

·
Registered
828 Posts
I only made it into the 170 mph club with my Hayabusa...I think I must be a pussy, it was willing to go quite a bit faster than I was.

I miss that beast. :cry:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'm somewhere in the 160's myself. This whole tunnel vision thing kicked in, and it got a little scary.

How the pros do it regularly is just amazing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am just under 150 mph on my 600rr at the track. But I had a little get off at my last track day and I am re building my confidence.

I know what you mean about not being able to have too many motorcycles. But I am running into a space issue. I live in a townhouse with a 1 car garage. I have my VTX, CBR, and 230f. My roomate is getting a 4 wheeler tomorrow and just recently totaled his Triumph 675.

Dusty

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Oh :(

The closest I came on my old sporty was only an indicated 143 when I let off.

I'm fine only being a member of the 140 club :)

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Been there with a car but a I lack a few mph with the X, perhaps the 1300 final drive will get me there,,,,,,

1970 429 Cleveland. Ford Torino,,,, 160+ mph....

·
Registered
440 Posts
185, mainly because thats where the Busa speedo stopped reading. 160 on my ST :)

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
biod929 said:
2FS4LV said:
I hit 172mph (indicated) on my CBR954RR a few times. I hit 137mph (indicated) on my X.
Must be a Honda thing, I hit 172 indicated on my CBR929.
My 954 hit 174, it was downhill with a tail wind? I haven't tried it since I put on the speedo healer. Maybe 155???

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I topped out my Blackbird which was modded a bit, so I would think I hit an actual speed near 180 or maybe a little above. Topped out my ZX9R as well, but even though it indicated 170, stock speedo's are so far off at that speed it was probably only around 155-160 'ish.

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
I WOTed my buds blackbird when we switched rides. He took my Vmax.
He tried but, couldn't keep up :lol: Pitched a fit about it too. :p
I had every bike I've owned at WOT. Max pegged the speedo amd Xc just kissed 150 indicated. The BB was very comfortable at speed.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
black hills said:
biod929 said:
2FS4LV said:
I hit 172mph (indicated) on my CBR954RR a few times. I hit 137mph (indicated) on my X.
My 954 hit 174, it was downhill with a tail wind? I haven't tried it since I put on the speedo healer. Maybe 155???
I saw a comparison on TV that had the R1 the 929 and the GSXR750. I quess that was 2002 ish, one of the tests they didwas a max top end test and the R1 and 929 were radar'd at 169. so Im thinking the the spedo reading was not too far off.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
biod929 said:
black hills said:
biod929 said:
2FS4LV said:
I saw a comparison on TV that had the R1 the 929 and the GSXR750. I quess that was 2002 ish, one of the tests they didwas a max top end test and the R1 and 929 were radar'd at 169. so Im thinking the the spedo reading was not too far off.
You may be right. I forgot to take into account the gearing changes I made. I had to subtract 10% to get the speedo accurate. But I think about 8% of that was due to the gearing. Maybe I was going faster than I thought?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Going fast is fine, very fine, but getting to the end of the ride is the goal. First last or in between, those who get there win. I don't like reading rider down post. Ya'll have fun, but rember most of us have brawed sholders that carry a heavy burden. Keep in mind who is going to carry your heavy load when you can't. Things go horably wrong at 15 mph, At triple digits on a race track it is bad, on the road it is tragic.I'm not saying don't do it, cause I do it. I am saying put brain in gear before, WOT.

·
Registered
828 Posts
black hills said:
That's about what I estimate my actual speed was (155) when I 'did' 170 on the Busa. :roll:

·
Registered
828 Posts
venarius said:
Oh :( The closest I came on my old sporty was only an indicated 143 when I let off.
Must not have been yer garden-variety 883 or 1200, even considering a bunch of speedo error, that's awfully fast for one of those.

·
Registered
687 Posts
150? Shoot, that's only 3rd gear on the Busa. *yawn*

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Art Vandalay said:
venarius said:
Oh :( The closest I came on my old sporty was only an indicated 143 when I let off.
Must not have been yer garden-variety 883 or 1200, even considering a bunch of speedo error, that's awfully fast for one of those.
heh no I often use the phrase sportbike and sporty interchangebly.

SV-1000S

1 - 20 of 83 Posts