Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
2000 ZX-12R, 200 indicated first month I owned it (probably about 185 actual). I have yet to find a racetrack where I can hit that speed, though the front straight at Road America is an easy 160+. Not sure about the front straight at Putnam, but it's pretty fast too.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Pvt93 said:
I hit 155 in 1984 with my Kawasaki 750 Turbo on the German Autobahn between Frankfort and Wiesbaden. The bike had more to go, but I sure didn't! Talk about tunnel vision and the thoughts of a Porche pulling out to pass someone made me rethink what I was doing. Traded it for a Voyager XII shortly after. Love my X, enough speed for me now.
We spent 7 years in Germany. Nothing like running up on a Trabi barely doing 55mph with it's two cigarette bright taillights in the fog. The Autobahn is a gas 4sure.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
EtrnlSoldier said:
black hills said:
EtrnlSoldier said:
150? Shoot, that's only 3rd gear on the Busa. *yawn*
Speedo error is huge at those speeds. I was surprised to learn from a friend that at Bonneville this year stock busa were having touble getting 180!! Of course things are a lot tougher on the salt. Elevation is 4000'+ and this year it was around 105 deg. so power output would be considerably lower than normal. I would love to get into the 200mph club! For those who think 150mph on a modern motorcycle is just crazy, you may want to chek this out to put things in perspective: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15octobe ... otors.html
Speedo error or not, 150 mph is yawn city on a Busa. And, I don't ride on the Salt.

wow that Vincent looks sweet 130hp Honda vtwin

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hit an indicated 155 on my GS 1150 back in the day. About 1/2 a grand from redline at half throttle, she was still wanting more.

The reason I haven't tried anything since is now that I'm older and wiser (questionable) I look back and realize I was riding between two sets of woods where deer LOVE to come into the road, wearing by finest baseball cap (backwards of course), shorts, and t-shirt.

I hate helmets, but to this day I scare myself thinking about that. Plain and simple, I GOT LUCKY. :lol: :lol:

Then again, not sure anything is going to help at 155 if you go down.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Indicated 175mph on my Busa....whatever that translates to in the real world... all I know is it was f'n fast and my knees were knockin' when I stopped and got off the bike! :shock:

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
EtrnlSoldier said:
black hills said:
EtrnlSoldier said:
150? Shoot, that's only 3rd gear on the Busa. *yawn*
Speedo error is huge at those speeds. I was surprised to learn from a friend that at Bonneville this year stock busa were having touble getting 180!! Of course things are a lot tougher on the salt. Elevation is 4000'+ and this year it was around 105 deg. so power output would be considerably lower than normal. I would love to get into the 200mph club! For those who think 150mph on a modern motorcycle is just crazy, you may want to chek this out to put things in perspective: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15octobe ... otors.html
Speedo error or not, 150 mph is yawn city on a Busa. And, I don't ride on the Salt.
You must have a bigger set than I do, I've never been yawning at 150+?? It usually has me paying pretty close attention? How often do you do it???

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dude,

I have been riding zuki rockets for years. The gixxer is great and handles like a dream. But if you are looking to by new you better look at the Hyabusa. 1300cc, fuel injected, ass biting gut wrenching power. Even a 120MPH you twist the throttle and dude you are gone. I have had all brands try to hang with me in the Rockies, no way. If you like canyon riding the busa is the way to flyyyyyyyyy.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I think you 150 + dudes Rock. I know I get a"rush" when I find a place where I can open up the X. I would feel more safe going the speeds you guys are doing on the open roads than doing the speed limit in these small towns I ride though with the cages. Its not "IF" the elderly woman who doesnt see you will pull out......its when! Not to mention teens showing off......anyone talking on cell phones...or my favorite, the guy reading the newspaper.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hey look at me I go fast - where is the skill in making a fast motorcycle go fast - hell they do it practically by themselves. I have pegged my X - fast enough for me.

NOW SLOW DOWN!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
EtrnlSoldier said:
black hills said:
EtrnlSoldier said:
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15octobe ... otors.html[/url]
You must have a bigger set than I do, I've never been yawning at 150+?? It usually has me paying pretty close attention? How often do you do it???
Once in awhile. :wink:[/quote:3ga32kr6]

I imagine you have good roads for that in your area? I've never ridden a Busa, other than in town. How do they work on high speed sweepers? are they as stable as the liter class sportbikes? How much more work are they in the twisties than a CBR or R1?

