Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
The 1300 with a 1800 final drive. Will be quick, but it will "run out of steam" up top on the rpm's. If your type of riding is more like long distance cruising. You might not like it.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
can you just swap out the gears from a 1300 to 1800 in the final?

yes, you'll need some special tools to do it though. cheapest way to do it is to just swap drives, or send your drive to Showtime56 and he'll swap the gears for you. Very reasonable and he has everything to make sure it's done right.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
can you just swap out the gears from a 1300 to 1800 in the final?
You would change the gears and the housing. Its a unit. You can get the parts(gears) separately from the dealer. But then you have to setup the ring gear and pinion gear. The pinion depth to ring gear takes time. So find a housing unit. Its complete with the gears.

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
I've used my gps to compare gas mileage and actual speeds between the 13 and 18 final:

Cons with the 18 -
Worse gas mileage
Speedo way, way off
rpms seem very high on highway, and I never really considered the 13 final bad in that regard.

It is very fun for hitting mountain twisty backroads though. If you do a lot of that type of riding - you will probably like it.
If you are already complaining about the bike needing 6th gear, or do a bit of highway or long flat straight road riding - you probably won't like it.

Top end really isn't affected, though the bike will be screaming.
Yeah, what Poison said. I love it, but on the highway, you feel like you should have another gear left. I'm only getting about 30 mpg with it. I have the speedohealer and my speedo is dead on, my odometer is 3% off. Not bad I'd say. My speedo was 19% off before the speedohealer (that's also with a 165/80R15 cartire which threw me a little off too.)

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I gave it a try before I put my bike up for the winter. I had a new 1800 drive so I thought what the heck, I was going on one last ride of the season about a 300 mile round triper. I will agree it is not made for the highway, I didn't like the higher rpm's at 70 mph, expecially with loud pipes I really wanted to shift all the time, I shift by sound and the higher rpm's just didn't feel right. I also didn't notice much of differance in MPG but I didn't hammer it at all times either. The one thing I did like is the ability to take off in second gear riding 2-up if I had to, something that was very hard to do with the 1300 drive. As far as my speedometer goes it did through it off alot, when I was going 65 mph (according to GPS) my speedo showed 78 MPH. If I were to use my bike for a "around town" bike only I would probably stay with the 1800 drive or if I were to go with a 250 rear then I would also keep the 1800 drive but sinse I do mostly highway to work and weekend daily trips of around 300 to 500 miles I'll keep my 1300 drive.

With that said I know where you can get a good 1800 drive with 300 miles on it for $125 or trade for something of equal value. :thumbup:

G

·
I didnt see any diff. in mileage also. Im getting about 38 to 42 and sometimes better, it all depends on how Im rideing.
The rpm diff. is about 230 at about 65mph.
My speedo is off by only 10% with the 1800 fd. Thats clocked with Charlie D and he checked his with gps. I can live with that. I love the 18 fd and leaveing it in :lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
We did the same thing with the Suzuki C-50. Using the C-90 drive and a few minor mods, the opposite occurred. with the upgraded drive, the RPM range was widened and it felt like the bike now had a 6th gear. This proved great for highway cruzing and the low end didn't suffer anything noticable. That is interesting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts