Honda VTX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
black hills said:
DonvtxC said:
181 indicated on my buddy's R1 and high 170's indicated on my gsxr-750, true speeds were probably high 160's. IMO, if you're gonna top 140 or so, you might as well max it out, if traffic conditions permit. Anything much over 100 and you're going to jail regardless!
I got picked up years ago on my VFR. I was on Hwy 44 near the badlands. There are some nice big sweepers there. The only other vehicle in sight was a pickup (I thought) a mile or so up the road. No problem, I'll wait until he get's closer then slow down to 65 or so. Well, It wasn't a pickup it was a pennington Co. Sheriff in a blazer... By the time he got turned around I was stopped, off the bike, jacket and helmet off and had my liscence in hand. He didn't even get out!! He rolled down the window and said "Hop in". I could see the radar flashing 132 and he asked how fast I was going. I told him "apparently 132, I didn't think this thing would go that fast?" He gave me a dirty look and said "The first time it flashed it was 140 something". I explained "but, there is nobody else out here, how dangerous can it be?" To which he replied " I'm out here" I said "yes, and if you weren't there wouldn't be a problem would there?" He laughed and said he would give me a choice. I could sit in jail until I saw the judge Monday morning (it was friday evening) or he could write me for 99 in a 55 and I could mail it in. I chose the later, $165.00 seemed like a lot better deal than the weekend in jail?
If he told you to "hop in" without searching you, then he's an idiot.

·
Registered
470 Posts
hubby made it to 150 plus i stopped looking at 150 and just held my head in his back then i started smacking him lol it will not happen again i promise you that not with me on there

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
EtrnlSoldier said:
black hills said:
DonvtxC said:
181 indicated on my buddy's R1 and high 170's indicated on my gsxr-750, true speeds were probably high 160's. IMO, if you're gonna top 140 or so, you might as well max it out, if traffic conditions permit. Anything much over 100 and you're going to jail regardless!
I got picked up years ago on my VFR. I was on Hwy 44 near the badlands. There are some nice big sweepers there. The only other vehicle in sight was a pickup (I thought) a mile or so up the road. No problem, I'll wait until he get's closer then slow down to 65 or so. Well, It wasn't a pickup it was a pennington Co. Sheriff in a blazer... By the time he got turned around I was stopped, off the bike, jacket and helmet off and had my liscence in hand. He didn't even get out!! He rolled down the window and said "Hop in". I could see the radar flashing 132 and he asked how fast I was going. I told him "apparently 132, I didn't think this thing would go that fast?" He gave me a dirty look and said "The first time it flashed it was 140 something". I explained "but, there is nobody else out here, how dangerous can it be?" To which he replied " I'm out here" I said "yes, and if you weren't there wouldn't be a problem would there?" He laughed and said he would give me a choice. I could sit in jail until I saw the judge Monday morning (it was friday evening) or he could write me for 99 in a 55 and I could mail it in. I chose the later, $165.00 seemed like a lot better deal than the weekend in jail?
If he told you to "hop in" without searching you, then he's an idiot.

I don't Know? I've never been searched before getting into a police car? They usually look at my liscence, then say " come back to the car". That is usually where things start going down hill.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
<---------------------- 178 on my hayabusa, before I realized it was NOT straining and I had to admit it had more power than I had nerve 8)

·
Registered
833 Posts
EtrnlSoldier said:
Smack said:
Hey look at me I go fast - where is the skill in making a fast motorcycle go fast - hell they do it practically by themselves. I have pegged my X - fast enough for me.

NOW SLOW DOWN!!!!! :lol:
The skill is in the corners. Your X, quite frankly, just like mine, SUCKS in the corners.

And, you can scream at others, trying to tell them what to do all you want but, you aren't their Daddy. You wanna go slow? Then feel free to do so. Leave others to their own.
You guys are killing me with your skill in the corners - the thread is about the 150mph Club - I want to see the corners you are taking at that speed. 120mph long sweepers - still not much skill there either - what you missed that is most important is I was smiling when I said now slow down (no screaming from me - it was tongue in cheek - now smile :lol:

By the way my X handles fine in the corners - but corners take skill - blasting along at 150 mph on a fast bike is easy.

·
Registered
716 Posts
EtrnlSoldier said:
Actually, a Busa corners better than most people (especially other sport bikers) would believe. High speed sweepers are where this bike excels.
LMAO! That is sooooo true man! I can't tell you how many times I've spanked Gixxer 1000s in the corners. There's a general misconception that the Busa is "big & heavy"... well, yeah it's bigger and heavier than a 600 or liter class bike but it still handles very well in the twisties. Conversely, I've had my ass handed to me by guys riding 600s in the corners. It really all boils down to rider skill in the end. However, the Busa will definitely hang in the corners. I've converted a few non-believers personally! Gotta love this bike!!! :lol:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Smack said:
EtrnlSoldier said:
Smack said:
Hey look at me I go fast - where is the skill in making a fast motorcycle go fast - hell they do it practically by themselves. I have pegged my X - fast enough for me.

NOW SLOW DOWN!!!!! :lol:
The skill is in the corners. Your X, quite frankly, just like mine, SUCKS in the corners.