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Smack said:
Hey look at me I go fast - where is the skill in making a fast motorcycle go fast - hell they do it practically by themselves. I have pegged my X - fast enough for me.

The skill comes into play when you run that speed up to a big sweeper, slow to 120, bend it in, then accelerate on to the next straight. If that doesn't get the adrenaline going you must be dead!!! If you really want to find the flaws in your bikes handling this is the test!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
black hills said:
EtrnlSoldier said:
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15octobe ... otors.html[/url]
Once in awhile. :wink:[/quote:1hdk3hhj]

I imagine you have good roads for that in your area? I've never ridden a Busa, other than in town. How do they work on high speed sweepers? are they as stable as the liter class sportbikes? How much more work are they in the twisties than a CBR or R1?[/quote:1hdk3hhj]

Actually, a Busa corners better than most people (especially other sport bikers) would believe. High speed sweepers are where this bike excels.

As far as roads for that, we have the so-called "Loneliest Highway in America," amongst others, and we have a couple of really cool racetracks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Smack said:

The skill is in the corners. Your X, quite frankly, just like mine, SUCKS in the corners.

And, you can scream at others, trying to tell them what to do all you want but, you aren't their Daddy. You wanna go slow? Then feel free to do so. Leave others to their own.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Wow!! A lot of posts!!! I had no idea that I wasn't the only one out there riding a cruiser and a sportbike!!!

Now, if one of y'all fine fellows would like to loan me your Blackbird / Super Haew / GIXXER1000 / Busa / ZXR10 for a few weeks, maybe I can get this speed and handling "bug" out of my system!!!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Regards,
Joe T.

·
Registered
440 Posts
For those that like speed. Check out the East Coast Timing Association.

Become a member and you have 1 mile to see how fast you can go. Stock wheel based busa, turbo charged, doing about 250. I can't remember the exact speed.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
181 indicated on my buddy's R1 and high 170's indicated on my gsxr-750, true speeds were probably high 160's. IMO, if you're gonna top 140 or so, you might as well max it out, if traffic conditions permit. Anything much over 100 and you're going to jail regardless!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
DonvtxC said:
181 indicated on my buddy's R1 and high 170's indicated on my gsxr-750, true speeds were probably high 160's. IMO, if you're gonna top 140 or so, you might as well max it out, if traffic conditions permit. Anything much over 100 and you're going to jail regardless!
Thats true, but when i'm traveling 140 in the fast lane of the highway, even though it looks clear...I had that thought that if some A-hole does decide to get into the fast lane I probably wouldn't have enough time to slow down to avoid an accident.

That...and V-twin sporties top out at lower MPH than do their inline 4 counterparts...owing to their greater torque but lower HP. I think my SV should have topped out at around 155 or so...so at 144mph I wasn't that far away...at least not as far as a Busa would have had to go.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
DonvtxC said:
I got picked up years ago on my VFR. I was on Hwy 44 near the badlands. There are some nice big sweepers there. The only other vehicle in sight was a pickup (I thought) a mile or so up the road. No problem, I'll wait until he get's closer then slow down to 65 or so. Well, It wasn't a pickup it was a pennington Co. Sheriff in a blazer... By the time he got turned around I was stopped, off the bike, jacket and helmet off and had my liscence in hand. He didn't even get out!! He rolled down the window and said "Hop in". I could see the radar flashing 132 and he asked how fast I was going. I told him "apparently 132, I didn't think this thing would go that fast?" He gave me a dirty look and said "The first time it flashed it was 140 something". I explained "but, there is nobody else out here, how dangerous can it be?" To which he replied " I'm out here" I said "yes, and if you weren't there wouldn't be a problem would there?" He laughed and said he would give me a choice. I could sit in jail until I saw the judge Monday morning (it was friday evening) or he could write me for 99 in a 55 and I could mail it in. I chose the later, $165.00 seemed like a lot better deal than the weekend in jail?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had a few 160+ [ measured ] runs on a slightly-stock GSXR-1000.. and regularly saw 140-150mph on my old CBR600rr on several tracks.

On the street? Well, i've rarely have gone over even 100mph. I had my VTX1300 over 80mph just a few times to pass. I normally like cruising at the 65mph range [ most comfortable for me and my wife ].

41 - 60 of 83 Posts