Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know of any aftermarket Hi Intensity coils (higher output)
aviliable?

Doug

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Bareass172 said:
I know of 3 people who tried Nology coils, none were very impressed with them.
And, I am one. Don't waste your money.

I am one, aren't I, Bare? Huh, huh, huh? :wink:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have read a bunch about deep plug not firing above idle and other stuff. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to go with individual coils for each plug, getting all plugs firing. I know MSD makes coils that would probably work, but haven't done a whole lot with it. Would I have to go away from the 3ohm coils with 2 of them?? Anyone who knows would be great.

·
Registered
455 Posts
There is really no reason to go to an aftermarket ignition. They only way you would see any benefit was if the stock ignition was not lighting the fuel mix properly. With the modern ignitions on most cars and bikes now, having a problem lighting the mix is a thing of the past.

As for firing all the plugs at once, might work, but honda made it that way for a reason. Might cause choas in the combustion chamber if both plugs fire at the same time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
ya I don't just buy that, that would beg the question why they would but 2 plugs in there in the first place. It cost more, and manufacturing looks to save ever possible penny. I mean really if you can make the iginition system $5 cheaper and multiple that by how many bikes is ends up being a lot of money. Engineer don't just add things for the fun of it. There is definately a reason they are there, the question is why don't both fire.

·
Registered
258 Posts
ya I don't just buy that, that would beg the question why they would but 2 plugs in there in the first place. It cost more, and manufacturing looks to save ever possible penny. I mean really if you can make the iginition system $5 cheaper and multiple that by how many bikes is ends up being a lot of money. Engineer don't just add things for the fun of it. There is definately a reason they are there, the question is why don't both fire.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My theory, and just a theory, is that the reason that the deep plugs only fire at idle is because most of the time idle is lean and these engines don't have a vacuume advance that can compensate for the longer burn time needed, so hence firing two plugs at once to fully burn up the mix.

Now this is just my theory, probally way off base.

You maybe right, might gain some TQ by firing all four at once. I guess the only way to know is to try it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
yank said:
Does any one know of any aftermarket Hi Intensity coils (higher output)
aviliable?

Doug
I've run several types and now running MSD versions. Save your money and keep the stock ones. You do have to make sure you check your wires where they fit into the stock coils to ensure the conductors haven't arched and created extra resistance. Usually a quick 1/4" - 1/2" trimming will help.

·
Registered
258 Posts
again vacuum advance does nothing, electronic ignition has all that built in.
Something else I am waiting for Dynojet to release, ignition control module. I know that with it we all will be able to free up a bunch of power. At least that is what I found on the last electonic timed engine I worked on, 1 degree of advance above 4000 RPM took me from 407HP up to 463hp. But that was a Chevy SB 383. So if our engines respond anything like that we could see 110+hp, but pipe dreams for now.

Still does anyone know if it would be an advantage to fire both or not.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Vacuume advance at idle will allow the leaner mix to acheive max cylinder pressure when the piston reaches TDC or just past. Without it the engine runs ruff and hotter at idle. I only brought that up as an example, I have not seen a electronic ignition that advances the timing up to 20* at idle, And I am sure our bikes ignition doesn't do that. Thats where the extra plug comes in.

Now if you are talking about advancing the ignition timing, I agree with you that there will probally be power to be made. I just think the one plug lights the mix well enough. If two were to be lighting the mix I think a different piston would need to be used to keep the flame fronts from colliding and causing detonation.

It would be an interesting experiment.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
There is only one signal wire going to each coil to spark two plugs each.

The idea that both plugs are not firing is a myth.
One might fire brighter than the other because of the
direction of the spark,
and one might gunk up faster than the other,
but they both fire.

One plug fires from the center terminal to the outer terminal,
the other plug fires from the outer terminal to the center terminal.

·
Registered
455 Posts
So why will the inductive timing light light up at idle on the deep plugs but when the throttle is opened, it's like someone hit a switch and won't light at all? :?:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Our plugs fire in a unique way. In the same cylinder, one plug will fire traditionally (shallow plug) from negative to positive and the other plug (deeper one) will fire positive to negative (inverted). View this as a completed circuit. This can be easily measured with a peak KV tester.

I was exploring this back in 2003 when I was trying to track the root cause of plug fouling. This did not contribute to the fouling and neither did our stock coils.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
meesier42 said:
Something else I am waiting for Dynojet to release, ignition control module. I know that with it we all will be able to free up a bunch of power.
Actually, I believe txvtx found that our bikes lose power when you advance the timing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts