Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
well

I have gone about 160 + mph on my R1 before I run out of room, my buddy is always ahead of me on his bussa so I figure he is doing about 170...

I have gone 140+ mph on 4th gear on my 04 Cobra, surprisingly the car and the bike are very stable at those speeds... thank god for good brakes and tires

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
EtrnlSoldier said:
150? Shoot, that's only 3rd gear on the Busa. *yawn*
Speedo error is huge at those speeds. I was surprised to learn from a friend that at Bonneville this year stock busa were having touble getting 180!! Of course things are a lot tougher on the salt. Elevation is 4000'+ and this year it was around 105 deg. so power output would be considerably lower than normal. I would love to get into the 200mph club! For those who think 150mph on a modern motorcycle is just crazy, you may want to chek this out to put things in perspective: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15octobe ... otors.html

·
Registered
362 Posts
When I was a kid, I hit 36 mph once on a downhll with a tailwind on my 84 Suzuki FA 50. That was of course accomplished with my elbows tucked in, finding the "sweet spot" on the throttle and tucking down low below the windshield.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Hey, I hit 182 mph ground speed in my 1956 cessna 172. Does that mean I'm in the club, too?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We had a policeman crash that was going fast enough they didn't charge the girl that pulled out from the stop sign. They say he was a real nice guy and a good cop. He isn't anymore but his wife and two kids are around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
CBR1100XX SUPER BLACKBIRD

People used to always ask me when could you ever take that bike over 130mph? I would honestly answer that I could not recall ever having the bike out for a ride and not hitting at least 130. With this wisdom I traded my CBR1100XX Blackbird for a Goldwing this year and found out that I could still enjoy riding with the VTX and the Wing. Unfortunately, when the guy down the street found out about the Goldwing he rushed into the dealership and bought my Blackbird. Now I have to watch it go by my house without me, and you know what? I really miss it really bad.........

·
Registered
828 Posts
crankshaft said:
Keep it off the streets.

Two words for all you triple digit road racers.

TRACK DAYS!!!!!.
I'm not a 'road racer', and I didn't do 170 on the 'streets'...I did it on a rural, western South Dakota two-lane highway, in broad daylight, and I could see no traffic ahead, or behind.

A little 'risk' to myself perhaps, but the 'driving public' wasn't anywhere to be found.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Art Vandalay said:
crankshaft said:
Keep it off the streets.

TRACK DAYS!!!!!.
I'm not a 'road racer', and I didn't do 170 on the 'streets'...I did it on a rural, western South Dakota two-lane highway, in broad daylight, and I could see no traffic ahead, or behind.

A little 'risk' to myself perhaps, but the 'driving public' wasn't anywhere to be found.
Not that it's legal but that's a lot better than running down a local traffic populated area or some twisty road. Don't get me wrong, I understand the drive to go fast. You should give a Track Day a chance you might enjoy it. Plus it's legal and safer. In addition, you won't have to worry who might pull out off a side street or on ramp as you head down the road at 100+ mph.

Just putting the thought in everyones head that feel that drive. Track Days may be the answer.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Art Vandalay said:
crankshaft said:
Keep it off the streets.

TRACK DAYS!!!!!.

Me too!! I don't think some people realize the roads we have available to us. We can actually find miles of highway with no side roads and no traffic. I 'm not endangering anyone but myself. On the downside of our location, a track day is going to involve at least a days travel. But I will do one someday.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hit 155 in 1984 with my Kawasaki 750 Turbo on the German Autobahn between Frankfort and Wiesbaden. The bike had more to go, but I sure didn't! Talk about tunnel vision and the thoughts of a Porche pulling out to pass someone made me rethink what I was doing. Traded it for a Voyager XII shortly after. Love my X, enough speed for me now.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Another interesting experiment for all you speed demons out there. Try to stop from 150+mph, I think you will be surprised with the results. 150-50 seems very quick, 50-0 seems like it takes forever??

·
Registered
828 Posts
crankshaft said:
You should give a Track Day a chance you might enjoy it. Plus it's legal and safer. In addition, you won't have to worry who might pull out off a side street or on ramp as you head down the road at 100+ mph.

Just putting the thought in everyones head that feel that drive. Track Days may be the answer.
I have almost zero interest in riding on a dedicated roadrace course, even though my wife raced in the CRA (Central Roadracing Association) club-racing at Brainerd, Minesota for three seasons. I was the schmuck who bump-started her SRX 600 for her.

I will admit, however, that in the three years and 37,000 miles I rode my Hayabusa, the times I turned the key and didn't hit at LEAST 100mph at some point during the ride can be counted on both hands. A little 'burst' here and there in the boondocks, isn't as tragically irresponsible as it may sound to those condemned to live in more populated places.

Interestingly (not!), I now have about 2500 miles on the Burgman 650 and have seen 'triple-digits' on it's (lying-a$$) speedo four times now. I suppose it's a symptom of the same-old disease rearing it's fugly head yet again....on a much lesser scale, of course. :wink:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
160 mph between Leakey and Bandera Texas on a two lane road trying to catch my riding partner, his speedo was off the dial! :lol: I finally backed off when it suddenly dawned on me you can die real easy at these speeds!

Kruz 8)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Of course. I think the tailwind was roughly 62 mph. Landing was interesting, but fun!

Art Vandalay said:
winddance said:
Hey, I hit 182 mph ground speed in my 1956 cessna 172. Does that mean I'm in the club, too?
Not bad for a 172......tailwind perhaps? :wink:

·
Registered
687 Posts
black hills said:
EtrnlSoldier said:
150? Shoot, that's only 3rd gear on the Busa. *yawn*
Speedo error is huge at those speeds. I was surprised to learn from a friend that at Bonneville this year stock busa were having touble getting 180!! Of course things are a lot tougher on the salt. Elevation is 4000'+ and this year it was around 105 deg. so power output would be considerably lower than normal. I would love to get into the 200mph club! For those who think 150mph on a modern motorcycle is just crazy, you may want to chek this out to put things in perspective: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15octobe ... otors.html
Speedo error or not, 150 mph is yawn city on a Busa. And, I don't ride on the Salt.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts