Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new to me 02 1800 this weekend, knowing it was a project (for a project price - with v&h exhaust, ‘17 stamped tires with very low miles, and Kuryakyn accessories out the wazoo).

Clutch is stuck, and I want to make sure I’m on the right path.

What I’ve done:
1 - Bled the master/slave by way of vacuum pump. No love.
2. Cracked the throttle while holding the clutch in. No love.
3. When the clutch lever is pulled, I hear something moving (with motor off).

My planned next steps are:
1. Remove LH grip to give the lever more room to travel. I don’t expect this will address the issue, but it’s worth trying.
2. Pull clutch basket to see if this bike is victim to the dreaded sheared rivets.

Anything else I should try before pulling the clutch basket?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Lou. I’m in north DFW. Is that real TX? (If this posts multiple times, it’s because the board is being weird, probably since I’m new).

I started at Bareass (after finding them via this board), just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing any diagnostic tests.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Put the tranny in 5th gear, hold the clutch lever in, and hit the starter button. It will help if you shove the bike against a wall, to keep it from trying to roll, while doing this. Good luck. I have unstuck many clutches using this method, it might take sever tries, but it will work.

·
Super Moderator
63,684 Posts
@Lou. I’m in north DFW. Is that real TX? (If this posts multiple times, it’s because the board is being weird, probably since I’m new).

I started at Bareass (after finding them via this board), just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing any diagnostic tests.
There's nothing wrong with the board. If you had gone to the "New Members Intro" board you would have seen the Sticky thread at the top "Please Read First" and saw that your first 5 posts must be seen and approved by a moderator before they will show up on the public board. This helps keep spamming down. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put the tranny in 5th gear, hold the clutch lever in, and hit the starter button. It will help if you shove the bike against a wall, to keep it from trying to roll, while doing this. Good luck. I have unstuck many clutches using this method, it might take sever tries, but it will work.
Thanks. I’ll try this tomorrow. Damn thing took me for a ride at the sellers when I popped it in first... (seller said he’d ridden it around the block a couple months prior - for what it’s worth).

Just want to diagnose the bike before dumping cash into it, and would really like a spin around the block to see if anything else needs attention. She has some gremlins,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success!

While the clutch wouldn’t unstick doing the against the wall trick, I’d read elsewhere about someone getting it to unstick while riding it.

So I ziptied the clutch (with tools in my pocket to release the zip tie) and went for a quick spin. Lord knows she has plenty of torque to allow this.

Got er up to 5th, maybe a mile into the ride, at a low speed, and cracked the throttle a couple times. Eventually it let loose and now we’re in business.

Now I just gotta chase down some wiring issues and get ‘er inspected and in my name.

Good lord she has a lot of torque and sounds awesome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When this didn’t work, I tried the suggestion I’d seen elsewhere - riding it around the neighborhood with the clutch pulled in.

After about a mile the clutch loosened up, and now she shifts well.

Thanks y’all!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Replace your clutch lever, the bushing inside wears out quickly, your lever should be 5 1/2 inches from center of grip to center of lever

1 - 12 of 12 Posts