And, you can scream at others, trying to tell them what to do all you want but, you aren't their Daddy. You wanna go slow? Then feel free to do so. Leave others to their own.
You guys are killing me with your skill in the corners - the thread is about the 150mph Club - I want to see the corners you are taking at that speed. 120mph long sweepers - still not much skill there either - what you missed that is most important is I was smiling when I said now slow down (no screaming from me - it was tongue in cheek - now smile :lol:

By the way my X handles fine in the corners - but corners take skill - blasting along at 150 mph on a fast bike is easy.
:D

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mad Scotsman said:
EtrnlSoldier said:
Actually, a Busa corners better than most people (especially other sport bikers) would believe. High speed sweepers are where this bike excels.
LMAO! That is sooooo true man! I can't tell you how many times I've spanked Gixxer 1000s in the corners. There's a general misconception that the Busa is "big & heavy"... well, yeah it's bigger and heavier than a 600 or liter class bike but it still handles very well in the twisties. Conversely, I've had my ass handed to me by guys riding 600s in the corners. It really all boils down to rider skill in the end. However, the Busa will definitely hang in the corners. I've converted a few non-believers personally! Gotta love this bike!!! :lol:

Oh I do! I do!

·
Registered
716 Posts
EtrnlSoldier said:
Mad Scotsman said:
EtrnlSoldier said:

Oh I do! I do!

Nice ride bro! Doesn't this bike just give you the biggest f'n rush when you twist the wick? Make me grin from ear to ear! :D

BTW, I was just out in Vegas this past spring with the busa. Rode down past the Laughlin river run but kept on going. I was on a mission to SoCal. Blew through the Mojave down there at an average of 140mph... made a long boring drive a little more interesting! 8)

·
Registered
440 Posts
The Busa is one mean arse beast. My best friend has an 2001 Busa with a 40 shot and that things is a blast to ride.

Hwy 11, here in SC, has a nice straight away that is about 3.5 miles. The speedo reads 185 and it will get there damn quick.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mad Scotsman said:
Nice ride bro! Doesn't this bike just give you the biggest f'n rush when you twist the wick? Make me grin from ear to ear!
Thank you. Same to you sir!

And yes, this bike brightens my day every time I get on it. No matter what kind of day I'm having, warming up the beast, hitting the open highway and cranking it up a bit just tickles my fancy, putting me in an "it's great to be alive" mood. To the best bike ever: :beer3:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wounder what the cops would do if you got pulled over for 150? I'm sure it would be a stiff fine to say/pay the least.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
fozzir said:
I wounder what the cops would do if you got pulled over for 150? I'm sure it would be a stiff fine to say/pay the least.
15 years ago I got pulled over for 126 in a 55. It was a $160.00 fine. That was after he wrote the ticket for 99 in a 55? I'm sure today it would be a lot worse!

·
Registered
469 Posts
On a related note.........they have really stepped up speed patrols around Indy lately. I counted 6 patrol cars between 56th & 38th streets (west side I465) the other day, all had "customers".

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Hunter S Thompson said "Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

That happens to me at about 150 (I'm a 170mph club member) when I found I no longer had TIME for the fear of death.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I've only had the trike up to 125. Had the little Kawi 500 up to 100. Both had plenty of room left, but I ran out of road...I see most of you guys are on 1800's...what can I expect from my 1300 when I get it?

Do I have that "break in" nonsense to contend with for the 1300? thanks...

·
Registered
80 Posts
S&W Triker said:
I've only had the trike up to 125. Had the little Kawi 500 up to 100. Both had plenty of room left, but I ran out of road...I see most of you guys are on 1800's...what can I expect from my 1300 when I get it?

Do I have that "break in" nonsense to contend with for the 1300? thanks...
you have to break them all in. don't break it in easy either. ride it during break-in period like you will later. I suppose it is "nonsende" in the way that you're just riding the bike like normal in any case. but it's a huge importance to the motor, all those bits and pieces are shaving and fitting. another reason to use break-in oil and get changed it out of there before 3000 miles.

got a buddy who has a 1300 with a hyper-charger and V&H's, but he doesn't ride wild, so don't know about his absolute top speed. I do know that he's pretty quick!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Some buddies of mine at the Salt Flats. Five of them went over 200mph .
Crazy.....but if your going to do it that would be the place...

The one on the farthest right is my friend's son. He's only about 22 and is going to race in the class 11 Baja 1000 next November. ( thats the volkswagen class that never finishes) A bunch of us are going down there for it. Should be a lot of fun...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
matchstick said:
I think you 150 + dudes Rock. I know I get a"rush" when I find a place where I can open up the X. I would feel more safe going the speeds you guys are doing on the open roads than doing the speed limit in these small towns I ride though with the cages. Its not "IF" the elderly woman who doesnt see you will pull out......its when! Not to mention teens showing off......anyone talking on cell phones...or my favorite, the guy reading the newspaper.
There's no magic, anyone can do it, you just have to have the right machine under you. The fastest I'd ever been on a bike before I bought the ZX-14 was 120. I broke that on my way home from the dealership on the big Z. Since then I have taken it to 160 mph once and 140 mph four or five times. Hitting 120 is like childs play but at that speed you can get hurt ...or worse really easy so I pay attention.

Kruz 8)

61 - 80 of 83 Posts